User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I'm past Roanoke off exit 101 at a Shell. Nice place and very clean showers and they didn't charge me. I told the lady there was something wrong with the shower handle. She was surprised and asked what?!?!?!?! I said, you turn it to the left and real hot water came out. Took her a minute to realize what I said and cracked up.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM

Just crossed over into Tennessee, there was a big huge statue of a man in a blue mask holding a welcome sign!!!

Past a cool Christmas display in someones back yard. It was Christmas lights laid out to look like 2 semi trucks. The wheels were blinking so it looked like they were moving.

I've been driving for a few hours with the cruise control on then a lot of us got bunched up and someone hit there brakes. When I put mine on I had to really push harder than normal. It's been raining pretty good since I left the truckstop. Do you guys hit your brakes every so often or do you just have to be aware of the fact that they don't respond good in the rain?

Oh yea, once again....Thank God for Mr. Coffee and an inverter!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
good trucking atlas will show Truck stops and a bit of info on them but not as good as the directory
What trucking atlas shows info on truck stops? Rand McNally sure as heck doesn't, and that is the standard.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 PM

Absolutely excellent post Steve. Glad to see you are doing well and wish you the best of luck. I hope you keep updating this thread with your experiences and pictures.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I did like the mom & pop place at Raphine

You talking about Whites?
that place is pretty awesome with all the antique Motorcycles and weapons.
Monster Crocodile in the Restaurant.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I've been driving for a few hours with the cruise control on then a lot of us got bunched up and someone hit there brakes. When I put mine on I had to really push harder than normal. It's been raining pretty good since I left the truckstop. Do you guys hit your brakes every so often or do you just have to be aware of the fact that they don't respond good in the rain?
Your drums glazed up a bit, rust. Yes you need to be aware of this, because the first stab they wont work too well, so you'll overreact and hit them harder. Then they'll come on full force.

It's much worse in winter when you have a steady side wind with snow. Snow gets in the drums, maybe even turns to ice. Not very fun!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM

I stopped shortly after that and looked at all the drums and they were all rust colored. Before I got back on the highways I laid on the brakes for a bit and they seemed to be better. I was afraid to apply the brakes too much thinking the trailer would lock up so I kept a big distance from the cars in front of me. The rain stopped and I'm parked now for the night. I just looked and all the drums are nice and shinny and the brakes work good. I think I've come to the conclusion that during rain I shouldn't use the jake so much and instead keep on the brakes to keep them working better.

Tennessee has been pretty nice on 81 and 40. The weather is getting warmer and I'm in a T-Shirt. I only made it 400 miles today and I've had it. The traffic has been heavy but moving but requires you to really pay attention and that has taken it's toll on me.

Rubber straps need to be checked all the time that hold down the tarp. Going from one climate to another they change there size and get loose.

I need to stop more often instead of eating something for breakfast then waiting 13 hours later to eat again. I feel sick every night when I stop from being to hungry.

I got to knock on wood with regards to my truck, trailer and tires. Everything is working well and no problems. I know of 2 people on here who had many things go wrong for weeks at a time. I think it's just a luck of the draw and not much you can do about it and just have to hope for the best.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Been out of town working, boy has this thread heated up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
I don't know, look at it this way......Steve, in his first three weeks has started to put HIS name and reputation for good business (hopefully)out there and making contacts. Also made about 1250.00 per week. Multiply that by 45 weeks....about 56M ( 8) that's for G). For a first year business that's not bad. This is all assuming he doesn't get any better than his first three weeks.
That is also assuming that it doesn't get any worse.
What does a company driver have after a year? His paycheck which would be less than 56 thousand. Provided he did his job the best he could he still only makes his company look good.[/quote]

He still has to pay taxes on that money, as nothing has been paid, unlike a company driver. :wink:[/quote]

Rev, everybody pays taxes. If you are in control of your own future and can make your own decisions than 56k isn't bad for a start up business IMO. What ya think?

Oh yeah one more thing, in response to this...
Quote:
That is also assuming that it doesn't get any worse.
I say....What could possibly go wrong? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-23-2006, 05:01 AM
Board Regular

I was going to compare Steve's post to the book/movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but it was a bit of a stretch. However, if you remove all the drugs and alcohol it's spot on! :lol:
Old 12-23-2006, 05:36 AM

I looked up that movie but I've never seen it, looks scary.

I'm in a good size Pilot in Tennessee with a decent store and it's funny to watch all the truckers. I honestly think they are buying gifts but I must say the store did good. There's a lot of stuff that I don't normally see and I can tell they have stocked up on good stuff to buy as presents or at least this store. I want one of those big 4x4 radio controlled SUV's.

Went to bed early after a hectic 400 mile day in heavy traffic. It's 1am and I'll probably watch the news, drink coffee and hit the road around 2:30 or so. Drive until maybe 7 and take a snooze. No lot lizards tonight, I guess they made enough to do there shopping. I realize I have no idea what day it is anymore. When I initially started out I figured 400 miles per day and if I do at least that I don't have to think so what day it is means nothing.

It was pouring rain yesterday so I figured it was a good time to take a break. I checked the truck and trailer and all that rain finally got all that red sand from New Mexico off the frame. It was a really nice rest area and felt good to take a snooze listening to the rain beating down on the cab. Had the same effect as watching golf on me Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I was finally able to pull into a pump yesterday for the first time in one shot. Most fuel pumps are at a 90 degree angle when you come down the driveway. I finally figured out that you need to drive by the pump you want, cut hard to the left, go past it, cut hard to the right then back into it. This is stuff they should teach in school and also how to pull into a parking spot with a trailer on either side. I guess these are things that would have been taught to me with a trainer. The other experiences I think come with just having to do it like the snow, ice, mountains, heavy rain, traffic, blocking lanes and everything else. I figure you can be with a trainer and go your whole 3 weeks or whatever and never experience any of that and that makes you qualified???? No, you learn on the job, learn from your experiences. Sure, they can tell you a bunch of stuff from books and school but once you actually live it, you don't forget it. Like the wet brakes, that's imprinted on my brain forever!

Did I mention, thank God for Mr. Coffee???? ha...Electric razor commercials are BS. I've been taking a shower every other day and using one of those razors that claim to be as close as a real razor. That's crapolo. I could work in an auto body shop right after shaving and they could use my face to wet sand a Pinto.
Closed Thread