User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ok ronjon619, If that picture is real, of the woman hopefully not you, that is right up their among the scariest people I have ever seen!!! gees, tats ok, but whats up with the gash and staples? :shock:
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hey IArider,

I went to DMACC's transportation Institute 3 years ago. It's got to be one of the best schools in the country. They have several instructors that have 30+ years experience. One of them even drove tour bus for ZZ Top you'll get a kick out of old bill, he had a hell of a time teaching me to back :lol: The school is rated really high by the A.T.A. (I believe that's who) anyways, I paid $3500 out of pocket because and went there full-time 7am to 5pm for 6 weeks because I didn't want to start my career by being a pumpkin driver. After I graduated I went to drive for a supposedly "good company" as told by certain members on this forum and another forum - Roehl. They really sucked.

I believe there's a saying that goes something like this:

A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own.

Want my advice? Go drive for Crete.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Toughest question to get an answer

i drive for swift. i've been with them for 14 months now. at first, i had a somewhat rocky beginning once i was released for solo status. it was mainly because i would speak to the negative people. it doesn't matter how strong of a mental block you have. you will be affected by all the negativity at some point. the way i've remedied this is by staying in my truck for most of the time and leaving to take care of the personal business. i don't mingle with the whiners and complainers anymore. since then, i've been content.

swift also tends to leave me alone while i'm on a load. sometimes i'll get a few runs that only go 800 miles, and then will get a couple in that take me 1500 miles or more. on an awesome week, i go anywhere from 2500-3300 miles. on a slow week, i am lucky to break 2100 miles.

as far as finding empties, it really depends on where you are. if you're down in fontana & mira loma, california. all i gotta say is "good luck" on finding an empty trailer. the showers at both facilities are nasty, but i've taken showers in worse conditions, at worse truck stops, mainly the punjabi owned ones. those are gross! the salt lake city terminal pretty much sucks. people will drop trailers anyway they can, regardless of who they'll be blocking in. i have to park in a way where i feel there's a 90 - 100% chance i won't be blocked from getting out. the only positive, i feel about that terminal, is that pizza hut delivers there. other than that, not only do i hate salt lake shitty, i absolutely hate utah.

i also like driving for swift because there's usually a terminal within range of a cosignee. i don't have to hang out at a truck stop, or an off-ramp somewhere until i get my next load. most of the terminals are within ev-do high speed network range, too. so, that's a plus. overall, i feel they've been good to me. i don't come from a family oriented background. it's easy for me to stay out for longer than a month to whenever i feel like taking some time off. i have no problem referring to myself as a number. it's no different from those air force days.

i do find military background to be a definite bonus to this industry. an undisciplined person will usually throw in the towel within their first week, month, or year. whereas a person with a military background will be able to handle the rough and tough times, and still keep on kicking, and doing their job without bitching as much, or at all. if they complain, it's to themselves or to trustworthy friends.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

I absolutely love my job. I look forward to going to work every day. I like the fact that I work for top notch people. My manager is great. The work atmosphere is relaxed and I am treated with respect.

I like the hourly pay because I am paid for everything I do. If my manager asks me to do a favor he takes care of me. For example, last Sunday, he asked if I'd go make a pickup near the Indy airport. I took a straight truck and picked up six pallets. It took me an hour and a half. He paid me for 4 hours that day. Last night I had to make an emergency run to the downtown post office after I had just returned form my regular run. I am sitting at home today getting paid 4 hours all of which are OT.

Some people like getting paid by the mile. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken
Quote:
Oh Phil. You are awesome. You have taught me so much today. Can you teach me more? I have learned so much about myself because of you. You're great Phil.
What a comeback! Such wit! :roll:
Oh Phil give me more. That was so insightful!
Hark. O' for where art thou ridge runner??? (or any other mod)

Break out the mops and clean up this thread.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider
Thanks for the response and please keep them coming. Create has been at the top of my short list, I like what was said about us express. Headborg thanks. I have looked at shaffer more than once, but not sure if I want that much time away, 18 - 42 days out, you have my respect.
Then I have to add to my USX experience: we have to stay out 6 weeks and then we have 1 week off which we don't care about but a lot of people do. You can only get on this semi-dedicated run with them if you run team so it's not a solo thing. Sorry I was short; didn't mean to misinform anyone out there.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Rookie

I work for Koch (pronounced Cook!) been there a year now, working out of Lawrence Kansas on a dedicated account, home every Friday, a good truck (Volvo) easy runs, 2200 to 2700 a week, never get bothered, run how and which route I pick, a boss that pays me without questions if I have "hold ups" Regional work, Twin Cities to Indy to Houston to no further West than Lawton OK, nothing past Evansville IN, if I'm at a shipper and waiting, call the boss, he'll send emails, and so far it works, I get finished and on the road.
The company looks after you, had a problem back in the U.K. they let me take the time off with no come backs, everyone is there to help you......
One of the BIG things to do in trucking............. Stay away from all the whinners and negative drivers, their problems are theirs....Do not let them become yours.
Life, it's simple if you find your own niche, living it through some one else, will leave you empty...........
Old 03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg

My cpm pay is at the top of the industry(non union)
Just wondering what that might be. If you don't mind posting.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken
Quote:
I'm not in LTL good buddy.
I don't care what you do, if you stick up for cfm then you're just as bad as he is. So what do you do? You clean the showers at the Pilot and that makes you an expert on the industry? :lol:
Sorry, I skip over 99% of everything cfm writes, and Colts Fan is nowhere near in cfm's ballpark. His initial comment in this thread was a little borderline, but he repeatedly said "whatever floats your boat".
Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider
Thanks for the response and please keep them coming. Create has been at the top of my short list, I like what was said about us express. Headborg thanks. I have looked at shaffer more than once, but not sure if I want that much time away, 18 - 42 days out, you have my respect.
I'm about three weeks into my training with Crete. First/only company I've been with. The post school training so far has been excellent. (Only problem is my trainer might not be doing any more students outta school, which is a shame, as he's pretty damned good, IMNSHO) The pay looked pretty good, and for the past month, we've not had a problem getting in some miles.

How long you are out might depend on where you are located exactly. I'm guessing IA? With any of the companies you are looking at, my research indicated that you shouldn't plan on being home much the first year. One of the 'joys' of OTR.