User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishman
One of the BIG things to do in trucking............. Stay away from all the whinners and negative drivers, their problems are theirs....Do not let them become yours.
Life, it's simple if you find your own niche, living it through some one else, will leave you empty...........
That's what I'm trying too because it will get you down too and that's the last thing I want! You're so right about that!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
I like the fact that my employer leaves me the hell alone. I'm told when and where to pick up, then when and where to deliver. The rest is up to me. I run the route I want to run, on the schedule I want to run it, and communication between me and my company tends to be minimal. Generic things like 'variety' and so forth apply to most companies, but not being bothered as I go through the week is a huge plus for me.

when I first interviewed, my boss said, I only ask two things, pick up and deliver when you are supposed to and dont cost me any money. doesnt get much easier than that.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
I'm not in LTL good buddy.
I don't care what you do, if you stick up for cfm then you're just as bad as he is. So what do you do? You clean the showers at the Pilot and that makes you an expert on the industry? :lol:

Quote:
And you didn't make your point very well first time around.
Let me guess. You don't understand sarcasm. I bet you have the personality of a dead fish.

Quote:
Anyone reading your garbled rambling would infer that you shouldn't be paid for those things because it isn't hard work.
I write very well thank you. When I had a desk job it was common for me to work 30min for free out of my hour lunch. When I tell someone that I'll follow up with them, I actually do.

Quote:
You made no mention that those things only take you a half hour.
You can combine a PTI and fuel in one single 15 minute increment on line 4 that's common knowledge, it only takes 15min to get a scale ticket.
Now why do you feel the need to be desparaging of the folks that clean showers??
Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh Phil. You are awesome. You have taught me so much today. Can you teach me more? I have learned so much about myself because of you. You're great Phil.
What a comeback! Such wit! :roll:
Oh Phil give me more. That was so insightful!
Hark. O' for where art thou ridge runner??? (or any other mod)

Break out the mops and clean up this thread.
Your ONLY saving grace ( both of you ) is the fact that this thread pi$$ing match happened about the same time I cleaned up the "Heartland" thread and issued my LAST warning. I really expected better than this from the both of you. You BOTH have a lot of knowledge to share. Please do so without hijacking a thread to start a pi$$ing match.

I don't think that is asking too much,

Ridge
Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider
Thanks for the response and please keep them coming. Create has been at the top of my short list, I like what was said about us express. Headborg thanks. I have looked at shaffer more than once, but not sure if I want that much time away, 18 - 42 days out, you have my respect.
I'm about three weeks into my training with Crete. First/only company I've been with. The post school training so far has been excellent. (Only problem is my trainer might not be doing any more students outta school, which is a shame, as he's pretty damned good, IMNSHO) The pay looked pretty good, and for the past month, we've not had a problem getting in some miles.

How long you are out might depend on where you are located exactly. I'm guessing IA? With any of the companies you are looking at, my research indicated that you shouldn't plan on being home much the first year. One of the 'joys' of OTR.

what you said gmh is half true--but the last half is completely wrong.
Yes, how long you stay out does depend very much on where you live in relationship to available loads --- both In and out, and if your company has
customers close by - where you live--- other words do you live on their "freight lanes" or at the End of a freight lane.
Myself, I live smack dab in the middle of no-where Arkansas (Gassville, Ar-Mountain Home, Ar)--- I stay out 18-48 days--- because almost no OTR carrier has any customers closer than 80 miles from my house-- and that's for OUTBOUND loads--- nearest inbound to get me home is 112 miles. But usually it's a 193mile hop to get me home.

Your research is flawed. You go home as often as the recruiter and you agree to up front....if you let them bend you over---for a whole year...you're just being some Trucking Companies---BitXH.
If you live on an interstate or near a large city-- there's very little reason why they can't get you home at least every 2 weeks.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Board Regular

To be honest, Headborg, my research on hometime isn't flawed; it is non-existent. I didn't even bother looking at it, as only one thing mattered for me with respect to hometime: I'm home either Christmas Day or an alternative day nearby that I specify.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
To be honest, Headborg, my research on hometime isn't flawed; it is non-existent. I didn't even bother looking at it, as only one thing mattered for me with respect to hometime: I'm home either Christmas Day or an alternative day nearby that I specify.
Then you're just too easy going for your employer----by setting a precident like that-- willing to work without taking any personal time. There's more to life than holding a steering wheel---
Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Then you're just too easy going for your employer----by setting a precident like that-- willing to work without taking any personal time. There's more to life than holding a steering wheel---
Unless you rat me out to Mr. Acklie, the company doesn't know they can abuse me yet. Seriously, I'm still with the trainer, and did request my time off mid-training.

And for personal reasons that I haven't gone into on this board (and have no intention on doing any time soon) 'home time' or 'personal time' is very, very low on my list of priorities in life.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 AM

Again thanks. the words of wisdom, don't hang with the whiners will be taken.
I'm glad to hear the good words about DMACC. I started last time with a company provided 6 day CDL mill program. It did not work, It may for some, but just not me. I am trying to do it right this time.

Being older them a lot of newbies, retirement is important to me. Any advise on what to look for? I see some match by percentage, some by penny or less per mile, some offer stock plans. This is confussing.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Board Regular

Part of the retirement question depends on how old you are, how long you want to work, and your requirements after retirement. You also need to figure if you think Social Security will be a factor for you. IOW, it's a fairly individual question.