User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

good post, gman. yes, i do the pre-trip and check out everything. I do not idle the truck ( my idle is <1%) and slow to time lights so I don't come to a complete stop. We did not get a bonus this year and I'm working both Christmas Eve and Christmas day but thats the life of a truckdriver. We had Christmas dinner and presents Wed. At this point of the Dems Reign of Terror I am just glad to still have a job.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:58 AM
Board Icon

I'm sorry to hear that Mackman. Don't feel bad. My wife works for my eye doctor. My wife got a $300 Christmas bonus, and I work for the world's largest food distributor, and I didn't get diddly squat. :hellno:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Board Member

I didn't get anything. We do recognition awards and birthday celebrations and raffles monthly. I can't complain. I work with some great people.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Try bening me Mackman the Goverment can somehow pay for 30 MILLION more peoples healthcare but says COLA did not go up therefore for people like me forced onto SSDI I GOT JACKSQUAT.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
good post, gman. yes, i do the pre-trip and check out everything. I do not idle the truck ( my idle is <1%) and slow to time lights so I don't come to a complete stop. We did not get a bonus this year and I'm working both Christmas Eve and Christmas day but thats the life of a truckdriver. We had Christmas dinner and presents Wed. At this point of the Dems Reign of Terror I am just glad to still have a job.

That is great, jonp. It will take everyone pulling together to make it through this depression. I still think the worst is yet to come. We will have higher taxes in the coming years which will make it difficult for may to survive. Somehow these democrats can't seem to connect the dots between higher taxes, income and productivity. Higher taxes mean a lower standard of living. Anything that we can do to save money for our companies will only help provide greater job security for ourselves and make our companies more viable.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Board Member

My ex-boss wanted me to dead head 1200 miles to get a short load that paid 788 bucks!! He said he had to cover it, I told him it would be better to give the load away, I guess that contributed to the decision to fire me, He told me later that day not to worry about it, that it cancelled, but I found out later, he had a truck in the area that did it, he just didnt want to do it and he is a favorite because he runs 20 hours a day every day , this "great" driver is the reason the safe stat score is 93.8 and will be the reason the company is shut down when csa 2010 kicks in
Old 12-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some of these drivers and carriers who have been pushing the limits and running loose will need to change their ways or lose their livelihoods.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe View Post
For my Christmas bonus this year they said I could keep my job.
Amen to that man. Last year I relocated the family halfway across the country for a decent paying job in a town I can afford to live in after driving a truck almost cost me my house after the bottom fell out of the construction and manufacturing sectors. I didn't get bonus this year, and am hoping for 3-5% raise this spring (based solely on performance appraisals). Even if I do not get a great raise I will still be grateful for the job. And no, I do not drive any more.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Some of these drivers and carriers who have been pushing the limits and running loose will need to change their ways or lose their livelihoods.
Exactly right.

I've already noticed the usual "it's GOT to be there in the morning" attitude has somewhat diminished over the last 2 or 3 weeks...but my paycheck is also beginning to take a significant DROP.

Shippers and recievers are going to HAVE to get on board in this new game. They need to learn NOW that it's going to cost them money to have a companies equipment and driver sitting idle on their property.

And companies need to learn NOW that cheap frieght will not stay cheap freight if it's left on the dock until it's actually profitable to move it with any individual truck.

I predict that by June...CSA 2010 (and insurance dictators) is going to cause hundreds more small to medium-sized companies to close their doors and THOUSANDS of drivers to lose their CDL priveleges.

Not saying it won't be deserved by some...but a LOT of good drivers and a few decent companies won't be around this time next year.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I expect to see more carriers and drivers pushed out of the business with the new rules. Some of the worst abusers are the larger carriers. Just check out some of their safe stat scores. While sad for those affected, it may actually be good in some respects. By taking out some capacity it will help raise rates. Some carriers who have been hauling this cheap freight have been pushing hard to run as many miles as possible in an effort to hold back the repo man. It didn't work for Arrow and won't work for others. Sooner or later it will catch up with them.