Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
What do you mean slow!!!!
As in 63 mph slow...which is a snails pace when it comes to road work. At least that's what they used to castrate those rigs at...ole JB might have tuned em' up by now but I doubt it.

Try to get into their DCS division (Dedicated Contract Service) where you pull for just one customer...such as PPG Industries, Proctor & Gamble, etc. More predictable mileage and alot more trips through the homestead. Just stay away from the retail "Dollar" store type runs, where you lump a floor-loaded 53' in the back of tight strip malls.

JB has been getting away from irregular-route truckload and putting more and more freight on the steel wheels over the years. The common complaints in truckload are lots of short-hauls and sitting around waiting on loads...that's why you see those guys all the time in truckstops, drop-yards, etc twiddling their thumbs for no money.

I've never driven for ole' JB but I've been around the trucking biz for a good while and I've talked to many of their drivers over the years. As a matter of fact, my uncle pulled for JB way back in the day when they had an all cabover fleet after his union gig went under. Needless to say, he didn't last long.

But if JB is what floats your boat, then what the hey...give it a shot. There's certainly worse outfits you can hitch your wagons to.
Wow!! That's like the most positive posting I've ever seen you post about an OTR company. Are you off your meds? :P :lol:

Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Board Member

You know, the best person to talk to about JB Hunt is Sheepdancer. He use to recruit for them, so he can tell you everything you ever want to know.

Once again, good luck. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Wow!! That's like the most positive posting I've ever seen you post about an OTR company. Are you off your meds? :P :lol:
It has to be an imposter........
Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Default ok

I have only talked to one J b Hunt driver and that was years ago that was happy with them. If the drivers that drive for them are so unhappy then why chance it?

Of course there are probably some that are happy and just don't say anything.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 AM

Hey, I drive for JB and I am, suprisingly, happy as HELL. I had to tough it out for about a year with them driving SE Regional, but I finally got on a really good DCS and now I am home EVERY night and EVERY weekend. I dont turn a wheel on Saturday or Sunday, and on some days, like today, I drive for 5 hours and am home by 10:00 am.
I still keep waiting for something terrible to happen,and everything go to hell in a hand basket, but for the last 5 months on the DCS, I just could not be happier.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Damn...where was all this nice talk about JB when I was recruiting for them?????
Now that im not recruiting for them anymore and recruiting for 15 or so other companies, I have to say DONT GO THERE IT SUCKS....Just Kidding.
Really I dont have anything bad to say about them. I did very well there and hired many many drivers who were happy and succeeded. What is said is true. Any company you will get into what you put into it. A possitive attitude helps tremendously. The best advice I can give you is dont sweat the small stuff, get along with your fleet manager, even on the verge of kissing their rear and you will do OK.
For the most part I know some of the changes that have taken place, they did reduce the number of OTR drivers quite a bit. This has translated to more miles for the OTR drivers. They have also expanded their intermodal division quite a bit from what I hear. Those intermodal jobs are great jobs and in the future if you can transfer into one of them, you most likely will love it.
Now with that said....the recruiter in me has to say....if it doesnt work out, shoot me an email and I have tons of jobs for ya.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Damn...where was all this nice talk about JB when I was recruiting for them?????
I would emphatically advise anyone to avoid JB Hunt and the rest of the OTR coolie carriers like the plague. However, if you're a glutton for punishment or have no other options then they may be a step above some of the bottom-feeders out there. But not by very much.

Quote:
they did reduce the number of OTR drivers quite a bit. This has translated to more miles for the OTR drivers.
They reduced OTR drivers for 2 reasons. One is that they are trying to get away from irregular-route OTR truckload. Two is that the economy is teetering on the edge of a recession and there is simply less demand for freight. So I don't see how any of that would translate into more miles.

Quote:
They have also expanded their intermodal division quite a bit from what I hear. Those intermodal jobs are great jobs and in the future if you can transfer into one of them, you most likely will love it.
Well, that's more local-oriented work where you pull containers out of a railhead. Not sure how that's an improvement...would like to know how those guys are paid.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 AM

I talked to my brother in law tonight. He said he would try Crete before going to JB Hunt. That was his input. He drives for Crete but before then he drove JB for 10 years. He isnt the type to speak bad about any body or company, but he loves Crete.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I feel no need to go into an argument about JB with anyone...I DONT WORK FOR THEM ANYMORE. In fact, right now I consider JB the competition, I am competing with them for drivers so have no reason to build them up or lie about them. It would be real easy to be unethical and make up stories about JB to steer the driver that started this thread away from them and recruit them myself. In fact, the way many of you drivers see recruiters like me, you would expect me to talk bad about JB, just so I could take drivers from them. Thats not going to happen and I dont play that way. However, what I said was true, I hired many many drivers who did quite well there and yes, I hired a few that didnt do so well. The funny thing was that I could pretty much predict with great accuracy who would do well and who wouldnt do well when I hired them....JUST BY ATTITUDE. Which is why I said the most important thing in succeeding there is attitude. If you listen to the negativity of any company or any job and you go in there with a negative attitude wondering if you are going to fail...YOU WILL FAIL ALMOST 100% OF THE TIME.
Those who know they will succeed...DO SUCCEED.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Rookie

good things about jb??? from who where in the last decade???