User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 03:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question for everyone who has worked North Dakota in the winter. Whats it like hauling water or even oil. Common sence tell me that in sub zero temps water will freeze fast, so do your hoses turn into popsicles and are they very hard to work with? and what do u need to do to make it work. And what about water in your tanks and at your flow valves do they have any problems from freezing up ? Do trucks have some sort of heating system to help keep things thawed out. Do you end up haveing to knock ice off anything often.. If anyone could just break down the whole water hauling scenario it would be real helpfull in deciding which state to get started out in this winter. PS For the people Trying to get into the water/oil hauling Biz with no EXP. they seem to be hiring Truck school Grads down in TX mostly around Odessa/midland area and some in Eagleford to the south. For a Newbie thats a sure fire way to get some exp. then head back up north in the spring for higher pay. Other than that Good Luck. LOL
Old 09-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Braniam that sound awsome... congrads with MBI. Sounds like you had some experience... I'm was thinking about applying there too. I'm not so sure if I should apply to MBI at this point. I just got my CDL A with all the endorsements, but I'm a total newibe... with no experience. I would appreciate... if you have the time... to hear from you if I should apply or don't bother because of that lack of experience.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Rookie

Hey justruckin I really want in on this area where do I start
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Rookie

I'd like some info on the driving job your talking about
Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Rookie

Hello to all forum veterans and newbies! I have been trolling the forum here for since about June of '12 and I have to compliment all contributors new and old-the information provided and questions posed are very, very helpful. I am finally posting now as I've had time to review, prepare and decide that I'd like to move myself north to take part in the wealth of opportunities in the Bakken oilfields. After reading all I could in formal media publications, forums, websites and digesting that with the emails and stories of folklore of the "wild west" style of the Bakken area, I finally decided to forgo those preconceptions and come and see for myself.

I may write further of the actual experience of driving into the "supposed" wild west, but suffice to say other than there being a rather large amount of traffic (obviously) the whole area has seemed warm and much more normal than those in the manner of spewing about how crazy this area is seem to like to project.

But finally, to my point- I am looking for any specific recommendations for a decent outfit that would be willing to take on a partial newbie. I recently acquired my official CDL-A with all endorsements (just waiting on return for fingerprinting). I have a squeaky clean driving record with not so much as a speeding ticket for over the last 5 years. I have my passport for outfits that my run north of the border and have no issues with doing so if required. Also, I am completely free of any drug habit of any sort (I don't even smoke-boring I know!) other than the desire to have a cold beer or two at the end of a week's work. I have only to complete my H2S and OSHA training, which I understand I can complete in a couple of days(?). Where I lack specifically is in formal, verifiable OTR or hauling experience. I drove a rig on the farm years back from field to market but in that mode I wasn't even mandated to have an official CDL license. I drove many years in that capacity where I would rate my total years experience at 6 years. In that capacity I also had much experience with driving off the road in sometimes very poor conditions as well as interstate driving. I also am familiar with numerous types of mechanical equipment and inclined in minor routine maintenance and repair thereof.

So, in short what I am in need of is a outfit that will be willing to overlook my non-conforming experience background and give me a shot to prove that I have the abilities to drive a rig safely and proficiently. I also might mention that I have lodging lined up if necessary in the Watford City area, BUT if there was a outfit that provided lodging that would be a very nice bonus but not a specific requirement of any sort. I have gleaned a number of the leads from this post recent and old such as Sanjel, Waggoners, Hurleys Oil, UCP, Shoppers News, etc. but after knowing my specific situation and background if there is any suggestion in addition to those I would welcome any and all. Thanks much and apologies for the long-winded post but I figured I may as well make the first one a good one. At least if this doesn't work out I here there may be some new openings in reffing for the NFL, just need some stripes, hat, a whistle and some eye blinders! Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by thebigmac_1; 09-27-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Rookie

How is work looking for drivers right now? I have a friend that is doing wireline and said its really slowing down. Maybe elections? Also anyone have any info on companies in TX that do water trucks and would be good to work for?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Rookie

Hi Lights Out,
I am interested in getting those numbers from you I am new driver comming to ND oil field to drive water trucks . Please contact me at fitinmt at gmail
Many thanks !!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Hey Justruckin,

I am down here in FL in the process of obtaining my CDL license, can you advise on whether any companies up there will take me on with a fresh license or any advise on the fastest way to get up to ND and get driving?

Thanks

Tony
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Rookie

If you have little to No Exp. in Trucking your chances are slim to Non in North Dakota right now. Im not trying to scare anyone away but thats just the way the page has turned up there. On the other hand down in Texas and OK they are hireing Newbies if you will, and i would say get in and get your exp while the getting is good. once you get enough exp u can go up north and freeze your tail feathers off for bit more money.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM

I haul frac sand in West Texas and southern New Mexico. My average take home is $1500 a week. Might could make more in North Dakota but the winters sure are more bearable down south. We are staying busy.