User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Here

Hi Everyone,

New guy here (obviously). I retired from the Navy about 3 months ago and I have been working as an auto mechanic since and looking to switch jobs and become a driver. Just getting everything in line so I can go to school and still pay my bills.

I have been reading on here for a few weeks and decided to register and post. There is a ton of good information on here.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Rookie

Hi Everyone!
My name is Jim from Virginia. I'm 44 and have 23 years in the IT industry. My job is in danger of being out sourced, and I am working toward my earning my CDL. I've passed my written test and earned my CDL learners permit, and have my DOT physical schedule. I am trying to gain experience part-time with a friend who is an Owner/Operator. I'm trying this avenue first verses truck driving school. I realize, I have an incredible amount to learn. While I have about 10 years of experience driving fire trucks, and some straight trucks/moving trucks, I've never driven the big rigs. This site has been a tremendous resource for me.
I've decided to pursue this profession because it is one of the few industries that can't be totally outsourced. I've always had a passion for transportation, and I've been "on the road" in a small company van for almost the last 20 years. So I guess I see this move to trucking as a natural progession for me
Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Rookie

Hi, I just noticed this thread.

I am a 55 yr old divorcee with 25 years of driving professionally (if you consider busing professional) I have driven school bus, city bus and motor coach. I also have one year of straight truck waaaaaay back in the 70's.

With my daughter now old enough to make do with out me home all the time I decided to expand my possibilities and follow my dream. I will be leaving for training on the 14th. With Swift....... maybe not everybody's first choice, but one of only a few willing to take on an older lady.

I found this forum by accident while doing a Google search for potential training trucking companies. I have learned a lot already. Some of what I read had never occured to me (I am sure I would have learned it later on.......but forewarned is always best) Thanks for being here!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 AM

my name is mark I live in western massachuetts,this is my story I have worked for the same company for 19 years in recieving,warehouse,and yard jockey. in april I suffered congestive heart failure so I went on disabilty. had heart surgery in june to replace a valve,have suffered a number of complications since then
doc says I will make a full recovery in the months to come. but will have used up all my leave time by aug4 so I will more then likely loose my job. always wanted to drive truck ,so it looks like this is my oppertunity. I have couple off months before Im off disabilty,so Im learning everything I can about trucking. I want to go to a company sponsered school,do my 2 years otr and then o/o or a teamster job line haul maybe. well thats my plan now all I have to do is get healthy :roll:
Old 08-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Rookie

My name is Ed. I am looking to get my foot in the door as a truck driver.I nhave felony convictions on my record and i am having a hard time finding some one to give me a chance. My felony is almost 5 years old.Does anyone know where i can get a fresh start?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Default New too!

Howdy! I was just passin' through- but I find it to be pretty interesting around here, so I may try to stick around! I am a fairly new 'truckers wife'- very proud of him though! He went to "Swift Academy' a year ago- he's been OTR ever since; I only see him once a month! I have adjusted well though. We live on a farm in central MN- and it keeps me busy! We raise arabian horses, have 3 labs and too many barn cats! We just had our 8th annevs. on 8/1- too bad he wasn't here! (soon though!). We have been together for about 12 yrs- no kids. I never thought he even wanted to be a truck driver- turns out he really likes it (not too crazy about Swift planners though!). I was able to go-along w/him last fall, got a real taste for what all those truckers have to put up with!(Regular society should HAVE to ride in a big rig before they get their licenses!!So many people suck @ driving!-I learned a few things myself!) Anyway, I am just intrigued w/big rigs- would even like to learn how to drive one someday- for now I'll stick w/my pickups n' horseback riding! Peace-out!~Shyykatt! 8)
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Rookie

I'm gonna do it again! Go back to the open road that is. My name is John I ain't too bright maybe but I can't help it. I'm goin on 44 and all the kids are grown up and gone. I'm remarried to the koolest woman in the world. and she wants this for me. She said I just want to see you happy again! Seee! I told you she is kool! Any way I have lived almost every where east of the Mississippi you can think of, currently in WI. The trucking company I work for now doesn't want me to go out on the road they say I'm too "valuable" to them they won't let me go. so I gave them 30 days notice and have an accepted offer from Melton a flatbed company in OK. I've been tryin to get some dirt on them to make sure I'm making a reasonably good decision, but so far nothing. Wierd Huh? Pro's to them Pets are okay, liberal rider policy, B.C.B.S. insurance, good equipment, pay is soso. Con's, hometime is 1 day per week out.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Rookie

Been lurking .... done lurking.

I'm a 33 year old female flatbedder/step deck (not picky), never tried any of the other areas, seems to be my niche I guess.

Run coast to coast (except CA) and Canada. Work for a small company 4 trucks in all including the boss.

I actually live out of my truck, single no need to have a home and the expense. Got my self a brand new 06 KW W9 with studio (92"..got extra room remember my home) in the prettiest deep purple with metallic fleck all decked out in lights. Pays to show up at the bosses when he say .... "got something for you".
Old 08-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Rookie

Hello,

My name is Nate and I live in Connecticut. I have a lovely wife of four years and we have two cats.

I started out driving in earnest for Park Trucking out of East Hartford, primarily hauling from five or six shippers per day in NY/NJ back to Hartford to be split up so the LTL trucks could distribute them the next day; a lot of reefers. Has anyone seen a Park Truck on the road recently? I think they are out of business.

I also drove OTR for TRL and J.B. until I stopped driving about 3 years ago. At that time I bought the truck that I learned to drive on from the moving company that I used to work for before Park. It's a 1977 GMC Astro 95 cabover with a Cummins NTC 290, 9 speed tranny, single axle. It has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.3 million on it and runs strong and smokeless. I had wide-eyed dreams of puttering it around the area that never materialized, but I still intend to clean it up just the same.

Another driver suggested the handle "Toxic Bandit" when he saw me hauling a 5-placard load so it stuck.

Best,

Nathan
Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Board Regular

Hello all. My name is Jamie Carr. I live in Orange Park Florida. Born and raised in Miami Florida. I like to fish and drive. My CB handle is "Collard Greens" because I love to eat them. I will starting my first run under my own authority August 21st. Name of my Company is Giovanni Transport, LLC.

http://www.trukz.com