User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
If I don't need a placards I will rip em off with my teeth. I run across OH a lot. Superior sez we don't need to stop with the green, the sign at the scale sez we do. I follow what the sign sez. I turned down hot placards a couple weeks ago cuz the crap was 210 and not 212. Not ripping you, but complacency and dedicated go hand in hand.
You do not need to stop at the scales in OH if you get a green light on pre pass hauling Hazmat if you have the Uniform Hazmat paper in your permit book.

http://www.prepass.com/aboutus/News/Documents/Mar08.pdf

Old 07-11-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
Phreddo wrote:

:lol2: :rofl: :thumbsdown:

Can be any of these three trucks, and in any of these three colors (they also have burgundy and silver).

pd wrote:

Thanks Phil! Well, not going to post who I go with for a long, long time but I can say that from all of the info I've gathered it should work out very well for me, and I should be in the same position or better concerning income and time off as I was when I ran Westville Dedicated back and forth to 'Bama...

Carlo, good luck. I think i read one of your post a couple years ago and decided to give Superior a try. It's an excellent company for the guys who came on right out of school. But after a while it becomes readily apparent that it is a seniority game for who gets what.

I could rag all day about this mess of a company. But all I will say is that when the economy turns, and it will, that Superior is going to be left with a bunch of grossly overweight steering wheel holders that can't climb the ladder to do a proper pre-trip. A seniority system blows!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
You do not need to stop at the scales in OH if you get a green light on pre pass hauling Hazmat if you have the Uniform Hazmat paper in your permit book.

http://www.prepass.com/aboutus/News/Documents/Mar08.pdf
I am sure you are an expert, maybe even a lawyer (or a doctor - all drivers have some elegant past they gave up to do this thankless job) - but until the sign sez "all placarded vehicles stop - EXCEPT .................." I will stop, or take the scenic route. A few months ago an OH State Trooper, told be yes stop, then the geniuses at Superior issue a memo - no don't stop.

Frankly, I'm not interested in a legal debate with the fuzz.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I am sure you are an expert, maybe even a lawyer (or a doctor - all drivers have some elegant past they gave up to do this thankless job)
Never said I was an expert, I just stated the facts and provided a link, you can do with it what you want.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
If I don't need a placards I will rip em off with my teeth. I run across OH a lot. Superior sez we don't need to stop with the green, the sign at the scale sez we do. I follow what the sign sez. I turned down hot placards a couple weeks ago cuz the crap was 210 and not 212. Not ripping you, but complacency and dedicated go hand in hand.

I follow the sign as well but I don't rip placards off trailers. That's for the tank wash boys to do. I sure wouldn't want to explain to Mr DOT man why my bill of laden says "elevated temperature liquid" and I don't have a HOT placard up there. I am pretty sure he will not believe that a "lazy truck driver" took the time to take them down and will assume that I ran the entire load without them.

In the case of my dedicated trailer that would have been the worse thing I could have done since those Hot placards also have the UN number on them and all that info was on the bills. I would have actually deserved a ticket had I removed them.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob View Post
I follow the sign as well but I don't rip placards off trailers. That's for the tank wash boys to do. I sure wouldn't want to explain to Mr DOT man why my bill of laden says "elevated temperature liquid" and I don't have a HOT placard up there. I am pretty sure he will not believe that a "lazy truck driver" took the time to take them down and will assume that I ran the entire load without them.

In the case of my dedicated trailer that would have been the worse thing I could have done since those Hot placards also have the UN number on them and all that info was on the bills. I would have actually deserved a ticket had I removed them.
Once MT it's no longer an elevated temperature material - there is no residual heat. It no longer meets the definition of 171.8. U can leave the placard(s) on or remove - your choice.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Never said I was an expert, I just stated the facts and provided a link, you can do with it what you want.
I apologize for the jerk wad response.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Once MT it's no longer an elevated temperature material - there is no residual heat. It no longer meets the definition of 171.8. U can leave the placard(s) on or remove - your choice.

But it still has to have the UN number on the tank right? I can see your point if the only identifying item on the placard identifies temperature. In this case it also identified the chemical on the Hot placard. Look at the picture again. I think you are asking for trouble if you remove it. Like you said to another poster, you don't want to argue law with DOT on the side of the road.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob View Post
But it still has to have the UN number on the tank right? I can see your point if the only identifying item on the placard identifies temperature. In this case it also identified the chemical on the Hot placard. Look at the picture again. I think you are asking for trouble if you remove it. Like you said to another poster, you don't want to argue law with DOT on the side of the road.
I do appear a bit ambiguous! The UN3257 is your basically liquid (no other hazardous properties - could be water, or any other non-haz liquid) shipped at 100C or above. Once MT, no hazard. I remove the placards so I don't need to follow HAZMAT routing, stopping at RR Tracks, etc.

Presumably, you wouldn't have been stopped for a HAZMAT inspection if you weren't placarded. NJ is great for waiving everyone through but trucks with placards.

Seems leaving the placards is just a convenience thing because the trailer is dedicated and never gets cleaned. Anyone else care to chime in?

Carlo must have bolted us, and this thread is dying without him!

Been busy, but can't seem to get any runs that let me stretch my legs. Plus, summer is half over and all I have done is work - not good.

I see Sirius (and I guess XM) is raising the rates $1.98 per month for US Music Royalty Fee. I'll dump them when my contract expires in October. The stuff I like to listen to drives me nutz with the endless Chet Holmes and Prolixux commercials and the music channels are cycling like Headline News.

Good day, from a not so Superior driver.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Wink

Quote:
Carlo must have bolted us, and this thread is dying without him!

Been busy, but can't seem to get any runs that let me stretch my legs. Plus, summer is half over and all I have done is work - not good.....
I didn't bolt on y'all just have been busy since my most recent post. Aw heck, you guys will keep this thing going in my absence I'm sure! Yesterday however, was officially my last day and I'm curious as to how long before that old truck I was in is stripped of parts and markings, numbers, logos, etc.

Can't say I finished up on a bad note, as the last couple of weeks went very well. I went from Kankakee to CT, bounced to MA and spent a day in the shop, then bounced to NJ and load for MO, bounced back to IL, then grabbed my final load out-and-back from Chicago to ONT, CAN.

When I post my final numbers many are going to think I was nuts for leaving, but there's always another side to the story that isn't seen. Though I haven't exactly been quiet about things I considered issues, as well as other unspoken items. Just goes w/o saying that I still hold to my opinion that I don't care how well a job pays, if I'm not happy doing it then it isn't worth the hassle and grief.

More later, I need to finish packing up...

:thumbsup:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."