User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

MX302dad

Since I was self-employed the last ten years, the only thing Maverick specifically requested from me was proof of self-employment. I sent them 5 years of company tax returns.

They did not require school or refresher courses. I have a feeling they did not require this because they were able to check on my driving experience with 2 of the 3 companies I worked for in the mid ‘90’s. One of the companies is out of business because Dick Simon Trucking bought them. The other two are still viable and I called them personally and talked to both to be sure they had a record on me. Also my MVR and everything else they might check on is perfectly clean.

As a side note in my preparation to driving again, I have been refreshing my knowledge on trucks and trucking by reading and taking the on line test you can use for practice when you are in the process of getting your CDL. I personally have found that I have forgotten very little and the biggest change in regulations is the new HOS rules.

Here is a link to some practice tests if you want to try.

http://www.testprepreview.com/cdllinks.htm

I do know that my knowledge is lacking in securing flat bed loads. I did drive a flat bed 10 years ago but the loads were sod, so the securement was the same on every load. Maverick has their school to teach all drivers their way of securing loads (and tarping). I am sure I will go out with a trainer for some amount of weeks to get day-to-day flat bed experience. This surly must be a requirement because from my understanding (and from common sense) there is no way Mavericks school could teach securing loads in every situation.

Hope this helps out and good luck to you if you decide to jump back into trucking. All my studying and research (and most people on this board) say Maverick is one of the top-notch companies to work for if you desire long haul flat bed.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Rookie

cruzncoyote,
I appreciate the info. I've been contemplating getting back into trucking for a few months, and from the research that I've done it seems that CFI and Maverick are 2 of the best (plus Maverick tries to get their drivers home on the weekend).
Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Well, darn it. I was hoping for the best, but I did not get the call to go to orientation this week. My recruiter told me it would be a 2-week wait from the time they processed my application. It took a week to process the application, so it has been exactly 3 weeks today that I started this hiring process with Maverick.

Now, if I understood correctly from my recruiter, Maverick tends to hire drivers by state based on the amount of drivers already employed at the moment from that state. It seems there is a lot of drivers from Texas right now already working in Mavericks long haul division. Therefore, I must wait possibly another 2 weeks before I might get the call (sigh).

One beneficial side note: Sometimes drivers commit to go to orientation and then have to cancel. If a spot opens up, your recruiter might call you and ask if you want the vacated spot. Well, if I get one of those calls, I am there in a quick 5-hour drive to Little Rock (I am already packed, lol). I wish everybody that is waiting (like me) good luck. Wish me luck too!

I will stay in touch. See ya’.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Rookie

YIPPEE!!!

I got the call and I am out the door this morning heading for Little Rock. My recruiter had a driver cancel so a spot opened up and I was the lucky one to get it. It has been exactly 4 weeks and 1 day since I faxed in all my paper work to Maverick. I will try to do my best to let everyone know how it goes and I will give you blow by blow of the process.

What did the recruiter tell me in that phone conversation? Well, there were some interesting things. The 1-week orientation pays $550 and they are giving me a $500 sign on bonus. A cancelled check is needed if you want direct deposit to your bank account. Bring your social security card and cdl license. I was writing notes as fast as I could and may have forgotten some minor items but among other things my notes have: long sleeve shirt, work boots, atlas, alarm clock, 25’ tape measure, calculator, bedding (blankets, etc.) CB (they install it and provide antennas).

I was also told that you could wear shorts but no cutoffs. There needs to be a cuff or hemmed seam. No tank tops and no negative or derogatory sayings on t-shirts. Facial hair must be neatly trimmed and no ponytails or hoop earrings. Drivers are expected to be bathed and wear clean clothes. Stinky bodies are frowned on (thank god).

They will get you to Little Rock by bus or reimburse you the amount of the bus ticket if you choose to rent a car or drive your own vehicle. My bus ticket from Dallas cost $78 one-way and it is 300 miles. I am going to drive my own pickup, which will most likely end up being left there until I can get a weekend break to get it back home.

I was told Maverick tries real hard to schedule a trainer for each driver that comes in to orientation so there should be little or no down time waiting on a trainer.

Here is a list I found of items to take with you. I found this on Rachelle’s drivers site in “Drivers ABC’s-Surviving the First Year”. I have added a few items at the end as noted. Hope this helps out. It sure helps me for sure.

What To Take With You
From: Rachelle in “Driver’s ABC’s-Surviving the First Year”

This is a very complete and thorough list of things to take with you. You may not be able to actually take this much while with a trainer, as space may not allow it, and it may not be applicable to you if you’re only going to be out a couple of days at a time.

