User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just got off the phone with a Maverick recruiter, (Tim), and he said the drivers are out 2-3 weeks at time. I haven't heard that reading on here is that true? I know things get slow in the winter but it's not winter yet. I know the housing market is slow but is it that slow. I really want to drive for them but don't really want to stay out that long. Anybody out there experiencing this? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt
Just got off the phone with a Maverick recruiter, (Tim), and he said the drivers are out 2-3 weeks at time. I haven't heard that reading on here is that true? I know things get slow in the winter but it's not winter yet. I know the housing market is slow but is it that slow. I really want to drive for them but don't really want to stay out that long. Anybody out there experiencing this? Thanks for any help.
The web site for Maverick says 97% of drivers home on the weekend.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah I know. I just wanted to hear from somebody who is actually working for them right now. I was just wondering because I have never heard anything bad about them, with the exception of a guy who pulled in their glass division, but other than that everybody says they get home on the weekends and alot on friday or get home Sat and leave on Mon. Anyway, just trying to get the straight poop. Thanx
Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Board Regular

I'm on the Maverick waiting list now and really hope to get called next week. The home every weekend deal sounds really good, but I also hope that sometimes I can ask to not get home every 3-4 weekends. 3 weekends home per month is good for me and the wife sometimes.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I talked to another recruiter today and was told the same thing about home time, 2-3wks, because of where I live, OKC. I just can't do that but I expressed how much I appreciated them being honest with me. Oh well. I really wanted to work for them but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Here is how the rest of the week went in training.

October 22, 2007, Monday

We did 2 trip planning log exercises and then waited our turn to go out and do the backing test in a truck. They set up a mini course and we did a sight side parallel, a 45 and 90 degree back, and a tight right turn. Yours truly found out how different/difficult it is to maneuver a spread axle flatbed trailer. Multiple pull ups were ok and hitting a cone was an absolute no-no.

October 23, 2007, Tuesday

We went into the wash bay, because it was raining, and helped a driver resecure (and retarp) a coil load that was done incorrectly. Then we spent the rest of the day in the securement barn doing coils and tarping them.

October 24, 2007, Wednesday

We stayed in the securement barn until 5:00pm and then we all got in a van and drove to Fort Smith, Arkansas. The Ramada Inn in Fort Smith is an old fairly run down motel. I guess we all got spoiled in the Little Rock Galloway Inn since it was so new and nice. I should mention that this Ramada does have wireless internet and it is a much faster connection than the Galloway.

October 25, 2007, Thursday

We worked with Tery at the Maverick terminal in Fort Smith, AR all day securing shiny bar and tarping it. It was very educational and Tery is quite the colorful character. He is very good at conveying his knowledge to people and I certainly feel lucky to have had such a good teacher.

October 26, 2007, Friday

It was another day of securing loads and tarping but this time we did mostly real loads. Tery let us go at 1:00pm and we drove back to Little Rock. My trainer called me right as we drove into town and said he would not get into the terminal to pick me up until later in the week. That meant I would have to hang around and help other trainees practice securing and tarping in the barn. As we kept talking he said if I could get to his hometown, which is in Texas, I could leave out on Sunday with him heading for Houston. I ask Eugene in the training department and he said go! I hopped in my pickup truck and headed for the house and I will meet him Sunday night.

October 27, 2007, Saturday

Day off.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 AM

HI

Im surprised there is no threads about Maverick pay. Just how much are new drivers earning? Especially with the slowdown in construction and winter coming thats something to keep in mind.

thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Rookie

Well it has been a great 1st week with my trainer. We have hauled sheetrock, sewer pipe, and two different loads of gray bar (steel). We have been in warm (i.e. t-shirt) weather in Texas to near freezing weather in Wisconsin (i.e. heavy coat). It is almost eerie how smooth everything has gone all week (knock on wood). Problems have been minimal as far as wait times (loading and unloading), weather, traffic, etc. Here are a few pictures of the truck with our loads (the skinny guy in the photo’s is me).

[img]
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er001small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er003small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er004small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er008small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er010small.jpg
[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Board Regular

Those sewer pipes look eerily familiar to the ones I've been installing all summer up here in PA for the Municipal Authority I work for. :mrgreen:
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Hey cruzncoyote, glad it's working out for ya. I have a couple of questions, that's kinda risky driving a big rig onto a grass field isn't it? Weren't you guys concerned about the chance of getting stuck? When you get into that type of situation, could you refuse to drive onto the field and have them unload you from the side of the street? BOL. Thanks.