User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hi

I drove over the road for ten years, and recently quit the business to get married, get another Master's degree and start a new career. Trucking was pretty cool though, I've never had a job that I loved or hated more.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Rookie
Default Intro...

My name is Kelly. I am 27, married w/ kiddos (2boys + 1girl). We live in Savannah, GA and I am originally from Jax, FL.
Hubby is currently running local, but that is looking to change in the near future.
Anything else that peaks your curiosity feel free to ask. I am not the most creative person in my postings, so I am sure I forgot something.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:29 AM
Default Greetings and Salutations...

I haven't floated gears in almost 2 years now, and am one of those drivers who have since left the profession and moved on to other occupational venues. I now occupy one of the ubiquitous "4-wheelers" (alas, however, one of the 4-wheelers that uses turn signals to change lanes and doesn't cut off at the last minute in front of a big truck to exit) that the rest of you might pass everyday.

And yet, I haven't forgotten where I come from... after traversing enough miles in a big truck to ... as I so often tell my son (whose birth was the reason I left the profession behind)... go to the moon and back and blowing diesel smoke over 45 of the lower 48... I still feel a kinship of sorts with all the rest of you still out there ....like I once so often was... tired, sometimes lonely, and doing the best you can to get home safe again.... out there still traversing the lifelines of a nation.

Yet, as I have repeated more than a time or two in the years since I last bumped a dock, "You can take the man out of the truck, but you never take the trucker out of the man," I always remember the once-eternal constant of the road and "The Life of Continual Mobility" that once soothed my soul and put food on the table.

I, too, once knew the lonely vigil of the night.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Default New member

My name is Lee my handle is Mifirewoodguy, I'm a novice trucker, Im a full time Firefighter/Paramedic (18 yrs)and part time trucker for our family owned business. I haul bundled slab wood from the mill to our lot for processing. Its only an 180 mile round trip but I do it on average about 4-5 time a week. Been married to my Highschool sweetheart for 23 yrs, we have to boys, Chris 22 yrs old and Kyle 18 yrs old. We own and operate Michigan Firewood Inc. We sell packaged firewood whole sale in the 21 county EAB quarentine zone of Michigan. Our loads vary but are usually around 54-60,000 lbs.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Rookie

My daughter "trckndadsangel" turned me on to this site. So it's her fault that you now have "yeoldgrump" in the neighborhood. Every neighborhood has an old grump and I plan to do my best uphold that job.
I only do it to take the pressure off of others so they don't have to be the grump.
I've been driving truck for about 19 years now. Prior to that I was a professional musician and band leader. My brother gave me my first truck drivin' job. It was pulling manufactured housing. Now I pull mostly dry freight.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

My name is James. I was a full time Firefighter/Paramedic but decided to go back out on the road. I am now a Volunteer Firefighter and getting ready to go to JB Hunt. I have been driving off and on since 1997. I am married and have a 7 year old son and 1 cat. I LOVE to hunt and fish. I am also involved in Martial arts and hold 2 seperate black belts. One in USTF Tae Kwon DO and one in Kempo Karate. I spent 6 yrs in the Marine Corps till I got out in 1997.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Rookie

Hey all! I'm not looking for a career in truck driving, as I have my own business fixing cars, and building automatic transmissions for drag racing use.

I signed up because I am looking to purchase a used tractor for my drag racing program, and possibly a small side business of transporting vehicles. Being new to these types of trucks, I'm going to need all the help/advice I can get!

Chris
Old 05-26-2006, 02:47 PM

Hi all,

I've already posted a few times before hitting this post. But here I go anyway.

My name is Chip, if you haven't already noticed.

I just finished with Driver Solutions (C1) in Ft. Wayne, IN. Most of you call it a CDL mill and I agree that we are pushed through. But at the same time, they are quick to get rid of anyone for anything. They were very strict about their rules and policies. My class time was very thorough. I didn't get a lot of sleep during my first week. During my second week I drove on the road at least 2 hours a day along with all my range time. I feel I got good training and it was constantly stressed to me that all I'm learning is the very basics to help me pass my state skills test. All the instructors constantly telling us not to go out and act like billy bad trucker because we haven't learned crap yet. And to make sure we pay very close attention to our OTR trainer because he/she was going to be our true instructor....

