User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Good day yesterday. Went down to Winder, Ga for an interview with Groendyke Transport and got hired. Only knew about the position thanks to a tip from an ex-Superior driver who has been there for about 6 months now. Should start around the 15th of this month when the driver I'm replacing gets transferred to another terminal...go back down the 11th or 12th for a physical, pee test, etc.

Paywise, some things better, some things less, but, overall, should even out to what I made at Superior; the friend who works there has made 19K to the end of april and has been home every weekend lately as things are so slow. I didn't ask about insurance as I'm on my wife's full-coverage policy from where she works and I know we can't get what we have any cheaper through anyone else.

Heavy traffic lanes out of Winder to the upper Midwest and straight back down South again which is what I like to do anyway; when things are running normal 7-10 days out is the norm with more if you want it. One way commute of 148 miles which is only about 30 miles more than going to Kingsport was and, as long as there's no snow or ice, I'll be on my bike so gas is a non-issue for me.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.

Pete C

Way to go Pete. One thing I always notice about Groendyke is the condition of their trailers. They are simply immaculate.

Congratulations - Your May Day was answered:clap:
Old 05-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Rookie

Congrats on the new job Pete. I like the idea of riding your bike and I am going to do the same on my drive to Chattanooga. Glad to hear you got something. Good luck to ya.:clap:
Old 05-03-2009, 02:24 PM

Congrats Pete, Goodluck to ya!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 AM

So I went to a somewhat local (about 35mins away) concrete company looking for a driver or two for mixers. Luckily my mom had caught the brand new listing on a Maine classifieds site. I went in, filled out my app. Brought it upstairs and ran into the whole family. Owned and operated by family, VERY nice people. Met the father, after a few minutes of reviewing my app he asked if I had time for a road test. Took me by surprise, definately wasnt prepared but I wasnt going to say no. So he grabbed his son and he checked my app and next thing you know were in a truck. Sterling with a 380 Benz and I think its an 8 speed, Eaton Fuller. I get super nervous when people drive with me, but I drove that sucker like a champ. Up and down gears like ive driven it before, think he was pretty happy about that (I impressed myself also). So we get back, I park the truck and we go back into the office. He runs in and talks with his dad for a few minutes, comes out and says "Wed like to offer you a job." I bout **** myself. Im stoked to say the least.

So I gotta go take my pee test tomorrow and they want me to start monday w00t! I guess being laid off from Superior was a blessing in diguise. I originally went to school for my B because I wanted to do this kind of work. I ended up getting my A to cover my bases and tractor-trailers were all I could get into at the time, but this is really my kind of work.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCavi View Post
So I went to a somewhat local (about 35mins away) concrete company looking for a driver or two for mixers. Luckily my mom had caught the brand new listing on a Maine classifieds site. I went in, filled out my app. Brought it upstairs and ran into the whole family. Owned and operated by family, VERY nice people. Met the father, after a few minutes of reviewing my app he asked if I had time for a road test. Took me by surprise, definately wasnt prepared but I wasnt going to say no. So he grabbed his son and he checked my app and next thing you know were in a truck. Sterling with a 380 Benz and I think its an 8 speed, Eaton Fuller. I get super nervous when people drive with me, but I drove that sucker like a champ. Up and down gears like ive driven it before, think he was pretty happy about that (I impressed myself also). So we get back, I park the truck and we go back into the office. He runs in and talks with his dad for a few minutes, comes out and says "Wed like to offer you a job." I bout **** myself. Im stoked to say the least.

So I gotta go take my pee test tomorrow and they want me to start monday w00t! I guess being laid off from Superior was a blessing in diguise. I originally went to school for my B because I wanted to do this kind of work. I ended up getting my A to cover my bases and tractor-trailers were all I could get into at the time, but this is really my kind of work.

Cool. Hope they are busier than Superior up there in Main.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCavi View Post

Good news man glad to hear it worked out for you. I just left a concrete company here where I live just no work right now. Concrete trucks are a cool job just be careful in turns and watch how sideling you go and you will be cool. A low slump load and a slight lean to the left and over you go so watch out for that. also right turns are worse then left when you are loaded due to concrete riding up left side of drum as it is rotating. All this info is for a rear discharge unit, front discharge is a little differant. Mine was out the back. Good luck to you.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicksie View Post
Good news man glad to hear it worked out for you. I just left a concrete company here where I live just no work right now. Concrete trucks are a cool job just be careful in turns and watch how sideling you go and you will be cool. A low slump load and a slight lean to the left and over you go so watch out for that. also right turns are worse then left when you are loaded due to concrete riding up left side of drum as it is rotating. All this info is for a rear discharge unit, front discharge is a little differant. Mine was out the back. Good luck to you.
Cool man, thanks for the heads up. Yea these are rear unloads. I guess last year was the first year they had to lay off over the winter, but they dont lay off on seniority. They base it on productivity. So ill bust balls and see what happens.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Pete and DDCavi

Congrats to both of you finding other stuff so quickly! Good luck with your new ventures and don't be a stranger.

