User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

so ive read Werner is a horrible company to work for, but so are all the other entry level companies like swift, cr england, jb hunt, etc.

so what entry level company should a rookie start with that has good pay and miles?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by convoykris
so ive read Werner is a horrible company to work for, but so are all the other entry level companies like swift, cr england, jb hunt, etc.

so what entry level company should a rookie start with that has good pay and miles?
The company that you will be best able to tolerate. The company that best fits your particular needs at the moment. Learn all that you can beforehand and use that info to make it work for you. They all suck. I took the CRST 6-month contract route simply because of the short "6 month" offer as opposed to the 12-24 month offers of indentured servitude offered by most other companies. Worked for me. Seven months later I was in my tanker. To stay.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by convoykris

The company that you will be best able to tolerate. The company that best fits your particular needs at the moment. Learn all that you can beforehand and use that info to make it work for you. They all suck. I took the CRST 6-month contract route simply because of the short "6 month" offer as opposed to the 12-24 month offers of indentured servitude offered by most other companies. Worked for me. Seven months later I was in my tanker. To stay.
I agree with belpre122, look for the one that best fits your needs...I know that can be a difficult find.
I went with Werner 6yrs ago, and immediatly found a "niche" within the company that works real well for me...at least for the time. In all honesty Ive never had any real problems with Werner, some days are better than others, and most issues I have had arent unique to Werner, but Truckdriving in general. All and all Ive been satisfied.
Most all on this board know my views about Werner. Its no secret that Werner is known as the "Blue Screw". But I have never experienced this within my division or within the Corporation.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
Just to "chime" in on the "paper logs" aspect of Werner, and to clarify. You only have to do a paper logs during your training, and its done in conjunction with the paperless.
All qualified drivers carry a paperlog in the truck. Its only to be used in the event the qualcom on the truck should fail. Then the paperlog is used till you can be routed to a terminal to have the qualcomm fixed.
Ive been with Werner 6yrs, and 4 trucks, qualcom failed 1 time on my 3rd truck. Had to go with paperlogs for 4 days. It was not an easy transition, couldnt wait for the qualcom to be repaired.
I have my opinions of paperlogs, and there effective usefulness in todays trucks. Paperless logs work very well when the company using them is all geared to there use. Makes dispatch much easier and efficient. IMO.
Seems you are satisfird with Werner. You are the few person who stays at your company
for more than years.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taro View Post
Seems you are satisfird with Werner. You are the few person who stays at your company
for more than years.

Most don't stay years ,they stay a few months ...However Drew10 is on an Office-max dedicated which unlike running non dedicated 48/can or regional the Office-max dedicated pays a good CPM infact if you are lucky enough to live in the hiring area of a DC and had a trainer that was Office-max dedicated ,and get one of these accounts you will be starting at .10 CPM higher than a driver not on this account ,and I from experience pulling these loads can say the account is a bit easier than most freight ...I left Werner at 2.5 yrs in and was at .30 Cpm ,but a ROOKIE just starting off his trainers truck makes .35cpm on O-max dedicated ...plus with all the stop pay you will make 50k a year compared to maybe 30k ...I spoke to a couple rookies at the Las Vegas Office-max DC when I was struggling 2 earn $750.00 gross per wk at .30 CPM ,and these guys were making $1000-1100 gross and had only been there 2 months ...O-max pays better CPM and the very easy multi stop loads earn good stop pay ...My point is comparing DREW10 to the a driver not on a good dedicated run is like comparing Apples to Oranges ,and these positions are given out mostly on a basis of living in a hiring area not senority or proven track record .