Default Icky_

Some people just can't take a hint. BOL
Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

To be honest with you, I would choose swift. Just put in a year or 2 with no tickets or accidents and you will have have a very strong starting point to bargain with when you choose to go with another company.

Your first year will suck! I started with swift in 04 after taking 4 years off to work at a refinery after driving with May trucking. And I knew what to expect this time, and it was still irritating. I had alot of drop and hook when I was there and was dispatched everywhere. Their computer set is amazing, do my detriment , I had only enough hours to do a 200 load, and that damn thing found me a load. I wanted to go to bed.

They do have forced dispatch, and that is one of the reasons I left. you also might consider Knight Transportation. They only require 4 months experience. Go to swift or prime or however for 4 months and if you don't like them go to knight for a few years to build up some stability on your resume. Knight is non-forced dispatch and much more driver friendly than swift or prime, depending on which terminal you are out of.

You should also think of getting your cdl through a school outside of whatever company you choose to start with, unless you are committed to staying for the duration of the payoff for your training. I can't remember what swift period was, I think it was a year, but am not sure.

There is a prime terminal in SLC down the street from my LTL job, and there are a large number of smashed trucks in that yard. Don't know if it's their accidents investigation area or what, but they park the damn things right next to the side of the road and everyone going by can see them. They always have an add in the paper for $835-$1245 a week, but still have a yard full of trucks, but then again this is the reefer division too.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll try to do some research for you, or continue posting here at CAD. You will find a great many brilliant posts and posters who would love to help you.

You've chosen a fantastic career! But that's my opinion :twisted:
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
& i dont wanna start @ swift Prime trucks & trailors look better then swifts

Sounds to me like you're not really looking at what's important, you're basing your analysis between Swift and Prime on who has the shinier Freighliner Columbia/Century, c'mon man, they're the same truck, prime's are just a little more "show and go", but a nicer truck doesn't always pay the bills and keep the drivers happy, doesn't sound to me like you're here to take the advice of others, and if that's the case, good luck to you in being successful in this industry.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Board Regular

just learning how to use the "quote" feature, sorry.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky_
All i found on the was lawsuit's not trying 2 be a D!ck here or anything but gotta start sumwhere & i dont wanna start @ swift Prime trucks & trailors look better then swifts but ive found out no madder who anyone pick's theres is pro's & cons about every trucking company out there like i said all ive found is people B!tching about there leasing programs
read between the lines dude everyone is telling you to stay away from prime. but hey "everyone needs to start somewhere" and with your attitude and ability to listen I'm sure you'll do great in this business. my only ? is why would you put in an application to a company without researching them? good luck!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Rookie
Default mm

:roll: You sound like 1 of them SUPER TRUCKERS who thinks his sh!t dont stink I did go to swifts oretation 26 cpm & 10 weeks w/ a trainor didnt appel to me as far a putting in a app's, b4 Researching a company I put alot of apps in and I was askin how this company was but there Isn't a whole lotta sh!t out there for sum1 who already has there CDL & no OTR Exp, but 4 years of local exp, This grain & dumpbox sh!t Isn't paying the bills madder of fact I hav'nt worked in alomst 3 weeks so I gotta do sumthing so I was asking about PRIME b4 I took off for there................Atleast it will pay the bills and I'll get my OTR Exp,
Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Take the leap and come back here let us know how its going. :moose:
Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 AM
Rookie
Default k

I will man i gotta do sumthing i got everything around me falling in House, car , everything is falling threw @ once so i gotta make a move
Old 02-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: k

Quote:
I will man i gotta do sumthing i got everything around me falling in House, car , everything is falling threw @ once so i gotta make a move
I hear ya got laid off from local job so im going back otr. with ?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: mm

Quote:
:roll: You sound like 1 of them SUPER TRUCKERS who thinks his sh!t dont stink I did go to swifts oretation 26 cpm & 10 weeks w/ a trainor didnt appel to me as far a putting in a app's, b4 Researching a company I put alot of apps in and I was askin how this company was but there Isn't a whole lotta sh!t out there for sum1 who already has there CDL & no OTR Exp, but 4 years of local exp, This grain & dumpbox sh!t Isn't paying the bills madder of fact I hav'nt worked in alomst 3 weeks so I gotta do sumthing so I was asking about PRIME b4 I took off for there................Atleast it will pay the bills and I'll get my OTR Exp,
You asked about Prime and you got answers. Obviously not what you wanted to hear. Prime has a bad reputation right up there with CR England. People have warned you, now go do what you want. Look at their website, all it talks about is leasing. They hardly even mention anything about being a company driver. Another thing with these lease companies is that lease operators get the miles before company drivers. Something to think about. Yeah, they may pay a little better, but if you loose miles to the lease operator, then does it really matter?

Swift says you only have to go out 6 weeks with a trainer, not 10. Good luck and do keep us posted, even if it doesn't work out so that other newbies can know if it's a decent outfit for company drivers.