User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another Newbie

Greetings I am called Zak, and I am a current college student about to recieve my Bachelor's Degree in December from Texas State University, and I am currently feeling the field for things I might want to do. I have a great interest in doing something involving surface transportation either.

In some job site repositories I have a cover letter stating that I am a soon-to-be college graduate whose worst fear at this point in his life is a desk job. Also, I continue to talk about my dog and how he likes to eat and therefore demands that I have a job of some sort. I have had the itch to drive those big things for quite sometime, so I figured fresh out of college would be the best time to try it out. I am not adverse to hard work, but I like to be lazy when I can be.

In some job site repositories I have a cover letter stating that I am a soon-to-be college graduate whose worst fear at this point in his life is a desk job. Also, I continue to talk about my dog and how he likes to eat and therefore demands that I have a job of some sort.

Currently, I do not have a CDL of any sort and would therefore need to attend a training program before applying with your company. I live in San Marcos, TX about midway between Austin and San Antonio, both Austin Community College and St. Phillip's College offer truck driver training contracted through International Truck Driving Schools and SAGE, respectively. I would rather do this and have more selection of companies rather than be obligated to someone for a year or more because they graced me with paying for my initial training

I'm interested in doing flatbeds becuase I do like diversity in my work, but I'm not adamantly adverse to pulling them van things if I had to.

But anyway, that's me, in a walnut shell and I bid you all a fond adieu.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Rookie

Hi! My name is John. My wife Susie and I live in the central PA area, and have been here since I retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer in 1994. I have a Bachelor's degree in Music Education, and was a member of the U.S. Naval Academy Band for the last 17 years of my career.

I had thought about getting my CDL and going trucking full-time when I retired, but I developed a malignant tumor in my right knee and had to have it removed in 1995. Unfortunately, the rest of my knee came out with the tumor, and I had to have a total prosthesis installed. Over the following years I've had a total of 5 knee surgeries to keep everything working. So, my trucking is limited to pulling my 5th wheel travel trailer with a 1990 Pete COE.

I was lucky enough to get my training and driving experience prior to the Navy, and I did drive the instrument truck (24ft. straight truck) throughout my Navy career.

I have 2 sons and 5 absolutely beautiful grandchildren ranging in age from 1 to 12 years. My wife works for Kinder Kare, a national chain of day care centers, as a care provider and teacher. She's planning to retire in 2 to 3 years and then we can hit the road to explore this wonderful country of ours!

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Rookie

Hey there guys

My name's Trish I'm 21 and from Chicago,, I start my CDL class on the 24th of this month.. And am excited and nervous at the time.. It'll be a great change from the hell hole I call a job now.. That's for sure..

I don't have anything tying me down from bein an OTR Trucker.. No kids anyway.. My boyfriend is getting more supportive as time goes on so that's nice :lol:

In my spare time I like to work on my car.. It's a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT.. It's my baby.. I'll be so happy to park her while I'm driving a rig.. I bought her last May (2005) with about 18k on the odo.. And Now she's hittin 41k :lol: I REALLY like to drive :lol: :lol:

See ya's around

Trish
Old 07-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Rookie
Default Hi

My name is Kim i live in Roxboro NC I am a 911 operator and found this site trying to get help from trucks to transport rescued dogs cross country on there trips. I am having fun looking around and no I could not be a trucker I love the job I have. If any of you drove through Orange county and called 911 I may have talked to you
Old 07-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Board Icon

Welcome to the site Kim. Man,I bet you get some interesting phone calls. I miss hearing my scanner. Our police,and fire dept got a new radio system. My scanner has the bands that would have been able to pick them up,but they have scramblers. :? I can still hear the area towns,but not a whole lot of action. :lol: Again,welcome to the site. If you want to change your career,this is the right place for all the info you need. 8) :lol:

Speaking of rescue dogs,here is mine :P

Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 AM
Board Regular
Default Hi

FEMALE FROM MIDWEST
Old 07-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Rookie
Default new guy

My name is warren B and I drove a bread truck for 16 years... Decided to try the OTR thing. i was already working 90 hours a week and not being paid for it why not see some country and not be paid?LOL. I am trying to get on at Schneider,Maverick,or Stevens...any suggestions would be appreciated I know I dont know everything as a newbee so help is definatelt needed... They call me Twinkieman
Old 07-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Hi,
I used to belong as ConsiderThis, but my computer died, then I couldn't get my address book and Favorites (to include this site) into my new computer. Etc. for several months. Always a new problem.

Finally, I got back here tonight, and I couldn't sign in because I have DSL now. Wow, nice and fast.

So, I registered as a new member. I hope that's okay.

Karen Kline
Old 07-22-2006, 07:56 PM

I am sevlow, from MI. I'm not a driver but my hubby is. I ride with him and do all the odds and ends stuff. Like directions, route planning, trip planning. We LOVE OTR, right now he his currently waiting to get a trainer with swift because he has been out of the game for 2 months now. We will know more on Monday hopefully after we clear up a medical issue from a preivous job he did not accept. We drove with JB Hunt for almost 4 months and ended up losing everything we had because his dispatcher didn't give him no miles. But kept saying we couldn't pin our misfortune on him. So we are attempting to try one more company and I hope Swift is it!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Rookie

Hello my name is Cheryl and I have been viewing the CAD sight for a couple of weeks now, I am very impressed with it as a whole. I start class the 29th and am very excited. I will be going to NTTS in Syracuse and would like to know if anyone has gone through the classes and what they thought of it. I have always been interested in driving truck but have never had the opportunity. Have been a single mom to 2 wonderful daughters for the past 18 years...Now I get to do what I want. I am every hopeful I will do well and will be sure to check out the forum for any type of help...Thanks