User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Braniam,
Congrats on the interview, what kind of background/experience do you have looking for this type of work?? Thanks much.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Rookie

Thanks SteveP. I have about 20 years driving experience with about 4 pulling a tank and 2 of those hauling heavy oil. They questioned my winter driving experience but I think anyone who has driven OTR and have had to chain up on more than a couple of occations would know what they might be getting into and would qualify to start. The off road thing is important too from what I can tell. I have a couple of years experience hauling bulk materials to large road projects and farms and I think that helps. I would be interested in hauling water just the same but I think the oil could pay a but more. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:33 AM
Rookie

I was working as a frac heater through out ND and MT. The money is amazing for sure! However, I got laid off when it warmed up because I didn't have a CDL. I have my CDL now, do you know anyone willing to hire a new driver?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Rookie

I have my class a, tanker, hazmat, doubles/triples...seems as though the job listings are calling for two years Tanker exp all of a sudden when 6 or 7 months back everyone was saying 'will train' ...any advice or tips on what kind of jobs, or companies I can go about applying for that WILL train? I'll take just about anything to get my foot in the door. I have 3 yrs driving experience and would eventually like to haul crude. Any advice In the right direction would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Rookie

TCW-Try Waggoneers Trucking. I spoke with them the other day about heading up there with no/little experience (w/ CDL in hand) and to make a long story short-"where there is a will there is a way". Especially for someone who has some driving experience such as yourself. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Rookie
Default MBI oil driver offer

So I got an offer from MBI today to haul oil based out of Ross, ND but I still don't have any driver references. The money sounds good but it's not the kind of money I have heard of on this thread. I would be grateful if someone could give me any first hand knowledge of being a driver for MBI.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Board Regular

Brainiam,

Go for it, as the training they give you is priceless up here... It will open doors to better paying gigs... Like $10,000+ gross a month. DO IT!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Board Regular

HaYnHauler,

Good to hear! Congrats and enjoy your new adventure!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks Mike. I will be calling to accept in the morning.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1471 View Post
Hi Justruckin,

Thanks for the information... I like that your straight up with your answers. And I agree... not to worry too much about the starting hourly salary at the beginning. If you're reliable and good driver... I would think your chances of getting raises would increase pretty quick. Plus I would think all the other outfits would probably try to steal good drivers away if they aren't paying them right or giving them enough hours.

I have a question for you... could you tell me what your career path was like when you first came to work in North Dakota? Like what position you started as... how your pay increased... companies you switched over for and why? Are you a manager now or what you current duties are? You don't have to give the names of the companies... but it would be interesting if you did. And where would you steer a newbie like me to start off at. I don't want to work on the rigs as a hand or anything like that... I'm too old for that. Driving a tanker truck is what I want to do... whether it was crude oil or water hauling. As far as experience... do you think it would be a good idea to get some experience in Texas or at least 6 months truck driving experience... before coming up to North Dakota? Or just take my chances and come up anyways?
David,

i came up to make money, namely save my house and marriage, in that order... All is good, bills are paid, refinancing the house, wife is happy. No career path, I'm in my late 40's, starting over after liquidating our trucking company. Went up wanting to work, and we worked, and still do, some pretty rough hours. And I could make more if I wanted, been offered a few gigs, just like where I am at. And actually starting a business on the side with another driver I found right here on this board this past winter. He is a home boy from MI, now my roommate, and me and him think along the same lines and have allot in common.

As far as getting ahead, I am the night manager, call the shots, babysitter, in an unofficial capacity. There is room to advance with the right outfits, as most have offices in other states with employees that are unwilling to come up and do what we do. So yes, there are many open possibilities for advancement with just about every outfit up here, if that is what you want to do. Come on up, the water is warm, and it ain't from me pissing in the pool.

Mike