User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Wonderman,

You don’t have to, but if you can, tell me about your experience with Maverick. I am on my third solo load (dimensioned lumber) and everything so far with Maverick has been good for me.

Monica, as a recruiter, went above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion in getting me into orientation.

Do you still drive?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Rookie

hey cruzncoyote,

So things still going well at Maverick? Thanks for posting about about the company, very informative. I'm graduating from a driving school in about three weeks and will definitely be sending in an application based on what I've read on this site.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Rookie

Lslaw

Sorry to take so long to answer you. I still don’t have Internet out on the road yet. At least I have been getting home every weekend (so far) even though I am long haul.

Things are going terrific for me. I still do not have any serious complaints about Maverick. They are truly doing me righteous as an employee.

I am glad you like reading about my Maverick experiences. I will get busy and do another daily blow-by-blow. This maybe the last one, because life out on the road is well documented here on these forums and it seems to get repetitive to me. I will chime in once and awhile and mention the unusual things.

Good luck with your application to Maverick. Let me know if you need any help along the way.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Rookie

The continuing saga of Cruzncoyote:

Week #2

November 18, 2007, Sunday

I got in my truck and went to Houston and stayed at the Love's truck stop.

November 19, 2007, Monday

I got to North American Stainless before it opened. It was an easy unload.

Maverick did not send me a work assignment right away. They did send a message saying they were trying to get me a load home for Thanksgiving. I went back to the Love's Truck stop and fueled up, ate, and washed my truck over at the Blue Beacon truck wash (we can do this every 2 weeks). At 4:30pm, I finally got a load. I had to go to Pineland, Texas to pick up lumber. I drove there and slept at a picnic area off the road.

November 20, 2007, Tuesday

Inland Lumber Company (shipper) opened at 7:00am. I was there at 6:15am and there were at least 20 trucks in line to get in! It took a while but once I was loaded and scaled, I pulled outside the plant and tarpped my first lumber tarp load by myself. It looked pretty good when I was done. I drove home to Dallas for Thanksgiving.

November 21, 2007, Wednesday

Line 1 :Off duty.

November 22, 2007, Thursday

November 23, 2007, Friday

Week #3

November 24, 2007, Saturday

I took off for Albert Lea, Minnesota with my load of 10 & 14-foot 2x6's. I slept in Joplin, Missouri at the Love's Truckstop.

November 25, 2007, Sunday

I made it to another Love's in Albert Lea, Minnesota and stayed for the night.

November 26, 2007, Monday

I delivered the lumber this morning and headed north to Harris, Minnesota north of Minneapolis/Saint Paul and picked up a load of cultured stone. This was a tough load. The stone was in boxes and it was stacked on 3 different levels. It was very difficult to secure because the straps could not be tightened down too much without crushing the boxes. I used all 12-4” straps and 2-2” straps. My trailer was a 96” wide and the wooden pallets hung over the trailer sides 1-2” so the straps had to be hooked on the outside of the rub rail. The shipper kicked me out because they were closing and I had to tarp with a flashlight on the side of a busy road in the dark. It was freezing and the tarps were a bear to work with. I used all 100+ bungee cords that I had on the truck and could have used another 50. The tarps ballooned and flapped as I drove down the road. It was not a pretty sight. I slept at a rest area off the interstate in Iowa.

November 27, 2007, Tuesday

Whoa, was it cold this morning. Temperature was 3 degree's and the wind chill was -11 degree's. Good thing I didn't have to load and tarp in this kind of weather. Made last night seem like a vacation. I headed on down the road and made it to Mullinville, Kansas for the night.

November 28, 2007, Wednesday

I drove on into El Paso, Texas for the night after stopping several times to try and redo my bungee's. The tarps were looking like crap by the time I got there.

November 29, 2007, Thursday

The cultured stone went to a big construction job going on at Fort Bliss. I was sure glad to get this load off the trailer.

My next load came a few hours later and it was a load of steel T-posts for fencing. This was an easy load to secure and I did not have to tarp it. I headed for the house (Dallas) for the weekend.

November 30, 2007, Friday

I got into Dallas after lunch and enjoyed the evening with my wife.

One good thing, in my opinion about flat bedding. You get to do physical work (keeps the gut down). When I trailer trucked reefers 10 years ago, I always wanted to lump my own loads in order to get paid for it and get some exercise. Most of the time I was not allowed to do it by the consignee’s dumb rules, i.e. no drivers allowed on the warehouse floor, etc. (probably he got a kick back from the lumpers). Now, ha ha, I get to do physical work to secure loads and get paid $20 bucks to tarp. This is so right up my ally. I love it.

Oh, yea. One other awesome fact. These flat beds don’t go into nasty (read: nostril burning) meat packing plants to sit for hours and hours to get a load of beef. I pray I never have to do that again. I might stop eating steaks if I did (and I like my steak bloody red rare in the center).

Ok, that’s enough. I need to go pay attention to Momma. See ya later. Drive safe.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Rookie

How many miles have you been getting your first couple of weeks?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Rookie

Here is my totals: *empty or loaded pays the same at Maverick*

November 14, 2007
1st load: empty-325, loaded-650

November 16, 2007
2nd load: empty-066, loaded-984

November 20, 2007 (Thanksgiving Holiday)
3rd load: empty-158, loaded-955

November 26, 2007
4th load: empty-144, loaded-1386

November 29, 2007
5th load: empty-20, loaded-832

Total in 15 days = 5520 miles x $.35=$1932 (realize it is Thanksgiving…..”i.e. days off and home time” gotta love Maverick for getting us home)

Note: It is late fall/winter.
Freight is slow (historically). Just wait until spring (get ready to roll a lot; because freight picks up….and it is an election year….that makes a difference, usually!) [again historical data]

Maverick
$.35/mile= new/fresh cdl (you are a noob)
$.40/mile= after 6 months (you are still a noob but you get your truck turned up to 70 mph)
$.41/mile= you have been here a year (you are not a noob anymore…..congrates)
Old 12-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Rookie

I appreciate the reply Cruzn. My app has gone to the hiring committee, so hopefully I hear something soon.
How long did it take from the time your app went to hiring committee till they notified you that you were approved?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Rookie

mx302dad

From the time I sent in the online application (and Monica called me the same day….within an hour actually) until I got the call that I was approved and hirable, was 10 days. I waited almost 6 weeks from online application to getting the call to go to orientation though. Good luck with your app.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Rookie

Got news today that I have been approved. It will probably be after the first of the year before I get THE call.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Rookie

Congrates mx302dad.

Enjoy your wait time through the holidays and then get ready for the time of your life after the New Year. Keep us posted. Good luck.