User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Go to each of the truck stop's home pages on the internet. Most of them have a text file you can download that can be imported into the programs.

Also, do a google search for 'poi'. I've seen them for rest areas & weigh stations.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Want to chime in my 0.02 cents on a couple of the GPS programs out there.

I current own Microsoft S&T 2007 w/gps and the Delorme Street Atlas USA 2007 w/gps.

I tested each program on various routes in my area ranging from a few miles to about 45 miles that I am very familiar with to check the accuracy of each program. Here are the results:

Delorme
tested 5 different routes and 4 of the 5 were off anywhere from about 50 yards to almost 10 miles!! The subdivision I live in was not even listed. Construction in this neighborhood was started about 4 years ago and just finished up this year. It seems as if the program is way outdated.
I give it a big thumbs DOWN!!

MS S&T
tested it on the exact same 5 routes and ALL 5 routes were right on the money. This program seems to be up to date and very accurate. not only did it recognize my neighborhood, but on the "Virtual Earth" function (satellite imagery) it not only showed my home, but the construction of the new subdivision next to mine.
I give this program a MAJOR thumbs UP!!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Rookie
Default high tech

Ok just going to ad my 2 cents here over the last yr I had the opportunity to buy/ waste near 1000$ in gps software trying to get the best one Delorme on a laptop was pretty good but now my current setup seems best.
cingular phone model HP6515 pda/ camara/cell phone/ gps reciever built in very cool a 1Gb mini sd card with co-pilot truck edition 6 works pretty well. As this sits on the dash where I can see it without looking over in the seat at the old laptop I keep eyes on the road. I dont like the fact that low clearance is not part of it that would seem to be a major issue to have that info, better would be to get updates via email for those issues.
also when getting a call co-pilot runs in the background while your on the phone bluetooth also works great and for those with laptops yes the teather option works ok to get internet on the laptop but not in 3G sorry to say.
Also I did try the palm treo, blackberry 8700,7130,cingular 8125 i will be testing the the new blackjack in about 2 weeks If you want to know I will keep you updated buy the way you have to call cingular and ask for the ohone they have not updated their site for the HP6525 yet so its special order no biggie still 400$ thats the downside but one device does it all and then some and yes the speaker is load enough even for a century.

xracer
Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Rookie

I sent DeLorme an email, requesting information on software updates for the trucking industry, and the person I spoke too, told me that it is something they are working on, but there is no ETA, when it will be ready.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Devil, try this link for starters ...
http://www.ultimateroute.com/

do search using "gps truck stop" or combo of such...

Good driving.........

K2 -- 10-4
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Co-Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Fe
fox]one thing you might consider is getting a small touchscreen for your dash, I picked up a 7" LCD touch screen stuck it to the dash so its basically like looking at a Gauge, the laptop sits on the shelf in the sleeper and have USB and video extensions running forward to the screen.
An extraordinary idea imho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Fe
fox]oh check out MP3car.com for those touch screens, they also have some neat car computers that would work good in a truck.

IronFox
Good site - had fun checking out their stuff.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Senior Board Member

I've got a 7" touchscreen in my truck now. I mounted it to the sun visor, so it's not blocking my field of vision, but is still easy to see. I also bought a usb keyboard with a touchpad (similar to a laptop's) and mounted my laptop on a shelf in the sleeper.

So far, those changes there was the best thing I've done.

You can see my setup here: http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=21808
Old 12-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Board Regular

GPS doesn't make a trip plan. You still need to sit down and do your homework of directions and map reading. The routing that comes out is totally dependent on what you put in. I have been using Streets and Trips for 10 months and with a GPS for the last month. Works good as long as you watch how the computer routes. There are times that it tells me to exit when I don't need to but if I have studied my route carefully I can tell when it has a hickup in the routing. Always have my dry erase board on the dash with the written routing and directions into my pickups and delieveries in case the computer quits. My atlas is always close with the route also marked with a dry eraser dotted line for quick over view.

Soladad
Old 12-24-2006, 02:20 AM
Rookie

Soladad has good points, but I have S&T 2007 (why does that sound sexual?) anyways I think I've found a sweet spot with the software. I don't give S&T a chance to create routes over a few hundred miles. I've found it I put a leg marker every 300 miles or so, the route is more accurate... I also make sure to tag every exchange change that I would make.... It takes a bit more work, but so far works real well.
What I've done is set begin route, end route and let the prog do the route. Then I go back over it and fine tune by setting my markers.
usually works out roughly half shift times.

K2 10-4
Old 12-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I'd love to try out Co-Pilot, but i'm not about to spend that kind of money if it doesn't do exactly what i want it to. I wish they'd come out with a demo version of it.

Uh...Walmart!

I use the Garmin NUVI 350. Its not trucking software but thats where I come in. I know what the Garmin dosent.
It is extremely accurate at identifying streets with no names, alleys, deadends, alternate directions in a flash & my exact location at all times.
It has great signal reception & lots of other mapping capabilities I wont bore you with here. Its about the size of a deck of cards & very readable on the dash.
It has some things I dont care about like the mp3 player, book reader etc. But i got this model because of the fast & accurate satellite reception.
Except for tunnels Ive never lost reception. It even accurrately shows the shape of the manmade water ponds that farmers dig out in their field.
My one gripe about it is the speaker is too small & faces the windshield & when your driving a big truck that makes big noice, its a little hard to hear.