Nonetheless, it is very expensive to have to buy things on the road when you probably can buy them at Wal-Mart for half the price. As you prepare to go on the road, make notes on this list and circle what you feel you need to have. A Note of Caution: relying on your memory when it comes to packing is not a good idea! Unfortunately, though, the Murphy’s Law of these matters is that no matter what, you’ll forget something!
· Refrigerator/Cooler
· Microwave
· Pillow
· Blanket / Bed sheets / Sleeping bag
· Clothes bag or suitcase
· Shower Room Bag
· Dirty clothes bag
· One week’s worth of clothes (depending)
· Coat/jacket & rain jacket
· 2 pair of shoes
Note: If you’re going OTR, you need to consider that you will be in all kinds of different climates. One day you could be in sunny Los Angeles and the next day you may be in wintry Wyoming. Pack a variety of clothes and use the layering approach. You can bring just 2-3 thermal shirts and trade off between them but have 6-7 long sleeve/short sleeve shirts and wear a clean one each day.

Basics
· Hangers
· Defense Spray
· Compass
· CB Radio and Antenna(s)
· Weather Radio
· TV/VCR
· Music / Tapes
· Briefcase / bag to keep paperwork in.
Paperwork Related Items
· Motor Carrier’s Atlas (it is very important to have a MOTOR CARRIER’S Atlas. There is info in it that cannot be found in a basic atlas.)
· Magnifying glass (you can’t believe how hard it can be to read an atlas late at night in the cab of a truck)
· Pens, notepaper, notepad, organizer
· Calculator
· Log book ruler
· Mini cassette recorder (these are excellent to record mileage at state lines, to record directions when you’re getting them by CB radio and to record any other thoughts and reminders to yourself.)
· Truck stop guide/directory
· A list of important phone numbers (Calling information from the road is expensive - bring all phone numbers with you that you think you might call.)
· ATM card
· 800 # to call home
· Calling card to make business calls
Miscellaneous
· Alarm clock, wind up, battery powered or cigarette plug in -- just so long as it wakes you up!
· Camera and film
· Spare pair of shoes
· Hat
· Books/Magazines
· Paper towels and glass cleaner
· Gloves
· Batteries
· Sunglasses
· Pain reliever(s) -- (Excedrin, Tylenol, etc but nothing with alcohol in it!)
A Few Tools
· Adjustable wrench
· Bungee cords/tarp straps
· Glad-hand seals
· Electrical tape
· Duct tape
· Screwdrivers
· Flashlight
· Slider lubricant
· 5th wheel puller
· Hammer
Personal
· Toiletry bag (big enough to fit all your bathroom stuff--try to get small trial size items or buy small plastic containers & fill them)
· Shampoo, conditioner
· Soap (truck stops give you soap but it’s the cheapest stuff available)
· Razor
· Toothbrush and toothpaste (highly suggested you buy a toothbrush cover)
· Shower shoes (beach thongs will do just fine -- and yes, they are a good idea - you can't believe the weird foot funguses out there.)
· Hair dryer
· Curling iron (?)
· Lotion
· Clippers
· 2 Towels and washcloths (a small number of shippers/receivers/truck stops have free showers for non-fueling customers but will not provide any towels)

My List (added by Cruzncoyote ------->flatbed trucker)
· Laptop
· Palm & Charger
· Inverter
· IPod & Charger
· Hard Hat
· Padlocks
· Head flashlight
· Tape Measure
· Baby Wipes
· Small bottle of hand cleaner (i.e. fast orange or gojo)
· Wire & Cutters
· Cover alls (insulated & non-insulated)
· 4 foot steel pipe to open/close binders
· Truck tire gauge
· Ice and snow windshield scraper
· Nail puller (cats paw or flat bar)
· 16d nails
· Umbrella
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Board Regular

Where are you going to fit all that stuff in your trainers truck?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
From the first sentence of the list:

