User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift - Crete - or Maverick..?

I just recently graduated from ROADMASTER Truck Driving School and plan on doing flatbed and was wondering which of these companies have good pay and home time..? I would like 2,500 miles a week...

Old 02-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Swift, by a long shot!!! NOT!!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 PM

From what I understand, Maverick will get you homeevery weekend. Good luck
Old 02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Swift, by a long shot!!! NOT!!
Why would you make a statement you can't backup? The Swift drivers I've been talking to over the last 3 months are running between 2500 and 3000 a week. When most others on this board are crying about sitting still and slow freight the drivers at Swift seem to be busy. Do you have some facts that prove the Swift drivers are not getting 2500 miles @ week as the poster asked?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Board Regular

Hello New Driver!

Here's more helpful advice. My first year was with Werner so I know what I'm talkin about. As a student from Roadmaster, which is how I got my start too, you can hire on anywhere. You'll get treated about the same regardless of the company you pick, some are a little worse than others. Stay with the same company for a year, love it or hate it, before you choose the second big mistake to work for. Learn from what the company does wrong. I DO recommend CFI, the company I work for, to be your first, best choice. You can see a link to my Website below on my signature. Call me if you have concerns. My father has been with CFI over 11 years and was a trainer until I called him this week and asked to drive team with him. He has 30 plus years on the road. CFI has just a 17% turnover rate of drivers counting all drivers that stay longer than 1 year. From new hires to 1 year, the turnover rate is close to normal for most companies. I recommend that you start with the best which is CFI, if you leave and find out for yourself how terrible other companies are, make sure you can get hired back.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION!!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Do you have some facts that prove the Swift drivers are not getting 2500 miles @ week as the poster asked?

The Swift drivers that I have talked to (as recently as yesterday afternoon!!) are telling me that they are getting more like 2300-2400 on average; 2500 is a good week for them!! In terms of CPM, Swift falls short on that count as well.

In any event, of the three companies mentioned, Swift, Crete, or Maverick, I think that Swift would be #3 on that particular list!!

Nevada Jim, I like you and everything, don't get me wrong here; but since you do not even drive for a living yet, you might want to learn to hold your fire just a little bit.

One of my offices is located not far from The Swift/Central Terminal in San Antonio, and in very cose proximity to the truck stops on IH 10. I do frequently have occassion to talk not only with Swift drivers, with drivers of different companies as well.

I wouldn't make that kind of statement without having done a little bit of research!!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Piece Of Work"] I recommend that you start with the best which is CFI, if you leave and find out for yourself how terrible other companies are, make sure you can get hired back.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION!!

Hello, P.O.W.!!!

Where have you been?? Ol' "SheepDancer" is most likely going to be throwing another fit, claiming that you are a recruiter. Remember last time??? He threatened you with War!!

Anyway, it's good to hear from you!![/
quote]
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Swift - Crete - or Maverick..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKEYE_TAI
I just recently graduated from ROADMASTER Truck Driving School and plan on doing flatbed and was wondering which of these companies have good pay and home time..? I would like 2,500 miles a week...
Well, I dont know a lot about Crete's, or Joe Bob's skateboard division, but if it were me, I would go with Maverick. I havent worked for them, but there are several Maverick drivers here on the message board, and they all seem to be happy with Maverick. There are also, several threads concerning, Maverick..

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Do you have some facts that prove the Swift drivers are not getting 2500 miles @ week as the poster asked?

The Swift drivers that I have talked to (as recently as yesterday afternoon!!) are telling me that they are getting more like 2300-2400 on average; 2500 is a good week for them!! In terms of CPM, Swift falls short on that count as well.

In any event, of the three companies mentioned, Swift, Crete, or Maverick, I think that Swift would be #3 on that particular list!!

Nevada Jim, I like you and everything, don't get me wrong here; but since you do not even drive for a living yet, you might want to learn to hold your fire just a little bit.

One of my offices is located not far from The Swift/Central Terminal in San Antonio, and in very cose proximity to the truck stops on IH 10. I do frequently have occassion to talk not only with Swift drivers, with drivers of different companies as well.

I wouldn't make that kind of statement without having done a little bit of research!!
A little confliction with your previous statement. You previously said NOT and now you say YES. I guess after seeing your first response I was after some hard facts as to how you came about saying NOT. If it's simply hearsay it would be good to know. If it's factual that would be even better to know. Oh, and you currently drive for who?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="NevadaJim"]

A little confliction with your previous statement. You previously said NOT and now you say YES. I guess after seeing your first response I was after some hard facts as to how you came about saying NOT.

As far as the issue of conflict is concerned, I don't know where you are getting that!!

What is it that you perceive that I said "Not" to, and where has this supposes shift to an affirmative ("Yes") taken place?? You have me a bit confused here!!

If it's simply hearsay it would be good to know. If it's factual that would be even better to know.

Here say?? Perhaps!! I was interviewing two drivers who currently drive for "Swift", and I'll be following up on background checks early next week. The two Swift drivers that I interviewed, as well as some other Swift drivers quoted an average weekly mileage of 2300-2400 miles per week; they said that getting 2500 miles per week was considered good miles, but that they do not average that many miles per week.

I have been spending some time at the truck stops talking to drivers for Swift, and other companies as well. Does that constitute "hearsay"??

As far as who I drive for?? I don't drive for anyone anymore. I work for myself. Among other business interest, our latest venture has involved aquiring a minority interest in a truck mounted crane leasing company. My involvement does not involve the day to day operation; My Wife and I do support them consulting services in the areas of HR, and Benefits Planning, and I provide consulting in the area of Cash Flow Management as well. I didn't get where I am today by without being able to sift through the B.S.