Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Lets change it around, where do you geniuses think a "newbie" who wants to be an OTR driver get their training and work for their first year?
Because really, I dont know of any training companies that dont have tons of negative drivers such as yourself whining about them.
So lets hear it...say you run into a newbie who wants to be an OTR driver, where would you tell him to go?
They don't know Sheepdancer! Of all the posts I read on this forum the 2 of them reply to almost all of them and I'd say they have nothing to say for about 99.9% of the time. Just ignore it.
Do you want to know what the real world of trucking is like, or the beautiful scenery fantasy world that is portrayed by most recruiters. With the exception of Twilight Flyer, he does not gloss over what it is really like out there. ( not sucking up either)
Ive posted this many times out here, but I think it bears repeating. Ive been on this board for quite a while. I have hired many many drivers out here when I worked for JB hunt and NOT ONE TIME has one driver ive hired come back out here and said I lied to them (Believe it or not, that even surpised me) AM I glossing over anything? Im just a positive person. I tend not to dwell on the negative stuff. Ive seen people succeed at ALL TRUCKING COMPANIES. A lot of it is attitude. If a driver expects to do poorly when he starts a job, he will do poorly. I dont paint a rosey picture, I deal with AVERAGES. I will tell a driver what the AVERAGE is and leave it up to them whether he is an above average driver or below average driver.
I tend to recruit the same way as Twilight. Im just a little more active out here. By the way, Twilight doesnt have to recruit out here....I will recruit for him.
By the way Twilight, im trying to find you all some good drivers...but damn, you guys are picky...lol. I got one im calling tomorrow. I think he will work out fine.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Board Regular

They have the same ignorant attitude CFM has. They think that it is so easy to get on with a small local carrier. They don't realize that a lot of companies require at least 1 year exp. For them the perfect carrier is a hillbilly that runs a trucking company out of his garage, has 5 or 6 trucks that all old pieces of sh*t, and he pays you under the table. No quallcom, because he can't afford it and the maintainence is the best part you have to fix it yourself.

All you union, day cab drivers are just lazy mother f' ers. You don't have the stones for OTR, and you don't have the stones to stand up for yourselves thats why you pay for a union representation. Do u guys really think the union is going to save your job?? :lol: :lol: Fu*ck the TEAMSTERS
Old 02-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Lets change it around, where do you geniuses think a "newbie" who wants to be an OTR driver get their training and work for their first year?
Because really, I dont know of any training companies that dont have tons of negative drivers such as yourself whining about them.
So lets hear it...say you run into a newbie who wants to be an OTR driver, where would you tell him to go?
They don't know Sheepdancer! Of all the posts I read on this forum the 2 of them reply to almost all of them and I'd say they have nothing to say for about 99.9% of the time. Just ignore it.
LOL...But my pretty MsTulip...I do know...far more about Werner and Willis Shaw, than do you, or Mr. Sheepdancer. The Werner of today, is a far cry from the Werner of 1990 or the best of Werner-----1976. The same goes for Willis Shaw. When Willis Shaw was run by "The Shaw" family, it was a very decent operation...and respected. However...family members die..kids ignore reponsibility's..and trucking companies are sold. Since ComCar purchased Willis Shaw..it has been a down hill slide for a once decent company. Big is not always better.

Mr. Sheep...contrary to Clugmeister and a few others have to say...I see JBHunt, Schneider National, Knight Transportation, Swift, and yes May Trucking, as good solid "training" companies. They all have decent programs. I am dis-affected of these companies, as I have never, nor will I ever, work for them. I know several people who drive for all of them...whom are quite happy. Of course..these are people whom started their careers long ago, have seen far worse conditions, and understand the industry far better than people whom have come into it, as a "Last resort".

If after getting some road time and experience under their belts, then there are plenty of decent mid-size companies, that pay better, and offer better benefits.

If a young man or woman were willing to do the work..I would highly suggest companies such as Halliburton Well Services, Schlumberger Well Services, BJ Well Services, Weatherford Well Services, Wood Group Services Company, or Superior Well Services. All of them are good companies to work for. All of them are willing to train an already licensed driver. However...the work is hard and demanding. The people that take those jobs are expected to perform....during the hardest blizzard...the hardest rain, in the deepest mud or in the hottest sun. The people whom take jobs at those companies, can expect to be compensated for performance. The better they perform, the better the wage will be, the better the promotion oppotunity will be.

My best friend works for Schlumberger, Offshore Services. Thursday he received a $20,000 wage bump, based on his 2007 performance. He also was told he will receive a 7.5% COLA bump. His bonus check was big enough to make most retail regional managers cough and drool. The best part about my friend...he has zero college education, yet, because of HIS performance at his job, through every slow down in the Oil Industry since 1983, he has never been laid off, has never been reprimanded...and has always taken pride in his work...things most people will not do, now or ever, because this is the "ME" generation's time.

