User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

this just popped in my head, why not knock some ice and snow off the trailer...and on top. and then maybe not fill your tanks all the way. maybe you could stay on the interstates and make some ground.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
this just popped in my head, why not knock some ice and snow off the trailer...and on top. and then maybe not fill your tanks all the way. maybe you could stay on the interstates and make some ground.
how about I find a truck wash today( Sunday ) and wash/ melt all of it off- I ran 65mph last night and looks like I blew a large portion of it off the top-
I get as far as I can today( sunday- Scales closed until Virginia) Scale er out again- see just how much weigh came off----- then run the scenic route if needed......3000lbs of snow???? doubtful.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
how about I find a truck wash today( Sunday ) and wash/ melt all of it off- I ran 65mph last night and looks like I blew a large portion of it off the top-
I get as far as I can today( sunday- Scales closed until Virginia) Scale er out again- see just how much weigh came off----- then run the scenic route if needed......3000lbs of snow???? doubtful.
Actually..yeah..you could have that much. 3 weeks ago I loaded at a chem plant in the Danbury CT area. I parked close to the plant the night before...during which there was 8" of snow, then several hours of freezing rain. Empty weight of my truck(fueled) & the style of tank wagon I had hooked up, usually weigh 33,640. When I scaled at 5 am the unit weighed 37,890..and got heavier during the wait at the gate.

The plant backed me into a warehouse and cranked up the heat to thaw the ice and snow off. At re-weigh MT, I was 33,780.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Actually..yeah..you could have that much. 3 weeks ago I loaded at a chem plant in the Danbury CT area. I parked close to the plant the night before...during which there was 8" of snow, then several hours of freezing rain. Empty weight of my truck(fueled) & the style of tank wagon I had hooked up, usually weigh 33,640. When I scaled at 5 am the unit weighed 37,890..and got heavier during the wait at the gate.

The plant backed me into a warehouse and cranked up the heat to thaw the ice and snow off. At re-weigh MT, I was 33,780.

Update:

I rescaled today at Sturbridge, Ma

Fuel burnt off down to 5/8 tank--- so I figure I've burnt about 475lbs fuel since last scale.

Then new numbers are:

so about 2200 pounds went "somewhere"--- man was I surprised--in a good way. I was thinking 800lbs worth of snow--maybe.....WOW!

Wonder if there's some numbers some where--- like what average weight of a cubic foot of snow?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I see your following Cretes Safe and Legal guidelines............. :shock:
Old 03-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
I see your following Cretes Safe and Legal guidelines............. :shock:
He is with Shaffer.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

I thought they were one and the same now???
Old 03-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Senior Board Member

hey, I called and reported it to Crete Night dispatch--- and of course was told-- to "use my own" judgement---- they don't have the power on the weekend to CUT freight from a load--- and the customer wasn't gonna reload it until monday morning--- I am running it. Business as Usual.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Week # 9:

Well we started this week off finishing up 194 miles to final stop in Lewiston, Me.

Then we got a lovely load of paper bound for Macon, Ga

1317 LD miles 70 DH

the load started out 3,000 lbs over gross, and by the time I made Carlisle,Pa
was down to only 500lbs over gross.
Having to dodge scales cost me TIME in transiting -- couldn't make the 2pm cut-off receiving Tuesday so....got to set for 2 days until Friday.

So, Total Miles for Week#9 -- 1581
Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Week# 10;

Well, March 12th I have a dentist appointment. March 12th will also be day 21(3 weeks out this time) I'll be home tomorrow(knock on wood) Sunday after I get empty and bounce 112 miles.

Trip#1:

Macon, Ga- Russellville, AL deadhead= 339 miles

Russellville, AL- Memphis, TN to drop= 164 miles

Fun thing, seriously considering/ even placed my 2nd application in at Poly Trucking( still waiting on that call)....after the load from Maine(Hell).
In several previous posts I stated I was very pleased with Shaffer's freight- than in 3 years I had never- not once- had a load of fresh 'chicken' guts or had to wash out a stinking trailer that had blood & gutts from hauling said. Well, this is what I just picked up in Russellville, AL fortunately I dropped it in Memphis-- but, is this a bad sign? of future things to come? has the ecomomy gotten so bad-- or is this the new Shaffer freight I can look forward too if I stay? Where is the Easter candy? where was the Valentine's Day Candy?

when I arrive at Memphis drop lot-- I find the perfect load that's a win-win and end up running up to Bentonville, Ar
load#2
Memphis, Tn- Bentonville, Ar LM= 343

So, running total before hometime this week= 846

If I can swing another 800 Thursday-Friday-- might have a 1600 total - 4 days home. Maybe, I can get the dentist appointment moved up too.