As I told Geargrinder in another post.....

I'll admit that we're keeping steady at Kankakee but nothing near as good as it could be or rather was a few months ago. Though lately here they've been keeping me busy doing local deliveries next door at Cognis if nothing else is available. But it would be nice to get back out to the open road again soon on a consistent basis. Though allow me to say this, if things keep going downhill I'll be back to the old routine quickly. Believe me when I say I don't want to, but if that's what it takes then I will do what I must. I love time off and all, but I love making $$$ too! And then add in that I do have family to take care of....

It really sucks when I personally know of three individuals (two are very close friends) who are all still plugging away, business as usual with one particular cheap, Florida-based company (and yes, one of the options I have open to me). All are averaging consistent 3,000+ miles a week. Two run primarily short to medium length Midwest milk loads while the third runs the long-distance stuff just as I did at Aartman years ago. Also, all three are very seasoned, experienced drivers who take the bad with the good, they go where the freight goes, and don't b**** and moan when something doesn't go their way, with the exception of ensuring that they get theirdue time off at home.

Now in regards to that aspect of the "game" in food-grade (concerning complaining over what loads you get and where they go), it's a chitty thing to do, but the whiners and complainers always end up getting forced out the door. Usually it's after either getting the worst loads available and/or, going somewhere and then sitting a few days with "no freight available". The f***ed up thing about it, though sometimes in a strange funny way, is that is that will happen in a place where the driver is generally aware there's loads at. And then worse, to see your company's and other food-grade companies trucks rolling in and out like clockwork! :eek2: And then knowing that getting deadheaded 1,000+ miles for a load is common doing that stuff and it doesn't take long to figure out that you have made someone mad! Saw that happen to several drivers back when I was with Indian River, but strangely enough not with Aartman (CA).

Anyway, back to the land of Superior Carriers... What's funny is that with as many drivers we seem to have on the verge of leaving here because of little to no work, I still run across knuckleheads that will complain about getting a load all because it's going to a less-than-desirable destination! Hell I say give it to the guy who will be thankful to get it and not gripe!!! If someone doesn't wanna take a load somewhere because of the destination then fine, send their sorry azz home and stay put a few days and see how much stuff gets paid then. There's too many drivers who would be more than happy to cover that load I'm sure...

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."

Last edited by Cyanide; 05-09-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
Pete and DDCavi

Anyway, back to the land of Superior Carriers... What's funny is that with as many drivers we seem to have on the verge of leaving here because of little to no work, I still run across knuckleheads that will complain about getting a load all because it's going to a less-than-desirable destination! Hell I say give it to the guy who will be thankful to get it and not gripe!!! If someone doesn't wanna take a load somewhere because of the destination then fine, send their sorry azz home and stay put a few days and see how much stuff gets paid then. There's too many drivers who would be more than happy to cover that load I'm sure...

I have never turned anything down and believe me I have been to the not so desirable places of NYC, CHI, PHL, LA and remote places fit neither for man or truck.

I wonder how the new logging is going to effect our drivers. I generally keep mine kosher, and generally will become always. We have all had to stretch it a bit to make a PU/DEL - I guess those days are gone. But I know, and every company has them, a percentage of drivers that fill out their logs once or twice a week - whether they need to or not.

It is a quantum leap to go from matching a fuel receipt (some drivers have a hard time with that!) to 100% accuracy. It'll be interesting to how it shakes out.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
I have never turned anything down and believe me I have been to the not so desirable places of NYC, CHI, PHL, LA and remote places fit neither for man or truck.

I wonder how the new logging is going to effect our drivers. I generally keep mine kosher, and generally will become always. We have all had to stretch it a bit to make a PU/DEL - I guess those days are gone. But I know, and every company has them, a percentage of drivers that fill out their logs once or twice a week - whether they need to or not.

It is a quantum leap to go from matching a fuel receipt (some drivers have a hard time with that!) to 100% accuracy. It'll be interesting to how it shakes out.

Will this apply to the owner operators as well? I have seen guys do things on dedicated runs that can't be done legally. I bet if they are real strict we will see some driver turnover. It sucks to shut down 60 miles from home but you do what you have to do. I wonder how deep they will go into the geoLogic data. Just where you are in relation to logs or flag anytime your speed exceeds 65 mph.