User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB Hunt

well im on my 2nd week at JB. For anyone that wants to know let me give you some insight. I went to orentation in St. Louis. They didnt hardly discuss anything except safety. If i was to rate it I would give it a 5 out of 10. The 1st week out was great. They are very strict on logbooks which I like. The 2nd week not so good. I got wrote up already because I was late for a del. Which is bogus. I told my FM at the time I didnt have enough to make the 2nd stop and she said ok no big deal we will reschedule it for the next day and that was the end of it. Well on my way out of Iowa I broke down which I sat for 6 hours on I-80 with my brakes all locked up. While Im sittin there my new FM sends me a message to call him so I did and thats when he said I had a service failure for the late load which means write up. You are allowed 5 of these in 90 days. Well I was already pissed because there I sat for 6 hours with no pay so I told him I wasnt gonna talk to him about it right now and I hung up the phone. Wrong thing to do. I sat in chicago for the day and got put on a 300 mile run the catch is it doesnt del until tomorrow afternoon. My schedule day off. I asked if I could drop it at the St. Louis yard and I was told no. So they gave me 3 days to run 300 miles.

Also I was lied to about my pay. They said I would be making .37 cpm which Im only making .34. The physical is a bitch. Its like boot camp. The saftey manager in St Louis isnt exactly the nicest guy either he likes to get pissed alot in orentation. I was lied to about my hometime. I was told I would be home every other weekend. My FM told me good luck with that.

Overall I would say enter at your own risk. I quit my last job because they said I would make more money which turns out Im making less which really does piss me off. I know everybody warns you but you know sometimes you have to find out for yourself.

I still have 3 prehires from other companies so if this dont work out I can move on.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: JB Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighteremtb78
well im on my 2nd week at JB. For anyone that wants to know let me give you some insight. I went to orentation in St. Louis. They didnt hardly discuss anything except safety. If i was to rate it I would give it a 5 out of 10. The 1st week out was great. They are very strict on logbooks which I like. The 2nd week not so good. I got wrote up already because I was late for a del. Which is bogus. I told my FM at the time I didnt have enough to make the 2nd stop and she said ok no big deal we will reschedule it for the next day and that was the end of it. Well on my way out of Iowa I broke down which I sat for 6 hours on I-80 with my brakes all locked up. While Im sittin there my new FM sends me a message to call him so I did and thats when he said I had a service failure for the late load which means write up. You are allowed 5 of these in 90 days. Well I was already pissed because there I sat for 6 hours with no pay so I told him I wasnt gonna talk to him about it right now and I hung up the phone. Wrong thing to do. I sat in chicago for the day and got put on a 300 mile run the catch is it doesnt del until tomorrow afternoon. My schedule day off. I asked if I could drop it at the St. Louis yard and I was told no. So they gave me 3 days to run 300 miles.

Also I was lied to about my pay. They said I would be making .37 cpm which Im only making .34. The physical is a bitch. Its like boot camp. The saftey manager in St Louis isnt exactly the nicest guy either he likes to get pissed alot in orentation. I was lied to about my hometime. I was told I would be home every other weekend. My FM told me good luck with that.

Overall I would say enter at your own risk. I quit my last job because they said I would make more money which turns out Im making less which really does piss me off. I know everybody warns you but you know sometimes you have to find out for yourself.

I still have 3 prehires from other companies so if this dont work out I can move on.
Remember me, pal? Did you think I was lying? Or maybe just a disgruntled ex-employee? I post to help people out. You are a good example of what happens when a newbie closes his mind, or just decides to ignore the warnings. I suggest you also check your miles per job....you'll see they been shaved 10-20% from actual HHG miles. There are different sites that will give you those miles in HHG format. Just think of it as "driving for free".

But hey, go ahead and try to stick it out for another month, 3 months, year....I'm sure sometime in your lifetime things will get better over there. And while your at it, look up what their turnover rate is, and try to ask yourself why would they leave. I know why I did. Talk about deja vu.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Board Member

What are the other companies you have a pre-hire from?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
What are the other companies you have a pre-hire from?

Let me guess, C.R England ? :lol:
Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Senior Board Member

firefighteremtb78

Hey, sorry about landing on you so hard. As I said in another post, my family suffered while I was employed with JB. So I'm not forgiving.

Guess what, pal. We are not alone. There are several drivers who are going thru the same thing. I lasted 3 months before I discovered they were shaving the HHG (or Rand McNelly, whatever you want to call them) miles. My trips were short 10-20% before I ever moved the truck. For me, that was the last straw. I've kept all of my trip sheets for evidence in case I ever need them. You are going to find out that trying to stick with them will hurt, and hurt bad. But you are lucky. Because now is the time to do something about it. Either demand to be on a account to where you can make money, or leave. Because where you are at will not change. I've talked to several drivers while I was there...same thing, and they were there longer. Of course, your dispatcher and FM will tell you that's part of the industry.

You can tell them so is a high turnover rate, and they can just add one more.

Good luck.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Senior Board Member

where is sheepdancer at to comment on this???

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Rookie

yeah where is sheepdancer?
the other companies are Knight and Us Express

i hate "job hopping" but there was another driver at the yard today that was quitting and he said the same thing i did. He had been there 10 years and received his 1st write up for a late load that was beyond his contriol. He was stopped in traffic and couldnt move he said.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
yeah where is sheepdancer?
the other companies are Knight and Us Express

i hate "job hopping" but there was another driver at the yard today that was quitting and he said the same thing i did. He had been there 10 years and received his 1st write up for a late load that was beyond his contriol. He was stopped in traffic and couldnt move he said.
To each his own, but I would have gone with Knight any day over JBH or USX.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: JB Hunt

Quote:

When you talked to your dispatcher about the late load, did you do that over the phone or the qualcom? If it was over the phone, that's your first mistake. If you did do it over the qualcom, show that to your FM, then they could see that it was already taken care of. As far sitting waiting because your truck broke down, well, that happens, its called truck driving. As far as the three days to do 300 miles, well your attitude got you that! You can't expect to get good miles if you go off on your FM like you said you did and not expect to be punished for it. About the pay, did you get it in writing? If so, take it too them and show them. If you did not get it in writing, that is your fault. I am in no way trying to bash you or anything. I am just trying to get you too see where it might not always be the company. BOL
Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
When you talked to your dispatcher about the late load, did you do that over the phone or the qualcom? If it was over the phone, that's your first mistake. If you did do it over the qualcom, show that to your FM, then they could see that it was already taken care of. As far sitting waiting because your truck broke down, well, that happens, its called truck driving. As far as the three days to do 300 miles, well your attitude got you that! You can't expect to get good miles if you go off on your FM like you said you did and not expect to be punished for it. About the pay, did you get it in writing? If so, take it too them and show them. If you did not get it in writing, that is your fault. I am in no way trying to bash you or anything. I am just trying to get you too see where it might not always be the company. BOL
It was done over the qualcom and he read it and he said it was still company policy.

I understand that being broke down is part of the job. But is it part of the job when they call a guy from 400 miles away to come and fix it? I called back after an hour of waiting and he said he was coming from the east side of Champaighn,IL. I said thats along way away he was like oh it says here its only 9 miles. DUH!!!!

My attitude may have gotten me the 300 mile run but when he says we had to write you up because of the late load HELLO I think I have a right to be pissed off.