Originally Posted by mbadriver
I'll second that. Slow as Moses. arrggghhh. :sad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
So when does tanker work slow down?
apparently right now,it's pretty brutal right now
I must say... I'm glad I'm not the only one sitting and waiting for a load!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink:

First up, and it will be tuesday afternoon before it loads!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

And it will probably go 500 miles and not deliver until Friday. It's kind of crazy. I still don't really understand how to "get paid" for all the extra stuff and downtime. They don't include that in the employee manual!! The layover pay is really confusing and I have only heard word of mouth. Something like the first 16 hours are free, then you go on 8-paid hours then 10-unpaid hours, etc, etc.

Do we get anything extra for the loads that go 600 miles and don't deliver for 4-days? :?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I must say... I'm glad I'm not the only one sitting and waiting for a load!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink:

Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="mbadriver"]And it will probably go 500 miles and not deliver until Friday. It's kind of crazy. I still don't really understand how to "get paid" for all the extra stuff and downtime. They don't include that in the employee manual!! The layover pay is really confusing and I have only heard word of mouth. Something like the first 16 hours is free, then you go on 8-paid hours then 10-unpaid hours, etc, etc.

Do we get anything extra for the loads that go 600 miles and don't deliver for 4-days? :?

I don't know about you Superior company hands, but us Miller O/O's do get lay-over pay, when under a load.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

mbadriver wrote:
Quote:
And it will probably go 500 miles and not deliver until Friday. It's kind of crazy. I still don't really understand how to "get paid" for all the extra stuff and downtime. They don't include that in the employee manual!! The layover pay is really confusing and I have only heard word of mouth. Something like the first 16 hours is free, then you go on 8-paid hours then 10-unpaid hours, etc, etc.
It goes like this...

Layover Pay
From the time you park and set up shop wherever it may be BUT NOT YOUR HOME TERMINAL, you start your layover clock (preferably at or as close to the delivery location as possible is what I always did). The first fifteen hours there are free, then you are paid the next eight. Then, if you can sit another ten hours the next eight are paid and this ten-eight cycle continues until you either begin unloading or get rolling again. And while you sit you still continue to draw your sleeper berth pay for each night you're in your truck. The only exception to this is if you're in a hotel and then you obviously wouldn't receive the sleeper pay.

Load/Unload Pay and Detention Pay
Simple...Your first two hours at a customer after your appointment time are paid the $20 flat rate ($10 for Carry Transit company drivers). Everything after that initial two hours is paid at the applicable hourly rate. So yes, if you are at a customer for say, twelve hours total from your appointment time you're going to get the initilal $20/$10, and then ten more hours at your applicable rate.

Via
If you are wanting to be paid for the miles up to where you have stopped at Sunday 2359 you send in the via message on your Qualcomm/Aether system, even if you're presently enroute to a destination with a load.

As for your boss, it's your individual terminal manager. However, your loads will be assigned to you from the dispatcher of the terminal who's area you fall into. Hope that helps you out some.

Dang, y'all talking about stuff going slow makes me feel as though I'm left out and alone now, since my new job keeps me rolling along pretty steady, it being dedicated and all...

Yes, I quit Superior Carriers as a company driver, and am now doing something that is working out much better for me in regards to my priorities... :wink:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
And it will probably go 500 miles and not deliver until Friday. It's kind of crazy. I still don't really understand how to "get paid" for all the extra stuff and downtime. They don't include that in the employee manual!! The layover pay is really confusing and I have only heard word of mouth. Something like the first 16 hours are free, then you go on 8-paid hours then 10-unpaid hours, etc, etc.
Orangetxguy said;

[/quote]

Well...I got some great news at 4pm. My tuesday morning load to Saint Louis got pulled from under me! Now I load 3 am monday for Stamford CT. Swapped a $1450 + fsc load for a $4500 + fsc load!!!

Damn I'm glad that original driver for CT quit !!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Board Regular

Yep fairly slow right now. I did have two choices for Monday though so it could be worse. I am heading for Kansas City via Petersburgh Va. Prolly about 1400 loaded miles. Then most likely deadheading to Chicago for a reload back to Baltimore. That one concerns me. If the load to KC doesn't go perfectly I may get screwed trying to get home by Friday night. If one of you guys happens to be in Milsdale let them know to make sure I get my load to Baltimore on time. 8)

MBA, yes you should be billing the terminal for your layover while waiting to unload. If you have a one day trip and four days before you can unload it they owe you for the days you cannot be productive and make money. It goes under the misc hours part at the bottom of the pay sheet. My terminal requires sixteen hours when you first arrive then eight on and eight off until your unloading starts. The layover pay is terminal specific so check with your pay clerk at your particular terminal.

We even have new guys trying to lease on as contractors right now at our terminal. They will have a pretty lean time to be trying to keep their heads above water right now. Any body that's been trucking for a few seasons knows now is the worst time to change companies. You'd have to be pretty desperate to not wait until spring when it gets busy.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Board Regular

Archdale Soda Shop...

Go right out of the terminal lot. Turn right on Fairfield. Turn right on main street ( aka 311 ). Go about a mile and a half on Main. When you go through light at HWY 62 you will pass RBC Bank then a shopping ctr then Archdale Pharmacy all on the left. The next building on the left is the WORLD FAMOUS Archdale Soda Shop. I looks like a total dump but its been there for almost forty years and the have great hotdogs. The special is two hot dogs fries and a drink for 3.25.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Board Regular

I just finished my first week of training. It was a great experience. My trainer was excellent. I learned more about driving a truck this week than in a month of cdl school. Got the weekend off and look forward to hitting it again Monday morning at 8 AM.

Thanks for the directions mudpuddle. Drove by it a couple of times on our way to 220. Will have to check that out if I get a chance next week.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I'm with you on slow as Moses. It must be the Union guys getting all the work, (to keep our wages higher)? :lol: