User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofDriving
I left them last December 07 due to some personal issues that required me to move to Florida.
Well I wasnt aware that Marten trans wont hire or re-hire Florida drivers til after I was ready to come back to work.
Its Randys new policy these days not to hire from here,not sure why?
I'm sure freight availability in and out of Florida might have something to do with it and also I have heard that they were having trouble with trucks and/or trailers and loads getting stolen in Florida. Drivers weren't parking their trucks in a secure place when they went home or they would stop by their house for a short time and park their trucks wherever and then return to a spot where their truck used to be.
Quote:
I liked that if one didnt like the dispatcher he was assigned,you could just switch to another one w/out any problems.
This is nice if you need to do it. I've had the same fleet manger the whole time I've worked here.
Quote:
And the "no-chain policy"aswell.
This is nice too. I have had excellent luck when it comes to bad weather. I think maybe 2 days this past winter I had to drive in bad weather.

Quote:
Just wondering but how are the high fuel prices effecting company drivers there?Are they making drivers idle less?Or just maybe making more Tripacs available in all their trucks etc??
They haven't done a whole lot about it. They continue to equip the trucks with APU's. They will get on your ass if you have a APU and a high idle percentage. Idle time must be under 5% if you have one. They have also been telling us if prices are going up or down the next day and to fuel accordingly. Either that day or waiting until the next day to fuel if we can.
Quote:
I have been out of a big truck for a few months.
Just wonder whats going on for company drivers on the road in general?
For me and my 2 friends at Marten that I talk to regularly it has been going good. Haven't been sitting much at all. Sometimes on part of the weekend but that works out as a 34 hour restart is usually needed. Length of haul has been a little low though but my last few loads have been getting better. I just delivered in Houston from Wisconsin and tomorrow I pick up and head to Yuma,AZ for Monday morning. I'm hoping to pick up first thing in the morning so I can be in Yuma Saturday night to do a restart.
Quote:
How long have you been with Marten?
I was with Marten for 2 years then went local for a year and a half and in a moment of complete insanity returned 6 months ago.
Quote:
Well thx for the reply Bud.Its always good to hear from a Marten bluebird on here.Keep on truckin!
Good to hear from you too ! :wink: 8) 8)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Board Regular
Default Marten

THX , T.K. & Sickof Driving !"
For Ur comments on the Produce Hauling !"

Code:
IT's All Goo d 8)  :idea:
Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Marten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonekatz1
THX , T.K. & Sickof Driving !"
For Ur comments on the Produce Hauling !"
No problem, yeah frozen stuff like strawberries and such get run by solos too but the 33-34 degree continuous produce goes on teams for the most part but not always. There are 33-34 degree dairy loads that I run often. There's all kinds of freight that we haul though beside food. 8) 8)
Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 AM

10 years and only 39 cpm?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Thats what they will pay coming in w/ exp. but when I left them I was making .43cents.
I got miles w/ them.But I hear JB hunt+Heartland starts everyone at 47cents or something but most arent getting the miles to make a good check.
Its the "OTR+cents per mile game."
Check out a good site
http://truthabouttrucking.com
He really explains why OTR is really all a scam in general.Including the CdL driver schools turning out newbies to run freight at lower cost for all the coolie outfits out there.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

So with Marten are you constantly placed in a position of

going 'Back and Forth' with dispatch or is it just the one wacky girl

thats making the misery ?

The few drivers I have talked to like this company.

:arrow:
Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Does Marten pay for ALL lumpers?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Rookie

zipy
No I personaly had a crappy dispatcher w/ them at first but then decided to switch-(She in my opinion didnt know what she is doing and ran me in circles and also has bad people skills+ would just say the wrong things that would piss off any driver in general busting his ass out here,But the odds are most drivers wont get her, if she hasnt got fired already.)
-and stuck w/a good one after her.
My next dispatcher was very strict and by the book.I actually prefered that but as it goes with most trucking companies out here.just deliver on time and they will leave you alone.
Most dispatchers are good there.Its an option but most guys stick with the one they have.The whole time I worked for them I only had 2 dispatchers.
I guess there are bad seeds every where perhaps.
As far as lumpers for company drivers yeah they pay, but I think your an owner op,so Im not certain on the lumper question.Maybe TK could give you an answer on that one.
I never really talked to O?O's when I was w/ them.
But I beleive they do pay for lumpers.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as I know the lumper policy is the same for company drivers and contractors. They pay for all lumpers. I've been back 6 months and messed with freight once and that was last week. I had 6 pallets straight pull off. No cutting plastic, no nothing. So I grabbed a pallet jack and yanked them off because I would have spent more time getting a $15 tchek for the lumper than just doing it myself. It was Mclane so anytime I can get the hell out of there sooner I will. They seriously don't want any drivers in the trailer touching freight at all. The whole lumper thing really pisses me off even though I'm not the one paying them. Sometimes the amount they charge is ridiculous for what little work needs to be done.

Fleet managers are hit and miss. Mine is great for me. He's kinda by the book too. He sends me trips I do them. I haven't talked to him on the phone for at least 2 months. I haven't had a reason to. I just keep him informed of what I'm doing over the Qualcomm and bug him about a pre-plan once in a while and the job gets done. Bugging the fleet managers on the phone about BS stuff that can be done on the Qualcomm is an easy way to get on their bad side. 8) 8)
Old 04-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Rookie
Default Question about Marten..

Have you heard anything as to how their SE regional division is doing? Do they send you home with a trailer as a rule or can you bobtail home?

I may be looking for a change, but not until August or September (for several reasons). Thanks for anything you can provide!