User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have a hard time believing that any driver doesnt know why they are turned down for a job. Hell, just by reading your posts we all know why you were turned down....driving record.
Earlier I got off the phone with a driver. He was angry with JB Hunt. It seems we had him in orientation back in Nov and sent him home. I asked him why we sent him home. He swore to me that we sent him home for 1 ticket he had. And that was the only ticket he had on his MVR. Well, that didnt seem right to me. We allow three tickets. Surely a mistake was made and with a little work clearing this up and a few apologies to this driver, I might be able to get him back into orientation. So I spent next hour trying to figure out what happened. MVRs, Criminal Records..ect, are priveliged information and not avail for recruiters to look at over here, so I had to go through the proper channels. Well after phone calls to safety and investigations, I found out the TRUTH. He was not kicked out of orientation for tickets. Seems he failed to tell us about the 2 misdemeaner assualt convictions and the current probation for "theft of freight". However, I still bet he will be telling everyone that JB hunt sucks and we kicked him out of orientation for just one speeding ticket.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I have a hard time believing that any driver doesnt know why they are turned down for a job. Hell, just by reading your posts we all know why you were turned down....driving record.
Earlier I got off the phone with a driver. He was angry with JB Hunt. It seems we had him in orientation back in Nov and sent him home. I asked him why we sent him home. He swore to me that we sent him home for 1 ticket he had. And that was the only ticket he had on his MVR. Well, that didnt seem right to me. We allow three tickets. Surely a mistake was made and with a little work clearing this up and a few apologies to this driver, I might be able to get him back into orientation. So I spent next hour trying to figure out what happened. MVRs, Criminal Records..ect, are priveliged information and not avail for recruiters to look at over here, so I had to go through the proper channels. Well after phone calls to safety and investigations, I found out the TRUTH. He was not kicked out of orientation for tickets. Seems he failed to tell us about the 2 misdemeaner assualt convictions and the current probation for "theft of freight". However, I still bet he will be telling everyone that JB hunt sucks and we kicked him out of orientation for just one speeding ticket.
Priceless!!! LOL!!!! There is a strange thing going on in this country where it seems that the cause of one's problems ALWAYS come from "without" rather than from "within". Trucking seems to be full of em!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Thanks for calling me funny guy :lol:
Ya gives credit where credit's due.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Hell, just by reading your posts we all know why you were turned down....driving record.
Is it a problem with being able to read/comprehend English or what?? Can you understand that their safety department had already signed off (i.e., APPROVED) me for hire?
As for why they wouldn't hire me, As I said, they would not disclose the reason. Their safety department, having already seen everything that I have done (both in the driving and felony/misdemeanor categories) approved me. They wouldn't say this, but, my suspicion is that the felony (now 18.5 yrs ago) offended someone higher up. BUT, I have no way to verify that. And, to me, it really doesn't matter the reason. It's the principle. I am not proud of my stupid past, but, to have to pay for it until I die totally sux and these holier-than-thou's can kiss where the sun don't shine, especially since they very likely sit real near the front of their respective churches in order to be seen as very pious folk. They should practice what they hear each Sunday and I would have no problem getting hired.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: USA Truck - AVOID IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
IF I had a third party who had witnessed these things they told me, I would sue their butts off for breach of contract, but, as these conversations took place on the phone and no written communication was sent to me, I am screwed.
Breech of what contract? Them saying that they will hire you (contingent on physical, drug screening, etc) is not a contract. Even if they sent you a "pre-hire" letter, that still is not a contract.
If I come to your house and say I'll fix your roof for you and you agree to let me fix it, with, or without, any written agreement, that is still a contract. IF I don't fix it well, or leave the job half done, then you could, based on our oral agreement, sue me for breach of contract. AND, in all likelihood, you would win the suit. All that is required for anything to be legally considered a contract is the agreement of both parties that X will occur, with obligations ensuing on your part and that of the other party.
you're absolutely correct when you state that if we had an oral agreement for you to provide a service for "X" amount of compensation and you fail to provide said service as agreed upon, (you started but did not finish or honor the agreement) then yes it is a breech of contract.

But agreeing to provide a "service" and agreeing to provide "employment" based on certain contingencies.... ARE NOT the same. Failure to hire you is NOT a breech of contract because there was no contract to break.

You do not have to believe me or anyone else on here. Contact an attorney that provides a free consultation and tell him your story and see if you have a case. I am willing to bet the answer will be NO.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Calling a potential offer of employment a "contract" is a stretch.
An oral agreement is as binding as a written one. As far as it being a "stretch", I am going by the exact words used by the recruiter.
An oral agreement is as good as the paper its written on. They made no contract to hire you. You just think they did.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

If I come to your house and say I'll fix your roof for you and you agree to let me fix it, with, or without, any written agreement, that is still a contract. IF I don't fix it well, or leave the job half done, then you could, based on our oral agreement, sue me for breach of contract. AND, in all likelihood, you would win the suit. All that is required for anything to be legally considered a contract is the agreement of both parties that X will occur, with obligations ensuing on your part and that of the other party.
An oral contract is your word against their word. It means nothing in a court of law. Unless it's on paper it's worthless. It's impossible to enforce any oral contract because it again comes back to your word against theirs.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Aw heck, Palerider, just move on. I agree with Rev's first post. They could have bussed you down to Van Buren, AR or wherever their orientation is, and broke the news to you there. At least they let you know before you wasted the trip and your time.

I'd probably be a little ticked and wanting an explanation also, but truthfully you'll probably never get it. Too many fish in the sea to worry about USA Truck.

Plus you now know that JB will take you cause you have less than 3 moving violations and your felony is over 5 years old. Probably a better outfit than USA anyway. Just send Sheepdancer a PM and I'm sure he'll help you out, right Sheep? Sheep?......Bueller?.......Anybody?........Dang, now we lost him too....
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

If possible, it's best to avoid ALL the McMega carriers. They'll all rip you off, the only question being "how much"?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
If possible, it's best to avoid ALL the McMega carriers. They'll all rip you off, the only question being "how much"?
Got something to back this statement up? Anything? Yeah, thought not... :roll:

The truth is that there are plenty of happy drivers at every company who don't feel they were "ripped off".

Just out of curiousity Frosty, who did you run OTR for? We're did you get your first shot in trucking? I'm just curious because obviously you got a bad deal and I may want to avoid them.