Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

OK Skywalker, I'll tell him when I call this week. Thanks to all for the luck
Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Last week was a good one for training. My trainer and I spent the week doing driver unloads. After five or six air offs I am comfortable with it and signed off to go it alone. Did my first load by myself on Wednesday and no problems, the training I got was pretty good. I have driving experience so the training really centered on procedures and paperwork. It was nice that my trainer shared the driving with me once he knew I had plenty of experience so I didn't have to drive every single mile (we were dispatched as a team a few times since the terminal was covered up with work).

There is a lack of system work out of baltimore right now and since the inbound drivers have to be covered first I got a local load to start next week. This is some local load though. I will bobtail to Williamsburg Va. then go to Oklahoma and return. Twenty eight hundred miles and about four and a half days but its local cause its dedicated out and back. I can definately get used to a four and a half day work week paying around twelve hundred dollars and drop and hook at both ends.

I have my eye on a truck. I am trying to wait until January for tax purposes. Since I sold my old truck this year it will simplify things if I wait but the owner operator money in tanks is sooooo good I am having trouble waiting to pull the trigger.

I am driving truck 00532 if any of you see me on the road speak up I want to thank you in person for the info you guys gave me on here. Cyanide, Skywalker, and Paul Mcgraw all were very helpful.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Board Regular

Cyanide and Skywalker sealed it up for me as well. Reading their thread turned me right around from flatbed. I just met with the Terminal Manager out of Springfield Ma. on Thursday 10/27 and things are looking good I hope. I have a pre-hire for TMC which is my 2nd choice so for now it's a waiting period for me with the Haz-Mat B.S. 30 days for background checks. Crap it only takes max. 15 min. to send a check to the FBI, NCIC and III with a push of a button. I guess they have to justify their $89.25. I don't however want to wait too long and lose TMC if Superior doesn't take me. I'm not worried about the back ground crap, never been arrested or got caught. It' s the waiting to take the Haz-Mat test to get the endorsement that is holding me up. Well keep the posts up, I'm interested in hearing how your making out.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:26 AM

Harleypiper: If your are prior military, seeing the cutter pic, and you have no background issues you should clear in a few days... I cleared in 2 days, 20 years military with 20 years secret clearance... HOWEVER I was told bt TSA that it also depends on who is in front of you on the agents desk... if the clearance in front of yours takes weeks to clear yours will sit until the other one is done... they do only one case at a time.. so it hopefully won't take 30 days for ya.. I got lucky and when my letter arrived, 5 days after I submitted my request, I alos got my new CDL with the all impotant x on it teh same day... being in Cali that FLOORED me.. this state is not known for speedy processing :shock:

Go for the tanker it's worth it
Old 09-30-2007, 06:26 AM

OOPPS! Slow computer causes double post :evil:
Old 09-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Board Regular

Thats what i thought. I was in the Coast Guard, I'm currently in the Coast Guard Aux. (had to be fingerprinted) I work for the Lottery Commission for just over a year. When I started had to be fingerprinted and now again, this is the 3rd time in a year. It's all about the Ben Franklins. She told me a MINIMUM of 30 days, I nearly hit the floor. I'm hoping and praying that it doesn't sit around and my name somewhere pops up as a recent check. Thanks RC
Old 10-01-2007, 10:30 AM

I just reinstated my hazmat. I did the background check on thursday and took the test on tuesday of the next week. DDS was closed on monday. Would I enjoy the same hometime by living in South Georgia? I live in Valodsta and the closest terminal would be Jacksonville or Savannah. Do they allow you to bring the truck home?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M
I just reinstated my hazmat. I did the background check on thursday and took the test on tuesday of the next week. DDS was closed on monday. Would I enjoy the same hometime by living in South Georgia? I live in Valodsta and the closest terminal would be Jacksonville or Savannah. Do they allow you to bring the truck home?
Sorry, no....we are required to leave our trucks at terminals. I drive 100 miles to get to my truck...thats how much I like my job... 8)

Yes, you would enjoy the same amount of home time. The closest actual terminal is Savannah... but you could park your tractor at the Carry Transit yard in Jax....after dropping the tank at the tank wash. So you would just have to decide where you wanted to commute to. I think Jax would be closer and faster...to get to. 121 miles verses 191...or is it 171?

If you have any other questions....feel free to ask. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
What is the avg. weight of a swallow?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
What is the avg. weight of a swallow?
If you're talking about the "bird"....about 19.25 grams to 22.25 grams... according to these people: http://www.bto.org/ringing/swallowro...ject/index.htm

Isn't "google" wonderful... :? :? :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now if you're talking about a mouthful of spit..... darned if I know. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.