User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Swift - Crete - or Maverick..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKEYE_TAI
I just recently graduated from ROADMASTER Truck Driving School and plan on doing flatbed and was wondering which of these companies have good pay and home time..? I would like 2,500 miles a week...

Well I know Crete and the problem is they won't hire you straight from Roadmaster...You have go to a PTDI credited school and Roadmaster is not....however if you stick with "a" company for at least 4 mos. you would have enough exp. to be considered. The reason for this is we have higher standards and we don't take just anyone, sutdent or otherwise. We have no problems getting the miles we average (my husband does solo) he gets 2800 miles and we have over 30 different typs of run for every individual that wants to work on the west coast, the east coast, the dedicated, or the regional...We have no problem getting you home.

Good Luck
Keep on Trucking...
Old 02-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Swift, by a long shot!!! NOT!!
Why would you make a statement you can't backup? The Swift drivers I've been talking to over the last 3 months are running between 2500 and 3000 a week. When most others on this board are crying about sitting still and slow freight the drivers at Swift seem to be busy. Do you have some facts that prove the Swift drivers are not getting 2500 miles @ week as the poster asked?
We Mavericks are spoiled and are used to getting loads as soon as we put in an empty call. If you saw any of us gripe about it being slow, its only because we might have had to wait 2 hrs for our next load. I have yet to wait more than 15 minutes for a load. Oh, and if you want the whole jist of it, I think swift pays .27 cpm or something close to that. So, to equal his pay for 2500 miles, Id have to run 1730 miles. Oh, I might add that I have yet to have less than 1900 miles. Im not dogging anybody for driving for anyone. But if you are going to pay me .27 cpm you better treat me like platnum and spoil me in other ways, like, hmm two weeks paid vacation first yr, choice of loads, hmm... free room and board in a motel every night Im out..... free medical insurance, 401k match $ for $. Pension plan, Ill stop there I could go on for a while
Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Rookie

I wouldn't drive for swift at all. I'd go to JB first. But Im looking to go and drive for Maverick.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Swift, by a long shot!!! NOT!!
Why would you make a statement you can't backup? The Swift drivers I've been talking to over the last 3 months are running between 2500 and 3000 a week. When most others on this board are crying about sitting still and slow freight the drivers at Swift seem to be busy. Do you have some facts that prove the Swift drivers are not getting 2500 miles @ week as the poster asked?
We Mavericks are spoiled and are used to getting loads as soon as we put in an empty call. If you saw any of us gripe about it being slow, its only because we might have had to wait 2 hrs for our next load. I have yet to wait more than 15 minutes for a load. Oh, and if you want the whole jist of it, I think swift pays .27 cpm or something close to that. So, to equal his pay for 2500 miles, Id have to run 1730 miles. Oh, I might add that I have yet to have less than 1900 miles. Im not dogging anybody for driving for anyone. But if you are going to pay me .27 cpm you better treat me like platnum and spoil me in other ways, like, hmm two weeks paid vacation first yr, choice of loads, hmm... free room and board in a motel every night Im out..... free medical insurance, 401k match $ for $. Pension plan, Ill stop there I could go on for a while
I agree with stevedb28. Unless your record prevents better employment and you MUST go with Swift, Maverick (or TMC for that matter) offer a FAR better deal.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Board Regular

I think the information from this forum has been very helpful to me, and so many others looking to enter into trucking.
Despite all the less than positive comments, and opinions that have been posted about Swift, I personally take them with a grain of salt.
The few driver's that have expressed there opinion of Swift are but the tip of the iceberg in a rank that numbers upwards of 16000 men, and women.
In my opinion, it would be irresponsible to say that Swift is a horrible company without interviewing all the driver's. If after all the data is compiled, and points towards a majority of people saying that Swift is a horrible company. Then, and only then will any of you nay Sayer's be accurate in your belief that Swift is a horrible company.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter
I think the information from this forum has been very helpful to me, and so many others looking to enter into trucking.
Despite all the less than positive comments, and opinions that have been posted about Swift, I personally take them with a grain of salt.
The few driver's that have expressed there opinion of Swift are but the tip of the iceberg in a rank that numbers upwards of 16000 men, and women.
In my opinion, it would be irresponsible to say that Swift is a horrible company without interviewing all the driver's. If after all the data is compiled, and points towards a majority of people saying that Swift is a horrible company. Then, and only then will any of you nay Sayer's be accurate in your belief that Swift is a horrible company.
I kinda agree. The reason is this the majority of Swft driver's I've come in contact with were less than professinal, and a very good portion of the accedents in the area I drive have been Swift trucks. Are all Swift driver's bad? Well of course not. But Swift seems to have a more relaxed hiring policy. You hear it quite often "No one would hire me except Swift" Looking back on your post your really are correct. But life is based of experience,and mine be it a short one. Swift isnt really a first choice kinda place.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Ok go interview each and evey swift driver out there, and have fun doing it. Obvious fact is noooo matter how good they are, they pay a starting pay of at least 8 cpm less than what I started out for. And I bet I get 80 times more respect as a Maverick than as a swifty from other drivers (especially) and the company. I get asked ?s almost everyday out there on the road about driving for Maverick asking me if its as good as it seems. TMC Im sure gets asked the same. So, I dont give a $h!t about how horrible or good swift is, why? Because I make a he!! of a lot more money and I know Im a lot happier right here where Im at. Ohhh did I mention that I went to school with Maverick and only had to stay 6 months to call it even swift 2 yrs. Oh, and did I mention I am home EVERY WEEKEND. Oh and did I mention I GET PAID BETTER. Oh and did I mention that Maverick has a fuel bonus.

So go do your interviews just to learn the obvious, and that is there is way better out there unless you are a felon. I bet you go to swift just to prove to every frickin one here how happy they can make you. Go fer it dude, best of luck with that :lol:
Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Board Regular

swift is hauling cheaper thats why people are
anti swift. they use economies of scale and train almost all new drivers all the time.
if you dont want to work cheaper once you get some experience you should leave swift and get a better paying job. people have lost good paying jobs because it is cheaper for their company to let swift haul it
Old 03-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
All I can say is go and read the thread started by Spencerian a while back. He wanted to drive for CR England and no amount of negative information he received was going to deter him. Well, his career with England lasted about two months. At that point he realized he was being told the truth. What amazes me is why bother even coming here if you are not going to take to heart the advice being given? Just throw a dart at the Sunday classifieds and pick whatever company gets hit if that's the case. Swift was the first company I ever drove for. I never had a week over 2200 miles. Usually it was more like 1700 to 1900. There are worse companies out there but not many.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Board Regular

I'm glad you get that fuel bonus, I'm glad you get home every weekend, I'm glad you like Maverick, and I'm really glad you like where your at.
So, were you born a super trucker, or did you have to start out a newbie like most other people?

News flash, not everyone can fork out thousands of dollars to get a CDL and go drive for a Maverick, or a Crete, or Interstate. Anymore, all it takes is one bad mark on your driving record to make it so that less fortunate people who want to make a living for there families, have to look at the so called mega carriers.

As for me, Who I decide to go with is 100% my choice. Just like it was your choice to go to Maverick.
Since I have a CDL already, I don't owe anyone 6 months, or a year. And for your information, it's a year commitment from Swift, not 2 years.
Although I can pretty much go to a long list of companies, I chose to go to Swift, not to prove the super truckers out there wrong. But, because I have a friend who's going there, and we're gonna team after orientation.
Since I have not worked for Swift, I can't say if there good, or bad. Even if I did work for them, my OPINION would be 1 out of 16000.

So, if you want to spend the time conducting interviews? be my guest!
I've got better things to do with my time.