User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GPS

I have had no luck with GPS in my truck. in the car its ok but semi no. Not trucker friendly so dont buy the TomTom GPS

Happy Holidays

Loaded Like A Boxcar, Drive It Like A Stock Car
Old 12-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
There are times that it tells me to exit when I don't need to but if I have studied my route carefully I can tell when it has a hickup in the routing.
Soladad
If there are times that it tells you to exit when you don’t need to then you are obviously not doing something right. To identify what it is you are not doing right, however, would require that I watch how you go about routing.

I’ve been using Streets & Trips for the better part of a year now and never have that problem. Indeed, I do all my routing with Streets and Trips and during navigation mode the software never tells me to exit unless it’s at the correct spot.

The only problem I had with routing was when it wanted to route me through a particular city instead of around it.

When I first started using the software and it routed me through a particular city instead of around it, I used to drag and drop the route manually around the perimeter of the particular city, which was a real tedious pain in the ass. Until I wised up that is and experimented with avoid area squares and rectangles.

Now anytime the software routes me through a particular city instead of around it like I desire, I simply draw a square or rectangle through the center of the city and designate as an avoid area, and from then on the software will automatically route you around the particular city, and to make the changes permanent, I simply save the changes in my default map. Hence, the next time I have to route through that particular city, the software will automatically route me around it as I desire.

I also use avoid area squares and rectangles to force the software to take certain desired routes like for instance when there is only one truck designated way in to a certain location, but numerous other routes in for four wheelers. I’ll use avoid area squares and rectangles to block all the other ways in, which then forces the software to automatically route the desired route in. Again, I’ll save these changes in my default map to make them permanent.

As for as using the software goes, I love it and think it does a wonderful job. I especially like it on those deliveries that you have to make when it is pitch black dark and so foggy you can’t see the roads you must turn on let alone the street signs. At times like these, is when the software really earns its money!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Board Regular

I have used Delormes Street Atlas 2006 and it did okay :? When I was heading up I5 through Sacramento, it was trying to get me to take an exit, bypass I5 and then get back on. Not to mention it also was very error prone when I tried to find one of Safeways Vendors.

I have not had the chance to use the TOM TOM for trucking, but as a tow operator, it does really good at getting you to your destination. It also has truck routing as a setting which is always a plus... Nothing like ending up down a steep grade, looking at water, and having to get the police to help back you up the hill :shock: :shock:
Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 PM

I just got PcMiler. For around 6 months my sole tool has been a PDA with Mapopolis mounted on my dash. I still use that, and have PcMiler running on my notebook on the passenger seat.

My PDA has integrated GPS and is Bluetooth capable, so I found another tool (GPSgate) that transmits the GPS data to the notebook via Bluetooth.

Prior to getting PcMiler, I'd first use MapQuest to get a general idea, take a look at the company routing, then decide what to do using the Atlas after calling my destination to get instructions from a known main road. I'd then program the route into my PDA for turn-by-turn instructions.

It worked OK, but I was often faced with having to make an unplanned turn because of a No Truck sign, or a road I didn't want to go down.

Mapopolis running on the PDA would continually update my route pointing me in the right direction as I chose roads that were safe. It's just not possible to have detailed maps for every city I drive.

Because I didn't know any better, I'd always give the company routing deference in going city-to-city assuming they know what they're doing. Many times I struggled with heavy loads down skinny state roads wondering if my alternate Interstate route would have been better. During orientation with my company, the safety guys made a lot of noise about "out of route" miles.

With PCMiler, I'm able to plug speeds into road types and calculate my ETA accordingly. I've found that my company gives household routings which mostly gives shortest distance routings. Using the Practical Route feature, I may add close to 200 miles to my route, but knock off close to 2 hours off the trip.

I wish I had gotten this software earlier thinking back to the untold hours I spent on skinny state roads out east in VA, WV, PA and the like.

The Old School guys have their ways, and they're welcome to them. All red lines in an atlas look the same. A lot of these old-timers in the truck stops like to hear themselves talk and will not admit that they don't know.

With this software, I can drill down to a single road segment and see the average speed I can expect on it.

More importantly, though, I can keep my dispatcher up to date regarding my ETA so he can be looking for my next load before I get there.

So far, I've found that PCMiler doesn't do too well at the destinations and I've found myself relying more on Mapopolis for the short strokes. I've found that the 3-D view is helpful in cities but have only taken 3 trips for it so far.

I also really like the PDA mounted on the dash because it keeps my eyes on the road. It's much safer than driving city streets at night with the cab light on refering to a crumpled up piece of paper.

Technology rules!

BTW, another great tool I really rely on is MapQuest's aerial view. It's a satellite view of the destination that helps to get a picture in the mind. As a new driver, it really reduces the pucker factor.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Rookie
Default No Microsoft!!!

Hi everybody!