Oh yeah...another thing about my friend...If Schlumberger were to fire him...It will be after the nod from the CEO of the company, then it will be a senior vice-president giving him his walk to the door, not a district manager...nor an HR manager.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Oh Hell, Tulip (I hope you are a lady, Calling a dude Tulip would feel a little strange) I dont want to ignore people like this. As long as my posts are kept at the top of the boards, its great for me. They are helping me do my job. I believe it was Donald Trump who said, "Even negative attention is great advertising"
Old 02-27-2008, 02:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
Quote:
Do you want to know what the real world of trucking is like, or the beautiful scenery fantasy world that is portrayed by most recruiters. With the exception of Twilight Flyer, he does not gloss over what it is really like out there. ( not sucking up either)
Ive posted this many times out here, but I think it bears repeating. Ive been on this board for quite a while. I have hired many many drivers out here when I worked for JB hunt and NOT ONE TIME has one driver ive hired come back out here and said I lied to them (Believe it or not, that even surpised me) AM I glossing over anything? Im just a positive person. I tend not to dwell on the negative stuff. Ive seen people succeed at ALL TRUCKING COMPANIES. A lot of it is attitude. If a driver expects to do poorly when he starts a job, he will do poorly. I dont paint a rosey picture, I deal with AVERAGES. I will tell a driver what the AVERAGE is and leave it up to them whether he is an above average driver or below average driver.
I tend to recruit the same way as Twilight. Im just a little more active out here. By the way, Twilight doesnt have to recruit out here....I will recruit for him.
By the way Twilight, im trying to find you all some good drivers...but damn, you guys are picky...lol. I got one im calling tomorrow. I think he will work out fine.
what companies do you recruit for again?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Quote:
LOL...But my pretty MsTulip...I do know...far more about Werner and Willis Shaw, than do you, or Mr. Sheepdancer. The Werner of today, is a far cry from the Werner of 1990 or the best of Werner-----1976. The same goes for Willis Shaw. When Willis Shaw was run by "The Shaw" family, it was a very decent operation...and respected. However...family members die..kids ignore reponsibility's..and trucking companies are sold. Since ComCar purchased Willis Shaw..it has been a down hill slide for a once decent company. Big is not always better.

Mr. Sheep...contrary to Clugmeister and a few others have to say...I see JBHunt, Schneider National, Knight Transportation, Swift, and yes May Trucking, as good solid "training" companies. They all have decent programs. I am dis-affected of these companies. I know several people who drive for all of them...whom are quite happy. Of course..these are people whom started their careers long ago, have seen far worse conditions, and understand the industry far better than people whom have come into it, as a "Last resort".

If after getting some road time and experience under their belts, then there are plenty of decent mid-size companies, that pay better, and offer better benefits.

If a young man or woman were willing to do the work..I would highly suggest companies such as Halliburton Well Services, Schlumberger Well Services, BJ Well Services, Weatherford Well Services, Wood Group Services Company, or Superior Well Services. All of them are good companies to work for. All of them are willing to train an already licensed driver. However...the work is hard and demanding. The people that take those jobs are expected to perform....during the hardest blizzard...the hardest rain, in the deepest mud or in the hottest sun. The people whom take jobs at those companies, can expect to be compensated for performance. The better they perform, the better the wage will be, the better the promotion oppotunity will be.

My best friend works for Schlumberger, Offshore Services. Thursday he received a $20,000 wage bump, based on his 2007 performance. He also was told he will receive a 7.5% COLA bump. His bonus check was big enough to make most retail regional managers cough and drool. The best part about my friend...he has zero college education, yet, because of HIS performance at his job, through every slow down in the Oil Industry since 1983, he has never been laid off, has never been reprimanded...and has always taken pride in his work...things most people will not do, now or ever, because this is the "ME" generation's time.

Oh yeah...another thing about my friend...If Schlumberger were to fire him...It will be after the nod from the CEO of the company, then it will be a senior vice-president giving him his walk to the door, not a district manager...nor an HR manager.
I agree that those oil service companies are great companies. But like you pointed out, oil service is not for everyone. Plus if they find out that oil service is not for them and they want to drive Dry Van after, they are going to find out that a lot of companies arent going to count that as experience. I get calls from ex oil service drivers all the time and the only options I have for them are the same training companies I put the newbies at the same pay.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 AM
Board Regular

:!:
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
They have the same ignorant attitude CFM has. They think that it is so easy to get on with a small local carrier. They don't realize that a lot of companies require at least 1 year exp. For them the perfect carrier is a hillbilly that runs a trucking company out of his garage, has 5 or 6 trucks that all old pieces of sh*t, and he pays you under the table. No quallcom, because he can't afford it and the maintainence is the best part you have to fix it yourself.

