Ryder 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB Hunt dedicated PPG account... your thoughts?

I may be signing on with JB this Wednesday for the PPG account. As of now I am deciding between JB Hunt and Ryder. I have an interview with Ryder tomorrow afternoon, but need to make a decision quickly.

I've checked around the boards here an seem to get a good "vibe" from the current JB Hunt drivers about the company, however, knowing that the opinion of how the company ultimately depends on our own experiences, a view from the "inside" does tend to help on the "big decision".

I understand that JB Hunt has a "boat-load" of opportunities for drivers depending on how they want to "run", and what kind of "hometime" they're looking for. That's a big plus to me, because I am a family man and would love to stay married and watch my kids grow up...I know I'll miss quite a bit of that as a driver, however, I don't plan on being a driver for the rest of my life...just until I hit the next "phase", or untill my wife wants me to quit or one of us realizes it's putting a strain on our family. (with Daddy gone all the time) My kids are little, (6, 4, & 1.5)she has help at home already with a "Nanny/housekeeper" type and will be soon moving closer to us, so hopefully that'll help a bit. And I also understand that local positions can come up as well, which I also like.

I did some local work for Swift on the Home Depot dedicated account ($150 per day X 5) I liked at first when we started at 1600 and got off at 0:00, but as one of the other DC we pick up from started taking longer and longer to get the trailers ready... I wasn't getting home till nearly 0500- 0600...it doesn't leave much time to sleep when I live 1.5 hours away from the terminal...on a good day.... especially when the little ones can't help but interrupt Daddy's sleep for some "play time" before having to start getting ready to go to work.

Any thoughts?... sorry for the rambling (I tend to do that...it's who I am)
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM

My money is on Ryder. Although JB Hunt is ok too. I worked with both commpanies and i feel Ryder is a bit better.

You probably can't go wrong with either company though. I just think ryder is a little better.

Tell us more about the PPG account?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Rookie

I'd actually like to know as well, hense the reason for this post. I've never driven for JB before, only Averitt and Swift. Suprisingly to some, I thought Swift treated me better, had more miles and not as much time spent in terminals waiting for truck being repaired. I averaged between 1200-1800 miles a week with Averitt.

Hoping Sheepdancer or other JB drivers can help me out here. Thanks for the response though. Take care!

-Watcher
Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

HELP YOU OUT????? whats up with all these drivers going to other recruiters and then having me answer all the questions. :shock:
I need to make some money!!!
Ok now ive vented...:lol: ....and I was just kidding. Ronnie is a great guy and recruiter, he will shoot straight with ya. However tell him that Craig actually talked you into it. Perhaps I can at least get a free lunch or something. :lol:
PPG is a great run. It will get you home every other weekend for a full 72 hours. Its almost all drop and hook. And it has very consistant miles.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
It will get you home every other weekend for a full 72 hours. Its almost all drop and hook. And it has very consistant miles.
That right there will kill your homelife and marriage. If you want to be home to see the kids grow up, I would go with Ryder. I have nothing bad to say about JB but you want hometime.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
HELP YOU OUT????? whats up with all these drivers going to other recruiters and then having me answer all the questions. Shocked
I believe I told him I had been getting a lot of information about JB Hunt from classadrivers.com forums. I mentioned there was a recruiter on there but I didn't know your name. Don't worry, I'll be sure to mention your name to him tomorrow.

FYI:

I had the interview with Ryder today, however, the guy didn't seem to have the answers I was looking for. Yes, the pay would be great, but he didn't seem to know when I'd be off so I my wife and I could plan around my days off. A bit disheartening I thought. All he got across was that it was a rotating shift, they did slip seating, the pay was based on "zone milage" and I could be driving anything from a 53' to a box truck for deliveries for CVS. I sounds good...just would like more information about the job from other drivers. All in all, the interview went well, and looks like he liked what he heard.

thanks for all your advice fellas!

-Watcher
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
HELP YOU OUT????? whats up with all these drivers going to other recruiters and then having me answer all the questions. :shock:
Ok now ive vented...:lol: ....and I was just kidding. Ronnie is a great guy and recruiter, he will shoot straight with ya. However tell him that Craig actually talked you into it. Perhaps I can at least get a free lunch or something. :lol:
PPG is a great run. It will get you home every other weekend for a full 72 hours. Its almost all drop and hook. And it has very consistant miles.
Hi: I have been dealing with Robin (male, not female) regarding PPG DCS. I would be based out of the Niles, OH terminal. Will they raise a stink if I delay orientation for a couple weeks. I figured I may as well take a summer vacation now, instead of driving for a month and then asking for time off.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

make sure you call Robin and tell that you want to move out. It shouldnt be a problem. Keep in mind that the PPG has that sign on bonus and you never know when they might take it away. You might reschedule yourself out of 1000 bucks.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Hehehe.....

You know, I called on a site that was posted on this board over the weekend. Some claimed it was JB Hunt. Nothing on the site had JB Hunt logo on it.

Got called back eariler today (monday). Great job was offered. It would have been a dedicated account, with me home every weekend. Pay sounded good, great bennies.....

Sound to good to be true. So I'm thinking, "Great, where do I sign up?"

Then he told that I would be working for JB Hunt, and did I have......

Hung up on him there.

Makes you want to go HMMMMMMMMMM........ :wink:

Companies who are straight with you upfront don't have to have sites like these....Here is the posting in case your wondering...go check it out for yourself.
:wink:

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...377&highlight=

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 06-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

P.S. I would go with Ryder.

But that's just me.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'