User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzdog
Well Von, ask and you shall recieve.

I have made it very clear of the issues that I had at TMC. I have never worked for and have no ambition to ever work for Maveric. For all I know it may be a good company to start at, but I highly doubt that it would be a company that anyone would want to stay at. Maveric and TMC are basically the same, they are a newbie training company. I am sure that Maveric has the same policy for trainers as all of the other mega training companies, survive 9 months to 1 year at the company without killing anyone and you can be a trainer :roll:

I do find it very funny that all of the TMC fanboy coolies have never worked for any other trucking company. I have no problem admitting that I have been an industry slut, I have worked a total of 6 companies in the 4 years I have been driving. But that experience has given me the knowlege to make a realistic comparison between companies. For me I will never work for another Mega ( larger then 1000 trucks ) training company. I have currently found my personal trucking Nirvana at the company that I am at now. 85 company trucks is large enough for my taste.

For all of you TMC coolies next time you load at IPSCO in Montpelier IA, take a look at the paper work that you sign when you scale out. Pay close attention to the freight rate that is on that paper then go out to tyour truck and look at the qualcom again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If any of you do go there, more then likely you will see me as I load out of there at least once a week. Funny thing is, I was at 29% at TMC, I am paid 25% at my current job. I haul mainly the same freight but I make more money paid 25%. Explain that Von.

My advice to any newbie. Do your time at one of these training companies. Get your 1 or 2 years in, then dont walk, RUN away and find a good company to work for.
Your general bitterness and negativity pretty much explain everything. More than likely you will quit this glorious job because of some inane and minor issue that will have you trashing them also. Sorry we "fanboy coolies" don't have the incredible experience of working for 6 companies in 4 years. I know, it was all their fault.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonSeggern
Your general bitterness and negativity pretty much explain everything. More than likely you will quit this glorious job because of some inane and minor issue that will have you trashing them also. Sorry we "fanboy coolies" don't have the incredible experience of working for 6 companies in 4 years. I know, it was all their fault.
:lol: :lol: :lol: What he fails to realize since he is a "know it all" is that if he'd given ONE of those six companies a chance, he may have been there LONG enough to learn the ropes and make a decent paycheck.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Rookie

"I do find it very funny that all of the TMC fanboy coolies have never worked for any other trucking company. I have no problem admitting that I have been an industry slut, I have worked a total of 6 companies in the 4 years I have been driving. "

I think it says something for the people that can stay with a company for a year, two, ten, even twenty...and industry "sluts" are jokes to those of us that take the business serious. Its funny to me, too, that TMC and even Maverick drivers have never worked for any other trucking company. You're right, that says a lot of horrible things about a company....that it can keep its drivers around for years and years. Horrible things. :wink:
Old 05-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Rookie

I was invited to join in the discussion by Von and this is how I am welcomed to the thread :roll:

BND, That great week you had, was that for freight for that week alone or did you have a very good paying load that carried over from the week before that finished this week? What was the check the week before and the week after this great week? You only tell half of the tale.

Rawlco, Steel plants know well in advance what the product is going to weigh. I am making substantially more money where I am at now, alot more then $150 a week. As far as it being "labor intensive" to change the rate in the computer, it would take less time to make the change then it does for me to type this post. The company I work for does not pull cheap freight unless it is a region where this is no other option. I have never been laid up for any ammount of time waiting for a load, the longest being 1 hour.

Von, You basically open the door on this thread for me to respond. What type of response did you think I would post? As of right now the only reason I would see me leaving this job is when I leave the industry for good. The day is coming, and it is not a matter of "if" but "when", that this job will be unbearable due to governement, immigrant workers, and the ATA ( funded by the mega carriers ).

Goldies/fred, I have never proclaimed to be a "know it all". For your information until 06 I had only worked for 2 companies covering 3 years of my experience in the industry. So it is not an issue of me giving any company a chance. The company I am at now, over 50% of the company drivers have been at the company for over 5 years, 70% 2 years or longer. What are the numbers at TMC? Fact is, where I work at now, turn over is not an issue.

trucking.life, I am not sure what planet you live on, but the world has changed. The average American will change careers 6 times in their life. That is not 6 different employers, that is 6 completely different fields of occupation. Gone is the day of a kid graduating from highschool and going to work at the factory in town and retiring in 40 years. Companies do not value their employees in this country. If you do not realize that, the mix up the coolaid and wait for the next comet to pass by for your ride on the mother ship. The reason why there are soo many drivers that have never worked for anyother company at TMC and Maveric is that the majority of the drivers at these companies have less then 1 year experience. They have limited options.