I used to be a java software developer for those famous dot-coms. Why I spent $125 to buy Microsoft Streets and Trips is beyond me. I guess the pretty picture on the box hypnotized me - like a mesmerizer holding up a shiny object or something. What a piece of junk! (Microsoft is a monopoly, and all of their software is junk.) I'm a company driver now, and I'm still looking for the best GPS software for trucks. So far all I've discovered is that Streets & Trips isn't what I'm looking for. I wouldn't use it for delivering Domino's! 8)
Old 02-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodude
I use the Garmin NUVI 350. It has some things I dont care about like the mp3 player, book reader etc.
I find audio-books makes driving 11 hours enjoyable, especially at night when you can't do much sightseeing. It does not distract me from paying attention to driving at all. I haven't used a MP3 player yet. I have Sirus and it has a variety of stations.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
GPS doesn't make a trip plan. You still need to sit down and do your homework of directions and map reading. The routing that comes out is totally dependent on what you put in. I have been using Streets and Trips for 10 months and with a GPS for the last month. Works good as long as you watch how the computer routes. There are times that it tells me to exit when I don't need to but if I have studied my route carefully I can tell when it has a hickup in the routing. Always have my dry erase board on the dash with the written routing and directions into my pickups and delieveries in case the computer quits. My atlas is always close with the route also marked with a dry eraser dotted line for quick over view.

Soladad
Not sure if your doing the same thing I'm doing. I'll make "STOPS" along my route to mannualy tell MS S&T which way to go. Most times though it's pretty good about routing me. I've also noticed that the mileage it says between point A and B is very very close to what my company says I'll get paid for. I've had it for nearly 2 years now, will update to 2007 sometime.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Default GPS My story

I first began using GPS in 1999 after I had seen other drivers using the Delorme street Atlas and I have purchased the upgrades from year to year. This is a product that can enhance your traveling experience but you have to invest some time in using the product the last version I purchased was a package deal $100. For software and a GPS receiver that advertised a far superior chip set within and they are correct it is the best ever made. This program will alter its view as you enter areas where you will make a turn and return to a high up view once you have completed your turn. My advice is not to rely 100% on this technology to get you there you have to use your head plan your trip with it but don't take it for every thing; it is not designed with truckers in mind as their main consumers. But this is who really brings them their bacon. Why would I claim this because in all I have spent over $300. Personally on this stuff and have yet had the desire to go to a country club or yacht club. The computer will route you on roads that don't exists as it did in Victorville CA. It has no listing of weight restrictions nor height you have to use street atlas as a inexpensive alternative to the higher priced software offered at the truck shows. The scales are not listed but you can place a dot on the new version and list what it is.
The most attractive feature I have found with the new Delorme street atlas is the ability to enter a dot on the map and fill in all information on a customer and it will stay there until you manually remove it from your map. The old version had a capability to enter information but it blocked views of the map the new version places a discreet dot or flag not compromising the map view at any level in my current job we frequent many of the same places so if another driver ever ask me where a tank is I can show him exactly where it is to the foot if he has GPS all I do is give him the 2 sets of numbers and he can route it himself just from entering about 20 characters.
When on a run where you want to stop lets say every 2 hours or 150 miles you can enter this into its little brain and it will do just that and you can place on the log book where you are knowing in full confidence where you are not having to get on the CB asking the proper name or spelling of where you are. Sometimes you are hauling a heavy load and need to get fuel every 25 gallons you can do this too the device will allow you to enter your mpg and frequency of refueling you will need using these perimeters is great it really helps you know exactly what you are up against on a run and can plan your trip to be the safest driver you can be.
Remember this about computing garbage in =garbage out you will get what you ask for the trick is asking the correct questions you have to read and you have to think too.

Boc is a customer we have and they seem to want to get a driver lost their directions need a lot of work but with this device as a back up you can realize where the customer really is. I usually find a customer using an address and look at the directions given by the company and try to see in my minds eye what is the way to go. As you exit an interstate it helps to know where it is on the map and use directions its just wise to have as much information as you can have.
If at all possible have another driver go over the features with you and get the basics of the program when you have time play with it use the demos and hit the help button.

I am currently shopping for a small stand alone GPS just to save my lap top from the abuse of the truck being left open in transit or breaking it down to secure it at a truck stop. I like to have a back up because if you rely on this equipment it sucks when you loose a device. I will try Microsoft (MS) software version I always kept away from MS because in the past they MS required a disk to run all the time to operate Garmin street atlas you can install the entire program on your hard drive and never had to insert a disk to plan a water to water trip. It seems like we truckers have to be consumer reporters on these devices we are the only ones that do the miles in all the areas. I am leaning toward the Garmin 350 but really don't want to pass that much cash so I might go for the I5.
I want to help by sharing what I have learned so you might journey in comfort and security safely. I need help with taxes What can you deduct? All help will greatly appreciated I don't give smart ass replies to those that are acting kindly as so many do. Taxes is an incredible wealth wound learn how to get all that is yours.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Rookie

I currently use TruckMiles 8. It is the newest version they have out. Just came out about 1 - 2 months ago. Still has a few bugs but i find it very helpful. It is completely gps compatable. Has a Drive mode so it will tell you " Turn left 1/4 mile ". Type in the address you are at and the one you are going to and it will route you to the front door. Not a bad program for around 250$.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Default copilot 10 is what i will be using

http://www.alk.com/copilot/laptop.asp

Looks really good to get me near my loc.Then use my garmin 7200 as a backup.