Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Maverick (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/29825-maverick.html)

cruzncoyote 09-23-2007 02:16 PM

Maverick

Good Morning CAD readers,

I would like to welcome myself to this board for the 1st time and let me start by saying last Friday I got a call from Maverick telling me I am now on the official “waiting list” of potential drivers that are to be sent to Little Rock, AR for orientation. I told them I would sit tight and be patient until my number comes up.

Because I found the awesome TMC thread (179 pages as of this date and still going strong) the most useful info for a company, I am hoping to start one for Maverick. There is info on Maverick but it is stretched over multiple threads in different forums scattered all over the place in here.

I am not a new driver. I do have my CDL with all endorsements. I have no verifiable over the road experience since spring of 1997 (yeah, lol, 10+ years). Like many new drivers, when I got into trucking in the mid ‘90’s, I did not realize how my being away from home would effect me and my family (wife and 2 girls). I gave it up after 14 months on the road and went back to a construction job.

{Fast-forward 10 years later} My girls are grown up, out of college, and have good jobs. I am ready to go back on the road and do some trucking. A life of construction work has kept me in good shape and I think flatbed is my cup of tea.

Anybody else that is starting out with Maverick and any old hands that are with them now, please jump in with some good info for us Maverick newbs. I will post occasionally as things get closer to my orientation date and then try to keep it going on a daily bases after I start. I am glad to be here and welcome all comments good and bad.

I will be in touch. Until later. See ya’.

cruzncoyote 09-24-2007 11:29 AM

Re: Maverick

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzncoyote

I got a call from Maverick telling me I am now on the official “waiting list” of potential drivers that are to be sent to Little Rock, AR for orientation.

One thing my recruiter did tell me was that “if” somebody dropped out of an orientation and a spot opened up, quite possibly I could be asked to show up earlier. Wow, that would be nice but seems I have read other posts from Maverick drivers about having to wait even longer than the requisite 2-week period.

Well, anyway, if I do get called in earlier I will hop in my F-150 and drive to Little Rock from Dallas (5 hours, 300 miles). Maverick will send you by Greyhound bus if you so desire but if you choose to drive your personal vehicle they will reimburse you the bus ticket price to help offset your gasoline bill.

tinbender8700 09-24-2007 10:07 PM

Welcome and congrats for getting the good word from Maverick! I hope your wait isn't too long before you learn to do things the "Maverick" way. I wish I could tell ya what's involved over in Little Rock, but I did all my training in Laurinburg NC for the Specialized Division. At least you won't have to learn how to strap and tarp glass!...lol
Again, congrats, and keep us up to date!

Tinbender
truck 55981

hansman 09-25-2007 12:50 AM

Congratulations !!!!!!!

I`ve been working on getting into Maverick for a couple of months now and got the call this afternoon.
I`m heading to Little Rock on Sunday.I`ll be starting at their CDL school in Newport bright and early Monday morning.
Good Luck

Jay B 09-25-2007 11:18 PM

I got the call today that I am approved by Maverick. I am going to CDL school on my own now and graduate on Oct 26. Told them I would like to start orientation Oct 29 and was told it should be OK.
I asked a lot of people a lot of questions and looked around at a lot of forums and everyone (except one guy in Maverick specialized) said they are the best to work for.
All the other guys in the class are scrambling to send out apps now because they thought they had to wait until AFTER they got their CDL to applywith the companies.
About half the class has points, felonies, DUI or something that is going to keep them from getting the good jobs, but they were informed of that before they started class so some of them know they are going to be driving a dump truck locally for a while.

harleypiper 09-26-2007 02:00 AM

I too applied. I know I'm out of the hiring area, but single, no kids and not afraid to move to a hiring location, was hoping to get a call. Emailed, called and left messages about 2 weeks ago, no luck yet. Superior here I come.

cruzncoyote 09-26-2007 01:36 PM

tinbender8700
Quote:

Welcome and congrats for getting the good word from Maverick! I hope your wait isn't too long before you learn to do things the "Maverick" way. I wish I could tell ya what's involved over in Little Rock, but I did all my training in Laurinburg NC for the Specialized Division. At least you won't have to learn how to strap and tarp glass!...lol
Thanks Tinbender. I will try to keep up with this thread as I go through the process and post beneficial information.

Quote:

hansman
Congratulations !!!!!!!

I`ve been working on getting into Maverick for a couple of months now and got the call this afternoon.
I`m heading to Little Rock on Sunday.I`ll be starting at their CDL school in Newport bright and early Monday morning.
Way to go Hansman congrates. I am jealous I am not going this Sunday but I will remain patient and wait my time in line. Hopefully I will at least be in the orientation the following Sunday. If you see a guy driving a black F-150, that will be me. Stop and say hi.

Quote:

Jay B
I got the call today that I am approved by Maverick. I am going to CDL school on my own now and graduate on Oct 26. Told them I would like to start orientation Oct 29 and was told it should be OK.
Good job Jay B. You are on the ball for sure. Hope to see you at Maverick one day. Stay tuned on this thread to see what happens to all of us heading for orientation.

Quote:

harleypiper
I too applied. I know I'm out of the hiring area, but single, no kids and not afraid to move to a hiring location, was hoping to get a call. Emailed, called and left messages about 2 weeks ago, no luck yet. Superior here I come.
Sorry to hear that Harleypiper. My recruiter was Monica in Little Rock. She was really good about calling me back right away to answer my questions and get info from me. If you still want to give Maverick a shot you might want to call and ask for her.

harleypiper 09-27-2007 08:48 AM

Ok thanks cyote, just might do that. What did you think about Ollie's 1st year input? Keep us posted how your making out, congrats.

cruzncoyote 09-27-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

harleypiper
Ok thanks cyote, just might do that. What did you think about Ollie's 1st year input? Keep us posted how your making out, congrats.
Ollie’s post was pretty amazing wasn’t it? Maverick seems to be two different companies entirely at the moment between the specialized and the long haul divisions. I am so glad he said, (quote) “You'll do fine with the Flatbed Longhaul Division. Their trailers are in good shape, and I haven't heard anything negative from their drivers. Good Luck.” That sure made me feel better.

Ollie’s amazing dissertation can be found here:

Maverick Specialized - The Rear View,

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=29891

mx302dad 09-30-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

I am not a new driver. I do have my CDL with all endorsements. I have no verifiable over the road experience since spring of 1997 (yeah, lol, 10+ years). Like many new drivers, when I got into trucking in the mid ‘90’s
I'm in the same boat as you (haven't driven since spring of '98). What did Maverick require of you (i.e. school, refresher course, etc.)?