"You may not be able to actually take this much while with a trainer, as space may not allow it"
Old 10-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzncoyote
!
· Refrigerator/Cooler
· Microwave
· Pillow
· Blanket / Bed sheets / Sleeping bag
· Clothes bag or suitcase
· Shower Room Bag
· Dirty clothes bag
· One week’s worth of clothes (depending)
· Coat/jacket & rain jacket
· 2 pair of shoes
· Hangers
· Defense Spray
· Compass
· CB Radio and Antenna(s)
· Weather Radio
· TV/VCR
· Music / Tapes
· Briefcase / bag to keep paperwork in.
Paperwork Related Items
· Motor Carrier’s Atlas (it is very important to have a MOTOR CARRIER’S Atlas. There is info in it that cannot be found in a basic atlas.)
· Magnifying glass (you can’t believe how hard it can be to read an atlas late at night in the cab of a truck)
· Pens, notepaper, notepad, organizer
· Calculator
· Log book ruler
· Mini cassette recorder (these are excellent to record mileage at state lines, to record directions when you’re getting them by CB radio and to record any other thoughts and reminders to yourself.)
· Truck stop guide/directory
· A list of important phone numbers (Calling information from the road is expensive - bring all phone numbers with you that you think you might call.)
· ATM card
· 800 # to call home
· Calling card to make business calls
Miscellaneous
· Alarm clock, wind up, battery powered or cigarette plug in -- just so long as it wakes you up!
· Camera and film
· Spare pair of shoes
· Hat
· Books/Magazines
· Paper towels and glass cleaner
· Gloves
· Batteries
· Sunglasses
· Pain reliever(s) -- (Excedrin, Tylenol, etc but nothing with alcohol in it!)
A Few Tools
· Adjustable wrench
· Bungee cords/tarp straps
· Glad-hand seals
· Electrical tape
· Duct tape
· Screwdrivers
· Flashlight
· Slider lubricant
· 5th wheel puller
· Hammer
Personal
· Toiletry bag (big enough to fit all your bathroom stuff--try to get small trial size items or buy small plastic containers & fill them)
· Shampoo, conditioner
· Soap (truck stops give you soap but it’s the cheapest stuff available)
· Razor
· Toothbrush and toothpaste (highly suggested you buy a toothbrush cover)
· Shower shoes (beach thongs will do just fine -- and yes, they are a good idea - you can't believe the weird foot funguses out there.)
· Hair dryer
· Curling iron (?)
· Lotion
· Clippers
· 2 Towels and washcloths (a small number of shippers/receivers/truck stops have free showers for non-fueling customers but will not provide any towels)
· Laptop
· Palm & Charger
· Inverter
· IPod & Charger
· Hard Hat
· Padlocks
· Head flashlight
· Tape Measure
· Baby Wipes
· Small bottle of hand cleaner (i.e. fast orange or gojo)
· Wire & Cutters
· Cover alls (insulated & non-insulated)
· 4 foot steel pipe to open/close binders
· Truck tire gauge
· Ice and snow windshield scraper
· Nail puller (cats paw or flat bar)
· 16d nails
· Umbrella
Your going to have to tag along a 48' Van trailer to the flatbed to carry all of that. :lol: Good luck and be safe. :wink:
Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Ize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
From the first sentence of the list:

"You may not be able to actually take this much while with a trainer, as space may not allow it"
Oops, nevermind.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Rookie

Hey Guys/Gals!

Sorry I have not replied. It has been a very busy week of classes in orientation and there is no internet access in the Maverick motel (dorm) facilities. I am sitting in a McDonalds here in Little Rock because they have WiFi for $2.98 for 2 hours. I can’t say enough good about this whole experience so far. Maverick is a class act, bar none.

Here is a run down of my week so far.

October 13, 2007, Saturday

I left the house at 10:00am and had good weather and an uneventful drive to Little Rock. I was impressed how new and nice the facilities were at Maverick. I shared a room in a dorm style motel. We went to a buffet for dinner. I sat in the TV room with other drivers and talked all evening and watch a Nascar race.

October 14, 2007, Sunday

I got up at about 3:00am because my roommate was snoring at least 85 decibels. The first day of class started at 7:30 am. The instructors scanned license and social security cards and took badge pictures. There was discussion of expectations at Maverick from what we wanted to what they wanted. We were fed pizza for lunch. Other classroom topics were: pay, fueling info, qualcomm, HOS, logs, Vorad, and videos on much of this. We were given $50 cash to use for meals. I got a company van and went to the buffet for dinner with 5 other guys.

October 15, 2007, Monday

The day started at 6:30am after I got a bit more sleep last night since I put wax earplugs in my ears. We had to pee in a cup for our drug test and from here it proceeded into a full-blown “turn your head and cough” medical exam (minus the rubber glove test, thank god).

The next item on the agenda was the Maverick “Ability Test”. This was an interesting array of test, some of which I have never been subjected too. They started by doing a grip test with a device that measured grip strength in pounds. A range of motion test was done using these 2 round plastic gauges placed on different parts of your body while you moved that part of your body to check the amount or degree of motion. The head was checked from side to side and up and down. The upper body was tested by bending side to side from the hips and then the back was checked by bending over and touching your toes. Muscle resistance was tested by doing things like holding your arms out and resisting down ward and upper ward forces of the examiner pushing on them. They did this with feet, legs, and hands.

