User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
I have never turned anything down and believe me I have been to the not so desirable places of NYC, CHI, PHL, LA and remote places fit neither for man or truck.

I wonder how the new logging is going to effect our drivers. I generally keep mine kosher, and generally will become always. We have all had to stretch it a bit to make a PU/DEL - I guess those days are gone. But I know, and every company has them, a percentage of drivers that fill out their logs once or twice a week - whether they need to or not.

It is a quantum leap to go from matching a fuel receipt (some drivers have a hard time with that!) to 100% accuracy. It'll be interesting to how it shakes out.
Geargrinder, sorry I wasn't inferring you as one of those individuals. My sincere apologies. As to logging, I've wondered that myself. Especially since I know other drivers (myself included) who will drive to the destination the night before and sleep there. I'm sure you follow how the rest of this story goes.... Guess a lot of us will simply be screwing up our ten hour break and trying to do split-logging if we don't arrive early enough to get a full ten break before unloading. Either that or, we'll be getting up much earlier to make on-time pick-up/delivery and also cutting into our 14-hour rule, possibly affecting our subsequent reload. Oh well, they want to trim the fat and make sure we're all playing by the rules. Fine by me, but I do see this causing more drivers to depart, especially as what we've discussed about how certain aspects of accessory pay is getting toyed with. All about saving that $$$!

Quote:
Will this apply to the owner operators as well? I have seen guys do things on dedicated runs that can't be done legally. I bet if they are real strict we will see some driver turnover. It sucks to shut down 60 miles from home but you do what you have to do. I wonder how deep they will go into the geoLogic data. Just where you are in relation to logs or flag anytime your speed exceeds 65 mph.
Rob, yes it will apply to every driver here. They're covering everyone with this. It looks like those tight runs will have to be rescheduled to a more reasonable dispatch. Thankfully I can say that all of the runs I do out of Westville are easily done by the book, and damn how I hope to be running those again soon! But you are very correct in saying that you'll see driver turnover, and I am willing to bet A LOT! As for shutting down sixty miles from home... Yep, it sucks bad but I've always made it a point to bring that up that it screwed me out of starting time off when I supposed to, and I simply get an extra day to account for my trouble. Then again I always stay calm and professional with dispatch when dealing with touchy situations, though we've probably all seen cases where it was completely opposite :argue:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob View Post
Will this apply to the owner operators as well? I have seen guys do things on dedicated runs that can't be done legally. I bet if they are real strict we will see some driver turnover. It sucks to shut down 60 miles from home but you do what you have to do. I wonder how deep they will go into the geoLogic data. Just where you are in relation to logs or flag anytime your speed exceeds 65 mph.
You're going to find that **** is going to come to a stop real quick.....unless that O/O does not have a OBC on board....as of May 11, 2009 the DOT is going to use the OBC data in auditing drivers logs......so anyone stupid enough to play games will end up burnt to the ground if they play "junior-chicken-hauler"...... This information is posted on bulletin boards in the terminals I have been in lately.....

Do it legal.....of forget it!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

For those of you who pay attention to this thread:

1. The DOT can access PrePass info, they can access EasyPass info, the can access Comdata info.....and they can run your logbook against a program like PC Miler.....so don't waste your time "bull****ting" yourself about how "stupid" the DOT is......one helluva a lot of them are "former" professional drivers"..... and believe it or not...they don't wear tinfoil hats....

DO IT RIGHT, OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 05-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post

1. The DOT can access PrePass info, they can access EasyPass info, the can access Comdata info.....and they can run your logbook against a program like PC Miler.....so don't waste your time "bull****ting" yourself about how "stupid" the DOT is......one helluva a lot of them are "former" professional drivers"..... and believe it or not...they don't wear tinfoil hats....

EXACTLY!!! :clap:

Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
EXACTLY!!! :clap:
:smokin: We be hangin' at duh motel fo' Karns City....did y'all get my reply fo' duh voice mail vis a vis Balto?

Whoooop, duh, whoooop.............whooooop?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:

DOT can access PrePass records, but PrePass doesn't timestamp - it just records the date. Which really doesn't matter becuz the "Eye in the Sky" tells them EVERYTHING. I'm not sure a 12-gauge shot gun to the "bubble" will kill the thing.

It's a whole new BALLGAME.

I have been in this racket less than 5-years. So I kind of cut my gears doing it legal.

But to paraphrase Otter, "The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests (log books) - we did. ....
Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
:smokin: We be hangin' at duh motel fo' Karns City....did y'all get my reply fo' duh voice mail vis a vis Balto?

Whoooop, duh, whoooop.............whooooop?
Karns Motel? What did they open up the bunks downstairs, or let you pitch a tent out back? KC could stand to upgrade a bit. To their credit, they are about the only terminal that has towel service.

No if they had a water source besides the sink next to the urinal. Kind of yucky.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
.....but PrePass doesn't time stamp - it just records the date.
Actually they do time stamp. When I was running my own personal PrePass at Aartman and again here as an I/C there were several times I had to call PrePass to straighten issues out and ask questions, and they were able to confirm with me exactly when I had rolled over the road sensors and/or passed by the pole-mounted transponder by time and date. Same applies to my Norpass.

If they (D.O.T.) want to obtain the info bad enough for whatever reason they will get it. 'Nuff said!

Speaking of good old Karns City, PA, I'll be up there myself later tonight to grab a load in the a.m. since Baltimore has nothing. And as usual, Grandpa is running away since he left out earlier today. Getting scared of those 3" hose overhead presses aren't ya! We can always just grab a wheel like back at Garden City in the early days and do that since it's a lot lighter... :crossbones: :moon: :rofl:

Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
DOT can access PrePass records, but PrePass doesn't timestamp - it just records the date. Which really doesn't matter becuz the "Eye in the Sky" tells them EVERYTHING.
Unless PrePass changed their invoice format....it not only shows the date, but the hour and minute as well. When I paid for my own....each and every use of the transponder was shown on the invoice, as well as the location.

Quote:
It's a whole new BALLGAME.
Yep it is....

Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Karns Motel? What did they open up the bunks downstairs, or let you pitch a tent out back?
Actually...the motel is down in Butler...about 13 miles away. Not a bad motel either!

Quote:
KC could stand to upgrade a bit. To their credit, they are about the only terminal that has towel service.
Towels are nice.....but I wish the freakin' satellite TV was working....and the wi-fi router seems to linked to a phone line that is slower than dry concrete.....

Quote:
No if they had a water source besides the sink next to the urinal. Kind of yucky.
That is true....

Just remember....don't go after anything moving around the yard in the dark.....it could be a bear, as in the "four legged kind"....