User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You all make some good points. Until there is a viable alternative to fossil fuels, we are going to be at the mercy of who ever controls the flow of oil. As we have seen in the freight business, competition keeps prices lower. Competition also makes companies operate at a more efficient level. They have to be efficient in order to be competitive. 8)
Old 05-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750

I had read an article about that, the amount of energy it takes to make bio-diesel. To grow and plant the seeds, harvest the product, create more seeds, then refine the product to make bio-diesel.

The article said it takes more energy to make bio-diesel than what energy can be created from the bio-diesel its self. If that is the case and demand is high on bio-diesel would'nt we see the prices just as high as standard diesel? And then what affect will that have on the price of gasoline?
Okay, the article "says"???

Here is the problem with that. Who, or what is the source of that information?? Unfortunately, many of the people who write supposedly "scientific" articles are less concerned about proper dissemination of information, and more concerned with promoting an economic or political agenda. Also remember that those figures are compiled based upon the energy production infrastructure as it is now, not as it could be. Consequently, I consider whatever numbers are being tossed about as being rather suspect.

Now, if gasoline was still $1.25 per gallon, then economic viability could be an issue in the short term, but we are now at a point where $100.00 per barrel oil is not at all an unrealistic possibility.

To answer the second part of your question:

Common logic would seem to indicate that the dramatic increases in fuel prices would have a crippling effect upon our economy. So far, our economy has absorbed and digested them, and is continuing to grow, although I do not personally believe that it is growing as well as many of the so-called "experts" would have you believe. There are still some very serious issues to be addressed, and there are some MAJOR problems facing us in the short term.

What you have to remember is that when indexed for inflation, fuel costs have not risen any faster than the cost of housing over the past thirty to fourty years; what HAS happened is that these fuel price increases have been rather drastic, and the price fluctuations have occurred in relatively
short period of time; thus, the impact has been more painful.

Even if hempoline or biodiesel wound up costing as much as fossil fuel based gas or diesel, there would still be much more satbility in terms of supply, the Oil Cartels (and terrorist groups) would have a large source of their revenue decreased, environmental concerns, including water and air quality would be addressed, and the price fluctuations over time would be dramatically reduced.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
but if we spent what we spend to kidnapp suspected terrorists in Europe, we could surely build a small Bio-refinery.
I'm not quite familiar with the terrorist we have kidnapped............please enlighten us a little bit.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Senior Board Member

sure, my friend, here are some articles i found just by searching the internet... im not terribly happy with these, but from the amount of reports we can be pretty certain that such things go on....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4641810.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4641810.stm
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jh...oryID=12017793
audio:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4563352
Old 05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
sure, my friend, here are some articles i found just by searching the internet... im not terribly happy with these, but from the amount of reports we can be pretty certain that such things go on....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4641810.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4641810.stm
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jh...oryID=12017793
audio:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4563352
Why am I not surprised, every one of your links are to sites that specialize in anti-Americanism and demonizing America, and Israel I might add, every opportunity they get. Moreover, the reports noted that they were preliminary. In other words, it was pure leftist propaganda meant only to supplant the allegations in your mind. A very effective leftist propaganda technique used to expolit the ignorance's and emotions of the masses. In leftist propaganda, the allegations are far more important than the truth. Therefore, the strategy is to bombard your opponent with spurious allegations. Send over a constant barrage, as we have seen both with respect to the war in Iraq and the President.

The NY Times, a very leftist and propagandistic anti-American newpaper in their own right, had to suck it up recently and run a story reporting that all those investigations in Europe conducted by the different EU commissions with respect to allegations of tortue by the American government at hidden locations all came up empty as I expected. Never mind the fact that just detaining terrorists is many times considered tortue in their delusional eyes. However, the problem with all you delusional leftists is the allegations become more important than the truth, and you would rather believe a leftist politically motivated CIA mole and traitor than you would your own government who is only trying to do its level best to protect you and ensure your safety.

My advice, lay off the sites that specialize in demonizing America and otherwise corrupting your mind and learn to think with your mind instead of your emotions. It will only help you to view the world much more sanely and productively in the long run and to learn that America isn't always the monster it's made out to be.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Toothpick, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about! BBC, Reuters and Npr are some of the most respected and objective news-agencies on the face of this planet! Leftist propaganda?? Anti-american? WTF r u talking about? read the article! what does the iraq war have to do with anything? and Bush? they are not the subject of those articles! :lol:
Old 05-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Surely the Washington Post is a 'leftist propaganda' page too in your eyes :lol:
http://www.truthout.org/cgi-bin/artm...ew.cgi/37/9593
Old 05-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

NPR?
Yeah right :roll:
Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr

NPR?
Yeah right :roll:
On this count, I must agree with Yoopr!!
I'm way too Liberal to be called a Conservative, and way too Conservative to be called a Liberal. Having said that I listen to both conservative talk radio stations, and liberal venues as well.

I listen to NPR.

Do they often present perspectives and ideas that are outside the mainstream??
Yes!!

Can you learn something by listening to NPR??
Yes!!

Does NPR have a balanced or objective format for reporting news??
NOT EVEN!!

I think that listening to both sides of an issue, and hearing argument from both sides of the political spectrum is wise and prudent. I also think that pretending that objectivity exists where it clearly does not is unwise and foolish!!

Just Another "Useless" Observation!!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have yet to talk to a journalist who thinks of himself as being biased when reporting a story. I have also yet to see one who isn't biased in their reporting. I am sure that some try to remain unbiased, but we all have our own view point and it is impossible to remain totally unbiased when relating a story. It is just human nature.

I like to hear both sides of an issue. Some are really out there, but it is certainly more interesting to hear views other than your own. I am conservative, but still enjoy listening to NPR and the BBC. If everyone agreed all the time, life would really be boring. :P