They also don't pass just anyone to open a new spot to fill. At least not the facility I was at. I was done after 2 weeks and 2 days, but I seen other that were on their 4th and 5th week. A couple of them still trying to pass the C1 test that had to be passed before being allowed to the take the state skills test. C1's test was harder than the state test. Their road test was a 2 hour drive test, not just down the street and back like the state test.

CDL Mill, yes..... But turning out anyone to make a buck? I didn't see it...

Anyway, I'm "supposed" to be going to work for P.A.M. Transport. I"ve been home for over a week now and have yet to see my trainer. I've even gone back to the cab company I was working for so that I have an income again. And I check in with P.A.M. every day.

I'm waiting to get on the road so that I can get my OTR training done and get back to my family for a couple days. I know that I'll be gone for 4-6 weeks without seeing them and I just want to get it over with.

I'm so anxious now it's crazy. I've wanted to drive truck since I was a kid. But with my partying ways in my 20's, I lost my license for many years (no DUI's or drugs). I've had it back now for 8 years and it's clean as a whistle. With my wife's job being very secure and making good money I knew it was time to finally fulfill one of my life's dreams. Without having to worry about how my kids are going to eat while I wait for milage pay to kick in.

And I realize that driving OTR isn't the glamorous life style that some people think it will be. I've already been researching my next company to improve my home time. I will fulfill my obligation with P.A.M. provided they don't try to f**k me in the arse. I've talked to a few of their drivers to find out about the company and be prepared for what to expect. I've always been a firm believer of research.

Anyway, that's my life story. Hope you enjoyed it and maybe one day I'll do a book signing LOL...

Quick plugs - I own and operate my own web hosting business and audio/video streaming business ( www.getpro.net / www.getprostreaming.net ), I run my own Internet radio station ( www.txrn.net ), and have started and amateur radio site for truckers ( www.amateur-online.net ).

Sorry for the long post,
Chip
Old 06-07-2006, 05:47 AM
Rookie

hello, classa and big mama CAD! I saw the posting Lil'CAD made and it seems like youv'e got a real nice family and have been able to make yourselves a neat life. Good for you.! With that said, I'll accept your invitation to introduce myself. My name is Larry and I am 60 this July. After the Navy, I got married too young and without knowing and talking about what we expected from life. We had two kids (now 36 and 38 years) and we all get along fine now, but not then. After my second wife passed on, I remained a widower for six years. My third wife and I hope to eventually retire and enjoy life together. I worked for a major airline for 24 and a half years that borrowed about a billion dollars from the employee pension fund then went out of business in '91. I got some retraining and worked in manufacturing quality control for 8 years. When that dried up, I got more retraining. I wanted to find something I could do as I got older, because the pension is pretty much GONE. I started CDL school summer '01 and was licensced by October. Went OTR with company trainers about mid November, and was assigned my own tractor by Feb. Stayed OTR for about ten months and was able to talk myself into the local fleet. With only a little experience, I was able to find work as an instructor at a CDL school in the town I now live in one year ago. But now it has gotten very slow. Not enough students to keep 7 or 8 instructors working full time. So I am thinking of driving again. Local if possible. I like the teaching (and the hours) but must pay the bills too. And the pay at the school isn't as good as working drivers get. I just wonder if I haven't spent too much time away from long haul to be considered as having recent experience? Anybody with any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Rookie

alrighty then I've been lurking and learning as much as I can about getting into trucking for long enough.
I'm almost 46 and have driven a desk for the last 24+ years doing
circuit board design for aerospace companies.
I've wanted to drive truck since i took a trip otr back in 71 in a old cabover international LOL.
I should be starting classes in July or Aug and planning on starting driving
Jan of 07.
that should give me enough time to put away a little nest egg before
I start driving full time.
don't want to worry about where the next bag of rice is coming from when I'm trying to learn a new trade.
My wife should be joining me in a few years after our last kid is out of HS.
cheers