User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

All these companies replacing workers with cheap labor are going to find out their workers were consumers and their will be nobody left to buy their products. Go ahead, ship all the jobs overseas or across the border- I guess you will have to start exporting your goods there because no one here will have jobs except the rich coporate execs. Or have the illegals come here, then you can sell them Chevy Sprints and make less profit instead of Chevy Impala's that a good paid union worker can buy. Roadway and Yellow have been in business for over 75 years and never had a problem paying a livable wage. Why do you guys think the truck driver always has to make the sacrifice.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Hey Sheepdancer,
Did you tour the Com Car Corporate Head Quarters in Auburndale?

If you get to hire for all of their companies that will include CCC, and from what I have been hearing from some friends who still drive for them is that the old man is looking to get out of the business, (just rumours) I know that they have liquidated lots of inventory in the past few years and right after I left them the comapny stopped their 401k match. CCC is also pulling a lot of trailers for JB Hunt in Florida. I enjoyed my time with them and they treated me right so I really have no problem with them. The only thing that some drivers will have difficulty with is the 60mph trucks with CCC and I think the OTR Trucks run at 65MPH, The company safety bonus is based on your eaton vorad readings which I thought was good as I learned how to use it right from school (no bad habits) but older drivers most likely will find it a pain in the ass.
CCC also pays by percentage start at 23% no experience to 26% it can be good or bad depending on your loads..

Timberwolf
Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member

We had a Comcar and MCT guy come here and went by the office of WSE not comcar.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy
Roadway and Yellow have been in business for over 75 years and never had a problem paying a livable wage. Why do you guys think the truck driver always has to make the sacrifice.
The OTR its a lifestyle drivers dont understand that and never will.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Lets change it around, where do you geniuses think a "newbie" who wants to be an OTR driver get their training and work for their first year?
Because really, I dont know of any training companies that dont have tons of negative drivers such as yourself whining about them.
So lets hear it...say you run into a newbie who wants to be an OTR driver, where would you tell him to go?
I usually...smile and tell them to go back home and think about it more-- spend some more time with the family--cus if you go trucking you'll be away from them a lot. Then go with whom ever will PAY for your training-- nothing
worse that racking up a lot of debt on a new venture-- then finding out 6 months later-- it's not for you.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Well, I got to have lunch with a couple of the Comcar and Willis Shaw VPs today. Did a tour of their corporate office and met a few of their drivers who were very happy there. Pay isnt really that high, however they seem to treat their drivers very well. Amazingly, they only have about a 50% turnover rate which is outstanding for an OTR company.
Also it looks like Im going to get to hire for ALL of the Comcar companies. Which sounds great to me...they even have a lot of local jobs for you "I hate OTR" drivers...lol
Live in Northwest Arkansas ah?

Do you do recruiting for:

ComStar?
Pam?
First Fleet?
USA?
PAL?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

Mr. Sheep...contrary to Clugmeister and a few others have to say...I see JBHunt, Schneider National, Knight Transportation, Swift, and yes May Trucking, as good solid "training" companies.
I had to read the whole post, all 3 pages of it. And since you brought me into it, I guess I'll voice my opinion.

At the time I worked for JB, I was not a happy camper. Everyone, including yourself, knows my story.

Since that time, alot of changes has, and still is, taking place over at JB, including JB's phasing out the OTR division of their company, or so is the rumor that I have heard.

So now I look at JB like all of the other McMega Carriers out there....until I go OTR, which is not in my future, I have no comments to spare. Unless it's a lease deal, then I will always say run.

So do me a favor. Unless I throw my .02 cents into a thread, don't drag me into your post in order to make yourself look better.

Thanks.
You can not deny, that in your prior rants against JB, that you weren't just as adamnt in your opinion, as CFM is in his rants about OTR.

I used your "name" because it is so well associated with those rants. Yes...I probably should have used CFM in the same paragraph..but I didn't..and it is history now.

As for making myself look good by using your prior screen name...no..sorry...furthest thing from my mind.

For "new" truck drivers, my opinion still remains the same. JBHunt, Knight Transportation, Schneider National, Swift, May Trucking, Prime, USA Trucking, Heartland Express and several others, all make good "training companies".
A new driver may get lucky and stumble into a driving job that is awesome, right out of the gate, that does not include one of the "trainers", but that is something that is extremely uncommon, and is going to be rarer and rarer as Insurance Companies force their criteria on those companies.

If a person takes notice on the roads, he or she will see new trucks and trailers, bearing the names of major companies, that are starting up their own truck fleets, or are re-estabilishing the fleets they choose to drop in the 90's for "dedicated" fleets, provided by outside companies. They are doing that, in a late attempt to control frieght costs.

I'm wondering how long it will be, before companies such as Dow Chemical, Purina or Proctor & Gamble, re-establish their dropped transportation departments.

As for the companies Sheepdancer is now recruiting for, eveybody whom is breaking into trucking is going to need a company to break in with. This bunch (JBHunt, Knight Transportation, Schneider National, Swift, May Trucking, Prime, USA Trucking, Heartland Express), while having numerous terminals nationwide, do not have terminals in every area, where Sheepdancer may be able to recruit a driver. ComCar is where he may be able to place some of those drivers. The thing every new driver has to do, is learn the job (truck driving). Once they have put in the initial time needed to gain a better "Company" they can and should move on. The quality of employment provided by any one trucking company, is not the cause(good or bad) of any single recruiter.

ComCar is not a company who's door I would walk through, if I ever go back to the "company driver" gig. That is because there are much better companies out there whom I am qualified to work for, whom pay much better than ComCar does. Get a couple more years experience and I might be willing to drop you a name and phone number of someone to talk with... at one of those companies. Of course...you would need to relocate, since none of them operate in the Dallas area. First though you need more experience.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Board Member

I realize that my rants were pretty detrimental as towards my character on the board. However, those past rants are just that. In the past.

I no longer care if drivers go to JB Hunt. I no longer feel the need to warn others. I have a website for that purpose, and even that might be considered no longer valid with the changes taking place.

But I do understand that you were only trying to enhance the other companies, and how they are good beginning companies.

Just please refer to my rants against JB as past rants.

Thanks.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'