Old 12-31-2006, 05:58 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Steve, if you are writing a book, I've got a good title;-

"Trucking for Gentlemen"

No charge! :P
lol, no books for me although a good title, I use to be a Gentlemen Host on cruise ships at one time.

I forgot to mention yesterday. It's a good thing I stopped back at the Pilot to spend the night instead of making a little progress. Every highway out of here was shut down either because of high winds or accidents. I've never seen so many trucks laying on there sides and car accidents.

This is the highest load I've ever carried also, 13'6" but I'm all set. All the states I'll be going through are at least 14'. I'm sure I'll still duck a few times until I get use to it.

I may stop in Vegas tonight if the weather is good, have something to eat and walk around a bit.

The checks have started to roll in and I'm in the black now with a few thousand in the account.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
Damnit Steve! This is business, NOT pleasure! :wink:
Sorry there Fly, I'll try and be like the other professionals in here. Lets see, were did I put those doom and gloom pills.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 PM

The board has been down for a while. Well, I loaded up and stopped at Vegas for New Years. I only dove about 200 miles. I was on the road to Vegas about 2am and it was just jam packed with car loads of teenagers also headed for Vegas. I guess it's the thing to do or something. When I crossed over into Nevada the weigh station was more than fully staffed and no PrePass this time. They were pulling everyone in. The guy talked to me for a bit, probably to see if I was drinking. He then did a walk around and checked all my chains, straps and air lines. He then let me go. The pull off area for people that didn't pass was stacked to the max with trucks parked on the side and everywhere.

I parked at the new Petro on the outskirts of town and took a shower, did laundry, washed my windows, checked the oil and did a real good inspection. After that I grabbed a cab into town, walked around, had dinner then headed back around 8pm. The place was insane and not a fun place to walk around, just too many people.

I got up early again and headed off and made it to Salina and decided to stop there for the night, another easy day since I'm ahead of schedule. I stopped at a small place with a Denny's right there and a Mexican restaurant and had some great hot food and went to bed early.

I started out early again this morning and it was freezing cold. I had only driven about 50 miles and realized I didn't fill in my log book so I stopped at the next rest stop. It was full so I did a U-turn in the parking lot and was going to park on the side for a minute and all of a sudden the warning sound came on for the brakes and then the trailer valve kicked on and to a stop a came....FAST!

I got out and could see the red emergency line was leaking and didn't have a hole but looked like it just blew up. I called out on the CB to see if anyone was awake that may have a spare hose I could buy but everyone was asleep. So, I unhook the trailer which was real hard cranking when you have a 20,000 right over the 5th wheel. So off I go back to Salina because there is nothing for over 100 miles in the other direction. I get there and the little shop has nothing. Drive another 20 miles to a small Flying-J and buy 2 hoses and drive back.

I get out my tool and start to put a wrench on the nut and the air hose is so stiff it keeps turning the nut back when I take the wrench off. No big deal, I'll just get my big wire cutters and cut the hose. When I do it just shatters. I grab the hose in different places and crush it with my hands and it falls to pieces!!!! Now that country song is going through my head...."I fall to pieces...na na na". When I did that inspection the other day the hose was perfect. I think now, I'll check to make sure it is somewhat pliable also instead of rock hard like it was.

I get the hose fixed and I'm on my way through the mountain passes. I'm up over 8,000 feet then start down and I notice there isn't a sign telling me about a steep grade. I can see another truck coming up the mountain at least 1,000 feet below me. I start going down and realize I'm pushing on the pedal to keep my speed up. I put the cruise on for 55 and the computer says I'm getting 3.2MPG. There is a MAJOR wind tunnel coming up the mountain. WOW!!!!

I keep going then I see the signs for 6% for the next 6 miles and they weren't kidding. I was in 7th with the Jake's on full and still stabbing the brakes the whole way. No big deal but you need to stay on top of it for sure.

Stopped for my nap a while ago and it's daylight now and in an awesome rest stop somewhere in either Utah or Colorado, not sure but there's moo cows or something all around me.

On to Aspen!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

At least it happened before you hit the long steep grades. Today, most hoses are made of plastic. After a while they tend to become brittle and can break. I wish they still made them out of rubber. They seem to stay pliable longer and are easier to repair. I used to keep fittings in the truck so that I could make a repair if the hose started leaking. I think you enjoy running the left coast.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think you enjoy running the left coast.

I actually bought 4 new hoses. I'm going to replace the other one also and 2 spares just in case. I bought 4 new glad hand connectors too, may as well do the whole 9 yards.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is a good idea to keep a few spares of some things. You can't always rely on something going out at a convenient time. :wink: By the way, Steve, did the Nevada DOT check your tire chains or securement chains?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Steve, keep it up man! I love reading about your adventures. I'm envious as are alot of folks, but you had the sense to make your money first then plunge in and just have fun. And despite the Rev's crab-like demeanor, he is right about something: keep your straps on the inside of the rub-rail. A good read through the current FMSCR book would do you good. BOL! 8)
Old 01-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Yup I have a longass spare hose. Right now I can use it to fill up any tire, it has the right fittings. If I need it, it will be used for a trailer line.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It is a good idea to keep a few spares of some things. You can't always rely on something going out at a convenient time. :wink: By the way, Steve, did the Nevada DOT check your tire chains or securement chains?
He check my securement chains. Grabbed every chain and strap, walked around the whole truck looking at everything. He seemed OK and didn't have an attitude.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
Steve, keep it up man! I love reading about your adventures. I'm envious as are alot of folks, but you had the sense to make your money first then plunge in and just have fun. And despite the Rev's crab-like demeanor, he is right about something: keep your straps on the inside of the rub-rail. A good read through the current FMSCR book would do you good. BOL! 8)
Thanks. Yes, I do have the FMSCR book, I read it at night to put me to sleep. Kidding. I know about the rub rails and I did it again on this load by mistake. I'm all done chaining and strapping then I step back and say, OH CRAP. At least I got one side under the rail. The DOT guy didn't say anything about it but I'll try and do it right the next time!
Closed Thread