A pulse test was done after stepping up and down on an 8” high box for three minutes. Another test was to lay down on your back and do one sit-up and one leg raise (to the vertical position). They told us to roll over on our stomach and we had to put our hands behind our head and then arch the back and raise the head and hold it as long as possible or until the muscles hit fatigue failure. I held it for about 3 minutes when she said ok stop.

A technician then pushed and squeezed on different parts of the body (back, stomach, neck, wrists, knees, and ankles) checking for abnormalities.

A wooden box about 16 inches square with hand cut outs at each side (top and bottom) was loaded up with lead filled vinyl bag weights. They told us to lift it up from a squatting position to a full standing position and then lower it back down. We had to do this 1st using the lower hand cut outs and then again using the upper hand cut outs. Weight was added until you couldn't lift it any more with all the weights in the box (guessing I would say with all the weight in the box it was around 150-180 lbs.)

We headed out to the securement training garage and had to lift a 120 pound lumber tarp off the floor and place it on the back of the trailer. This had to be done 2 times. We then had to crawl up on top of a trailer from the back and were allowed to step up onto the DOT bar that hangs down off the back of the trailer. Jumping off the trailer was not allowed.

After this we stepped up on a trailer (using a ladder) that had 3 wooden boxes stacked on it. You had to climb up onto the first box that was about 60 inches tall, step over a 2 foot high box back down onto a third (60 inch) box and slide off it, back to the trailer. It sort of simulated climbing up onto and over stacks of lumber.

The final physical test was to climb into the cab of a truck using the grab bar, sit in the sit, and then exit the truck. Facing outward while exiting the truck would fail you. You had to climb down out to the cab facing the drivers sit.

After they fed us a sandwich, chips, pickle, cookie, and soda for lunch we went back to class. We looked at pictures of wrecked trucks and discussed why they occurred and how to prevent the same thing from happening to us. I was pulled out of class by a driver trainer along with another student and we went out and drove a Maverick truck with an empty trailer. It was a road test of sorts but involved no backing. We just drove out to the interstate went down the road for some miles and came back. Multiple videos and tests were completed and class was over after a long day.

October 16, 2007, Tuesday

It was another day of classes and we discussed communication between driver, fleet manager, and customer service representatives. A lot of qualcomm messages were shown as examples and much information was conveyed to us regarding the necessary messages used in loading and unloading. After another lunch of sandwiches we did more trip planning and logging exercises.

October 17, 2007, Wednesday

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we had another day of classes. It started with a Highway Watch Video and then a voluntary sign up for the program. All the drivers in the class did it with nobody abstaining. After this we were taught about accident, breakdown, and routine maintenance qualcomm messages and procedures. There was discussion about inverters in the truck and we were informed that Maverick would only let their mechanics install a driver-supplied inverter of at least 1000 watts in the truck. The price to the driver was $200-250 depending on the inverter. This one time charge includes a Freightliner wiring harness and if you have to change trucks you don't have to pay again to have the inverter reinstalled in the next truck. If you leave Maverick they take out the inverter and harness and give it back to you. Truck washing, parking the truck and trailer for home time, fuel mileage bonuses, benefits, and a safety lecture was discussed.

Pizza was served for lunch and then the class walked over to the corporate offices for short tour. We all got the chance to meet our recruiters face to face and talk about anything of concern. I don't think I can stress enough how positive and truly genuine everybody is in this beautiful facility here in Little Rock. The whole experience so far here in orientation is well thought out and well executed with all company employees doing an outstanding job (pat on the back there Maverick).

October 18, 2007, Thursday

The class this morning consisted of talking about: professionalism, priorities, values, poor driving techniques, accident reporting, and cargo claims. When all this was done we were honored my signing our job offers from Maverick and received our Maverick work gloves, ball cap, and coffee mug.

After a sandwich lunch it was back to the classroom again for more log and trip planning exercises. We also did actually hands on qualcomm message sending and the instructor fired up one of those maroon freightliners and we had to do a very tight straight line back into a simulated docking area (don't forget to put your 4 way flashers on while backing).

I will send more later, when I get a chance to access the internet again. Hope everybody is getting something out of this and enjoys it.

Keep it safe. See ya.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Who did you have for an Orientation instructor? Was it Ed or Keith. Keith usually teaches the students.Since you got your job offer now the fun starts.Load securement,going to Ft.Smith for securement training there.Getting to meet Terry in Ft.Smith.Listen to everything Terry says.He is full of valuable information as are the instructors in Little Rock as well.The way you were treated during Orientation is the same way your fleet manager will treat you out on the road.Maverick is a first rate company.Been with them for a year.Haven't had second thoughts about working for them.