All you union, day cab drivers are just lazy mother f' ers. You don't have the stones for OTR, and you don't have the stones to stand up for yourselves thats why you pay for a union representation. Do u guys really think the union is going to save your job?? :lol: :lol: Fu*ck the TEAMSTERS
My YOUNG friend... I have not NOW nor will I ever be, a TEAMSTER. You do not see me ragging on every "training" company that is out there. I have worked in the oilfields...when I was a 21 to 31 year old. I started at $1,500 per month, on a 50 hour per week gaurantee. My second year at that company I was given, based on my performance, over $785 dollars a month in raises. I left that job, because I will not work for a Liar. Period. Tell all the tales you want...but do not lie to me or a customer you ask me to work with, about money, time, or conditions. I will bite.

After leaving the oilfield job, I drove OTR for 2 month's, so that I could honestly get a trucking company to sign off on my driving experience...when I could have quite easily gotten a "fly-by-nighter" whom knew nothing about me, other than who my brother in law's father was. That was because in 1986 California had started the CDL program, and in 1987 washington state had not started the switch, and would not issue me a WA Class "A" license with out proof of experience...a signature from a Washington registerd trucking company. Once I had the Washington Class "A", I went to work driving local, hauling gasoline for an oil company, ARCO. I drove for ARCO until August 2003, at which time I voluntarily took lay-off from BP, whom had purchased ARCO in 1999, and did not want to pay truck drivers $26.90 an hour...which is what I made in 2003. For 2 years I tried working with "family" to start a trucking company. It did not work...not for lack of revenue...but for lack of commitment from "others".
From mid 2005 to February of 2007, I worked for a company,the name of which I will not disclose at this time, due to issues. As I said earlier...I will not work for a Liar, as pertains to a job. If you lie to me about money.....I BITE. In this case...I was promised one thing...received another. The local and regional management, felt I was a blowhard, that was all talk and no bite. They no longer feel that way. I documented everything I could, researched everything I could, and investigated everything I could pertaining to wages and working conditions, involved in what I was doing(jobwise), then I wrote 7 letters. One was to the president 7 CEO of the trucking company i worked for. The other letters went to the management people that are above him, in the chain of "corporate command". The local manager for that company, plus 5 other local managers and 3 "Corporate managers" of that company, no longer work at that company, because of the letters I wrote. The allegations I documented were investigated. Managers were "moved" and raises were given, to bring the drivers that remain at that company, up to a wage level that is representative of the "quality" that the "parent" desires from it's drivers.
Today..I own a 2001 International 9400 Eagle. I am leased into Miller Transporters. I can switch companies in 2 month's, without financial penalty, if I so choose.

If you want to tell me a "tale" that is fine, I can live with "trucker story's"..I know the difference.

If I know of a decent company..I am willing to point the way for a "newbie". There are plenty of decent companies, that are not "training" companies, which will hire new drivers. The thing is...that new driver has to prove that he or she is worthy of the job. THAT takes a lot..and most are not willing to prove themselves.

Do you feel I am wrong for lacking compassion, when it comes to "ex-felons", "ex-druggies" and "bad" drivers? Ok..to bad. Myself, I have never commited a crime..I was raised better than that. I have never used drugs...I was raised better, plus I have to much self-respect, to use them. As for bad drivers...there is no excuse for bad driving, especially in this business. I have seen more wrecks that were BS, the last 3 weeks, than I have seen in years. People whom drive down a roadway while laying against a window, with a teeny tiny cell phone shoved into their left or right ear, talking, or watching a movie on their laptop, or surfing a net on their laptop..are BAD drivers. They do not belong out here...yet I see them all the time. 80,000 pounds is big business...look at some of the accidents posted just in the last week on this website.

When you have 30 years safe driving under your belt, like I do....give me a call.

(ok....rant is over)
Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.

My wife and children are so happy that I don't have the stones for OTR. Free medical benefits, home to have a life, pension, pay above and beyond any OTR company. Man, that sounds terrible! Those unions don't do squat for drivers!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

I agree that those oil service companies are great companies. But like you pointed out, oil service is not for everyone. Plus if they find out that oil service is not for them and they want to drive Dry Van after, they are going to find out that a lot of companies arent going to count that as experience. I get calls from ex oil service drivers all the time and the only options I have for them are the same training companies I put the newbies at the same pay.
Mr. Sheep..My point about those comanies, is, that they are all "Career" companies. Get the job, learn the job, do the job, advance with the job.
My best friend has no college education, yet his responsibilities are global. On any given day, he will receive phone calls on his cell from Eygpt, Norway, Columbia, Brazil, Singapore, Russia...or Houston. This week he is preparing to install over $1,000,000 worth of equipment to finish out an install for a rig out of Brazil.
He is doing that because he got the job, he learned the job, he did the job, he kept the job, and he advanced at the job.
If I had been able to stomach management in California in 1987, I would be in similar circumstances(with the same company)...and not even know about this forum !!!