Here is some advice for everyone that has less then 2 years experience. Once you hit that milestone, go to a truck stop and pick up every recruting magazine on the rack. Make a list of every company that is advertising in them and title it places not to work for. If a company is advertising in those magazines then they have a problem with turnover and retention.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzdog
I was invited to join in the discussion by Von and this is how I am welcomed to the thread :roll:

BND, That great week you had, was that for freight for that week alone or did you have a very good paying load that carried over from the week before that finished this week? What was the check the week before and the week after this great week? You only tell half of the tale.

Rawlco, Steel plants know well in advance what the product is going to weigh. I am making substantially more money where I am at now, alot more then $150 a week. As far as it being "labor intensive" to change the rate in the computer, it would take less time to make the change then it does for me to type this post. The company I work for does not pull cheap freight unless it is a region where this is no other option. I have never been laid up for any ammount of time waiting for a load, the longest being 1 hour.

Von, You basically open the door on this thread for me to respond. What type of response did you think I would post? As of right now the only reason I would see me leaving this job is when I leave the industry for good. The day is coming, and it is not a matter of "if" but "when", that this job will be unbearable due to governement, immigrant workers, and the ATA ( funded by the mega carriers ).

Goldies/fred, I have never proclaimed to be a "know it all". For your information until 06 I had only worked for 2 companies covering 3 years of my experience in the industry. So it is not an issue of me giving any company a chance. The company I am at now, over 50% of the company drivers have been at the company for over 5 years, 70% 2 years or longer. What are the numbers at TMC? Fact is, where I work at now, turn over is not an issue.

trucking.life, I am not sure what planet you live on, but the world has changed. The average American will change careers 6 times in their life. That is not 6 different employers, that is 6 completely different fields of occupation. Gone is the day of a kid graduating from highschool and going to work at the factory in town and retiring in 40 years. Companies do not value their employees in this country. If you do not realize that, the mix up the coolaid and wait for the next comet to pass by for your ride on the mother ship. The reason why there are soo many drivers that have never worked for anyother company at TMC and Maveric is that the majority of the drivers at these companies have less then 1 year experience. They have limited options.

Here is some advice for everyone that has less then 2 years experience. Once you hit that milestone, go to a truck stop and pick up every recruting magazine on the rack. Make a list of every company that is advertising in them and title it places not to work for. If a company is advertising in those magazines then they have a problem with turnover and retention.
You refer to us in previous posts, and I paraphrase, as coolies, shills, suck-ups, worker drones, a**kissers and wipers, and cluelessTMC Buttboys. You expect a positive response to your posts? Hmmm.

Although I am not a legend of trucking, I am going fast on to that second full year. I am the most cynical of people, pretty frikken smart and wary of the world. However, I can't ascribe to your "TMC is evil, the man is out to get me, and the aliens really did land in Roswell" views. Although there may be truth to some of your experiences, not one person here supports your views. So, either this board is loaded with TMC consipirators and CAD kills off opposing views, or, perhaps your views are based on your general negativity and acrimony towards TMC, yourself, and the world.

It would be easy and wrong of me to continue disparaging you here. In good conscience, I can't do that any more and I just can't bring myself to respond further to your future posts. I do, however, feel a sincere compassion for your plight and wish you the best of luck and success.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucking.life
I think it says something for the people that can stay with a company for a year, two, ten, even twenty...and industry "sluts" are jokes to those of us that take the business serious. Its funny to me, too, that TMC and even Maverick drivers have never worked for any other trucking company. You're right, that says a lot of horrible things about a company....that it can keep its drivers around for years and years. Horrible things. :wink:
TMC pulls in over 50 people a week for orientation. They were shooting for 100 people a week last summer, according to what they told the doctor at the medical exam to get ready for. That's over 2500 people a year, maybe as high as 3-4000 people going to work for TMC. TMC has about 3000 trucks. How big a turnover does this work out to? How many drivers are there long term? The posters here, including Fred, have less than a year at TMC. It takes a special kind of person to work long term for TMC but it doesn't mean it is a good special.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Ize
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucking.life
TMC pulls in over 50 people a week for orientation. They were shooting for 100 people a week last summer, according to what they told the doctor at the medical exam to get ready for. That's over 2500 people a year, maybe as high as 3-4000 people going to work for TMC. TMC has about 3000 trucks. How big a turnover does this work out to? How many drivers are there long term? The posters here, including Fred, have less than a year at TMC. It takes a special kind of person to work long term for TMC but it doesn't mean it is a good special.
The truth of the matter is, it DOESN'T take a "special kind of person to work long-term at ANY company.

