Old 12-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I think most of you talk BS about what your getting ....
whatever. :roll:

Last 10 loads averaged about 2.25 US/mile I guess (incl FSC, that's everything). I actually think this is a bit low and I'm going to batten down the hatches and try to average 2.30 - 2.40 in the new year.

6 of those loads came from one broker that kinda screwed up the first load we did for them but we followed through so we made a deal.....I settle for only $150 detention but you give us the next 5 loads. They agreed so there's 6 loads at $2.10 right there. Originally the load paid $2.01/mile but they changed the drop off point (closer) and honoured the same rate for a shorter distance so it came to $2.10/mile. Nice folks to deal and they are on my +++ list. They pay fast too.

Another one was being offered at $1.82/mile and they eventually paid $2.42 after they sat on it for a week (10' wide).

These are all SD loads going in to Canada. Maybe that's the difference I don't know.

Have a P/U next week that pays $2.50 a mile. Does require a DD though. Load was originally offered at $1.85/mile. They counter offered my $2.50 (bless their hearts for trying) but I explained how I couldn't do it for any less. They saw my point and agreed to the $2.50. It took only 3 hours to come to an agreement.

Hope this BS helps.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

SD loads? wassat?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

SD=Step Deck.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Before it's asked; DD = double drop flatbed.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
I think most of you talk BS about what your getting ....
whatever. :roll:

Last 10 loads averaged about 2.25 US/mile I guess (incl FSC, that's everything). I actually think this is a bit low and I'm going to batten down the hatches and try to average 2.30 - 2.40 in the new year.

6 of those loads came from one broker that kinda screwed up the first load we did for them but we followed through so we made a deal.....I settle for only $150 detention but you give us the next 5 loads. They agreed so there's 6 loads at $2.10 right there. Originally the load paid $2.01/mile but they changed the drop off point (closer) and honoured the same rate for a shorter distance so it came to $2.10/mile. Nice folks to deal and they are on my +++ list. They pay fast too.

Another one was being offered at $1.82/mile and they eventually paid $2.42 after they sat on it for a week (10' wide).

These are all SD loads going in to Canada. Maybe that's the difference I don't know.

Have a P/U next week that pays $2.50 a mile. Does require a DD though. Load was originally offered at $1.85/mile. They counter offered my $2.50 (bless their hearts for trying) but I explained how I couldn't do it for any less. They saw my point and agreed to the $2.50. It took only 3 hours to come to an agreement.

Hope this BS helps.
Are those Canadian Dollars?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The loads that I've been doing are at least 2,200 miles at an average of $1.80 now. I did do some loads at $3.00 that were under 500 miles but those still took 2 days and not enough time to get to the next one and load until the 3rd day. Some of these loads take up to 4 hours to load up. Myself, I would rather do the long hauls for under $2.00 per mile and take it easy.

I have a feeling I'm going to be in the same boat as last time. I'll end up in Colorado then off to Texas again. I'm trying to stay out for 3 weeks so that gives me another 2 weeks to get home. I would like to head to Florida and feel some heat. California is nice during the day where I am but windy as Hell and night gets pretty cold.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Board Regular

Hey Steve, don't forget about all of the post about how it is very hard to get a back haul out of Florida. You get a decent rate going in to Florida, but terrible rate coming out.

Keep posting Steve, it really is interesting to see how your doing. I am glad that you are making it and enjoying it. If a person can do what they enjoy and get paid for it, there is nothing like it.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM

I'm sitting outside the gates at my next pickup in Irwindale, CA. Talk about traffic but not bad at all with the streets. They are all pretty wide and easy to negotiate. One month ago I would have looked at the map and shit a brick at all the streets, buildings and freeways. I was still quit nervous coming here not knowing what to expect. I punched in the address to my GPS and went off driving. It told me to take the next exit but a sign said NO TRUCKS! Oh crap, I'll let the GPS recalculate for the next exit, wrong again....NO TRUCKS. This went on for a while until I was like 10 miles down the road and finally found an exit that was OK for me to pull off and bring up Microsoft Streets. I got directions from that and realized it's route was 10 times better and easier than what my GPS was going to take. So, I guess from now on I'll check the maps about my destination before I head out. Don't get me wrong, GPS is the greatest thing since sliced bread especially when your on Rt xxx then all of a sudden the signs say your on Rt yyy but it's really still xxx. Sort of like Rt 128/95 near Boston. One second your going south and the next your going north. One second it's 128 then next it's 95. Go up Rt 3 to New Hampshire and all of a sudden Rt 3 is a back road if you follow the signs. The GPS will keep you on Daniel Webster Highway instead which really is the new Rt3. GEEZ OH MAN!!!!

The place I'm at is a dead end street with a gate at the end. There were houses on the street coming down and the road is pretty bad from all the trucks I'm guessing. Not sure what's behind the gates so I brought up Google Maps and typed in the address and then asked for a satellite view. I was able to zoom in all the way and it looks like a HUGE terminal with hundreds and hundreds of trucks. I can see the elevated highway about 3/4 of a mile away and from the satellite image this place goes from this fence to there and all trucks.

There are a few loads going from CO to FL and I'll see about getting one of those if I can instead of heading to Texas again. The loads I see coming out of FL are paying around $1.10 that I've seen so far and they are short runs enough to get you out of FL and into a better lane. I know a lot of you would say you would rather dead head out than accept $1.10 for 300 miles to get you out. Sounds stupid. If your going to dead head out why not at least get your truck paid for instead of it coming out of your own pocket. SHOOT ME, I'm the sole cause of cheap freight!!! lol

So, I don't have to be at my destination until Wed and it's only 880 miles. Not sure what I'll do yet but I'll probably head straight there in case the weather turns bad, at least I'll be close. Looks like there is a small truck stop about 20 miles from Aspen in Glenwood Springs. Since it's small I think it would be better that I show up early in case it's full I can wait then park myself until Wed. I'll take a cab or shuttle into Aspen and futz around. I can tell you one thing, it's going to be nap city all the way there!!!!! Turn on some golf and it's good night Irene!
Old 12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

There are a few loads going from CO to FL and I'll see about getting one of those if I can instead of heading to Texas again. The loads I see coming out of FL are paying around $1.10 that I've seen so far and they are short runs enough to get you out of FL and into a better lane. I know a lot of you would say you would rather dead head out than accept $1.10 for 300 miles to get you out. Sounds stupid. If your going to dead head out why not at least get your truck paid for instead of it coming out of your own pocket. SHOOT ME, I'm the sole cause of cheap freight!!! lol
There are some who look at cheap loads much the same as you are. As long as people continue to haul them, the rates won't go up. Personally, I won't haul anything for less than my costs plus a fair profit. You tie your truck up for a day or two on a load which will not make any money. You waste time loading and unloading and spend additional money on fuel for a load that makes no money, when you could have deadheaded out and gotten a load that does pay something. It doesn't make sense to put something on the truck where I will only pay for my fuel. If you like the cheap loads coming out of Florida, check out anything in Plant City. Most will run from $0.90-1.20/mile. The majority of them are usually on the lower end of that scale. They are heavy and many of them go as far as Texas and New Jersey. They have plenty of them because most people won't haul them for those rates. Everyone must do what they feel is best for them and their business. I just get a high enough rate going in to Florida where I can afford to deadhead out to a better area and still make a fair profit. If the shipper or broker doesn't want to pay what I need, then I don't take their load.
Closed Thread