User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Toughest question to get an answer

Here is the challenge. Tell me what you like or why you drive for the company you drive for. Its not hard to find things you don't like or why I shouldn't drive for such and such company.

The reason I ask this is I am going to a community college driving program in one week. Six weeks later I should, with a little luck, be going to a company for their program. Several companies come to this school to talk students. Help me pick.

The school is DMACC, Des Moines Area Community College in Des Moines Iowa.

Thanks for the help. One more time please, I have and still am reading the why not and who to avoid, Ok I believe, but who does that leave?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Be careful of what you ask for - you might just get it.

Ask for other's opinions but remember that their responses are based on their own experiences and prejudices.

Yours are going to be yours.

This is of course a response based upon my own experiences and prejudices so take it as such.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I worked for Con-Way for a bit over 2 years. LTL Dock-to-driver is one of the best ways to start a driving career.

The good was the training, I had 2-3 times the experience of the typical OTR shake n' bake program. Once I had my CDL I had the benefit of lots of mentoring from some great experienced drivers.

My 1st day of being a driver I was earning $.41cpm on line and $17.50/hr for dock and city work.

I never once did not sleep in my own bed my 2 years there. A few times I ran out of hours on my 14 or 16 and had to be picked up.

This is not to say LTL is easy; it just presents a somewhat different set of challenges that OTR.
You will pay your dues being on call, getting the "fun" breakouts on the dock, running Donner both ways with chain controls, working 70hrs in 5 days etc.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member

I like the fact that my employer leaves me the hell alone. I'm told when and where to pick up, then when and where to deliver. The rest is up to me. I run the route I want to run, on the schedule I want to run it, and communication between me and my company tends to be minimal. Generic things like 'variety' and so forth apply to most companies, but not being bothered as I go through the week is a huge plus for me.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
BANNED
Default Re: Toughest question to get an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider
Here is the challenge. Tell me what you like or why you drive for the company you drive for. Its not hard to find things you don't like or why I shouldn't drive for such and such company.

The reason I ask this is I am going to a community college driving program in one week. Six weeks later I should, with a little luck, be going to a company for their program. Several companies come to this school to talk students. Help me pick.

The school is DMACC, Des Moines Area Community College in Des Moines Iowa.

Thanks for the help. One more time please, I have and still am reading the why not and who to avoid, Ok I believe, but who does that leave?
When the used car salesmen... oops, I mean trucking company recruiters visit your class, don't believe everything they claim.... always verify in writing from the company what the recruiter " promises ".
Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Default Re: Toughest question to get an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
When the used car salesmen... oops, I mean trucking company recruiters visit your class, don't believe everything they claim.... always verify in writing from the company what the recruiter " promises ".
Now usually I don't agree much with BD but he has a point there! :wink: :lol: I drive team with my hubby for US Xpress. We like them (as you might have read on the forum a lot of people don't! :lol: ), because we're on a semi-dedicated run and make an excellent pay check every week. We haven't run anything under 5200 miles (mostly it's between 5700-6200 miles a week on average). I know there are drivers wanting more and will say this isn't much, but WE are happy with it. They dispatch our loads for the entire week so we know where we're going and they'll leave us alone. Benefits are good and the equipment is awesome. USX has automatics so a lot of drivers think you're not a real truck driver driving an automatic, but we love it. It's less tiring and especially in busy traffic you don't have to up- or down shift; the truck does it for you.

There's one thing I don't like about USX and that is that there's not a 'family' feel to it. Yes it's a big company but we drove for big companies before but at least we felt there that people actually liked hanging out together if it happened you had to be at a terminal, but none of that here. Drivers here are more on their own and they are grumpy and complaining so we stay away from terminals as much as we can. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 AM

I work for a small private truckload carrier. I love my job (most days). I come in when I want (except for the rare occasions when I have an appointment to make), I make my deliveries (mostly to regular customers who I know on a first-name basis), and I go home. In the 15 months I've worked there, I've been dispatched on one trip I had to layover for (I've got a little bunk, but it's pretty much just for napping - much better than trying to catch winks in a daycab), and have worked parts of two Saturdays. Most of my loads are drop & hook, and I work about 40-50 hours a week, give or take a little bit. Our equipment is all leased - new tractors every five years (mine was new in June), new trailers every 10. Sure, I could be making a bit more money working some other places, but it fits my lifestyle. As long as I do my job, no one bugs me, and I have plenty of time with my family & friends. Would it be great for everybody? Of course not. But I'm pretty damn happy.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok; I'll try to be totally "positive"----which is asking a lot from me.

Why I drive for Shaffer Trucking(still):

They get me home 99% of the time (on time) without any crying or bitching about the 193 mile deadhead( fuel cost ) of course I also think I'm being reasonably accomidating by staying out for 18days to 42days.

My average weekly miles still fall reasonably adequate. 2500-3600

My cpm pay is at the top of the industry(non union)

Average length of haul is over 1000 miles per run.( which basically means-- I don't have to work very hard) It also means I close the doors and--

they leave me alone

they leave me very much alone( unlike the last company which would "bug" me about crap like --- hard brake data, over speed, excessive over speed, Ass Hole with cell phone called in on you)
to date-- Crete/Shaffer hasn't 'bugged' me any.

Load select(sometimes) & non forced dispatch(which is good & bad) but mostly a plus.

Good driver friendly reefer freight.( no touch- and lumper accounts at most all customers) Usually always under 2 hours at any customer.

Transflow( not a very big plus- since most companies are doing it these days)

65mph truck; on the positive side--- you'd have to try real hard/fuck up to get a ticket.
__that's about all I can think of at this time that's still positive __________________________________________________ ________
Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 AM

Thanks for the response and please keep them coming. Create has been at the top of my short list, I like what was said about us express. Headborg thanks. I have looked at shaffer more than once, but not sure if I want that much time away, 18 - 42 days out, you have my respect.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg

My cpm pay is at the top of the industry(non union)
Just wondering what that might be. If you don't mind posting.