The term "mature individual" would be better used...
Old 05-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member

IMO...

It takes a special person to drive for a living.
It takes a special person to do flatbedding.
It takes a special person to drive for TMC or Maverick and do well.

The attrition during ORIENTATION is 50%, during training, during the 1st 3 months...more, during the first year...more. I estimate 80% of the people that start orientation are gone before a year. That doesn't mean that TMC is the problem, though some fault lies with them to be sure. As much fault should go to the loser drivers we hire, shippers, consignees, traffic, DOT, places to park, and the rest of the BS in the industry. That is why TMC needs to hire a 80% of it's workforce each year, if indeed that is the number, to stay in business.

Intelligent differences of opinion requested.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I am going to give you a different perspective here. I worked for a couple larger outfits and one almost Mega-carrier with their own training school. Now I did not pull flatbed so I can not compare TMC to Maverick in that regards however I am going by what I saw on the road and also by how I was treated the companies I drove for. I was at one company 16 months and started off 220 on the senoirty list when I left there I was 16th now what does that tell you on how many drivers they go thru and the turnover rate. Another company to them all I was was a number and a body the last one treated me like a person and they cared and whenever a driver in that needed help they got it no questions asked. I have talked to multiple TMC drivers and most of them are happy there but they have a few issues and they are drivers that have been there for YEARS. Remeber this chrome does not pay your familes bills at home. I also have talked to Maverick drivers and they have the same issues and remember these are the longterm drivers. It is just they know what it cost to change companies and do not want to do it. At my last company I started at 240 and when I left I was still 200 so in 16 months I only gained 40 spots that company had a low turnover rate yet was very successfull.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Von,
The antibiotics that you are on must be tainted. I have never once used the term "shills" or "Buttboys". I think maybe though some deep seeded issues may be coming to the surface that you have to deal with. You have failed to address any of the issues that I had at TMC. For that matter no one has ever answered any of them. You may think that you can impress some people by throwing around four or five sylable words. It does not really work with me though. The older I get the more synical I become. As I said the reason I finally left TMC was when I had proof in hand that they were not 100% upfront in regards to what the loads were paying. But it was more then just that, it was the entire experience. WHen the time comes if and when you ever do work for a different company, you will then see that TMC is not all that you make it to be. Perhaps you should learn a little history of the industry. If you look at the buisness model of Swift, you will see alot of similarities with what Tim Annett is doing with TMC. When the ATA gets the governement to madate that all CMVs will be goverened at 68mph then the small advantage that the small companies have will be null and void. The larger companies will then be able to take out the vast majority through rate cutting because they can operate on a smaller profit margin. At the end of the day, whether you are willing or able to admit it, TMC is no different then Swift with the exception that you drive a Peterbilt.

Quote:
As much fault should go to the loser drivers we hire
What a statement. That shows a real positive attitude. There is little doubt that is the sentiment shared by the company as well. The one common response from all of the pro-TMC posters here is, if you quit TMC then it is the fault of the driver, PERIOD. Do not dare bring an oposing view.

vonSeggern,

Please for the sake of discussion answer these questions.

What is the annual turn over rate at TMC.

What % of the fleet has less then 1 year experience driving.

What is the average experience of the company.

How much money is spent by TMC for advertising driver recruitment a year.

I have asked 4 very direct simple questions. I will respond later in the week with the numbers from the company I am currently at for comparison. I hope that this would qualify as an " Intelligent difference of opinion" as you requested.