User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
apu.. is that auxilliary power unit? a device that lets you heat & cool without running the truck engine?.

Yep, you got it. Several different types and manufacturers on the market now. Some are battery powered, but most have a 2 cylinder diesel engine, a generator or large inverter and seperate a/c and heat for the cab.

When compared to using Idle Air, I believe investing in an APU is much better because it can be used anywhere just not a truckstop that has Idle Air.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
I don't know much about the O/O side of things , I'm a company man all the way . Say an O/O grossed 130k a year , how much would he usually take home on avg. at the end of the year ? 40%? 50%? more ?

I talked to a driver and he said he took home 70% of his total gross , but he had a low truck payment , is that possible ?
If the equipment is paid for, many work cheap. However, I've yet to meet a driver who had a truck that lasted forever! I retain LESS than 40% of my gross, but its higher than 70% gross of MANY o/o's out there. Equipment must be replaced eventually, and money must be set aside for the costs of doing business. So, ideally, one could make a good living if they neglect to plan for the future :wink:
Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Called a few companies.....can't believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kips41
Quit OTR in Oct '06 to deal with wife's serious health issue...doing ok now so going to go back OTR, thought I would call some companies before just going back to my old company of 8 yrs.

Very disappointed, found this about some companies:

We don't pay for scale tickets

We don't pay for trailer wash outs---large reefer company

We don't pay for Ohio toll road.

We don't pay for lumpers

Also called the highly recommended Crete from the forum and was told by the recruiter that I can have 5 DAYS of vacation after a year, not a week but 5 DAYS and it includes weekends.......gotta be kidding. Either she was an idiot or this is not a very family friendly company....I don't care how much they pay.

Going to call some more tomorrow just to see what I am told....it is getting funny now.

So I guess it is back to the old company....did not know how happy and spoiled I was !!!!!!!
Ok so your complaining that is only 5 days???? you should be lucky your getting any vacation pay!!! Not alot a companies offer that and...
We pay for Ohio tolls
We pay for Lumpers
We pay for scale tickets
and We pay for exterior truck washing with trailer once every month!
We also don't charge for a rider program
We also don't charge for a pet or pose weight limits
And honestly if you work for a company that says they pay you for "one" week of vacation they only pay for 5 days that,... "five" working days since you are obligated to take a mandatory 2 days off in most jobs...like a desk type job...9-5 M-F....so really what are you losing???

Just had to share my 2 cents
Good Luck
Old 02-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyAnn
And honestly if you work for a company that says they pay you for "one" week of vacation they only pay for 5 days that,... "five" working days since you are obligated to take a mandatory 2 days off in most jobs...like a desk type job...9-5 M-F....so really what are you losing???
Sorry that you missed the point. It is not that they are paying for 5 days , It is that they are considering 5 DAYS OFF AS A WEEK'S VACATION.

Most people I know consider as week as 7 days.

Bottom line what Crete is doing is you are not going to stay out 18 days and earn 3 days off and add that to a week (7 days) to have 10 days off with a week's pay in there. You have to use 2 earned days combined with 5 vacation days for your week. That is what their recruiter told me.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

ok, i have been reading stuff here for about 2 or 3 weeks now and i think i can find the same arguments on the CB. Are you a bonehead or what?? a normal workweek is 5 days. A company is not going to have 2 handbooks for drivers and one for office. if you do not like the vacation policy, go work somewhere else. 1 weekend off followed by 5 paid vacation days, followed by another weekend is, what?? 9 days off? If you worked in an office this would be a vacation, since you work in a truck just take the 5 paid days and request not to work the weekends on both sides...problem solved. or you can go get a desk job and quit your bitchin.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Rookie

:shock: YIKES :shock: :!: :!:
Old 02-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Default re

Quote:
ok, i have been reading stuff here for about 2 or 3 weeks now and i think i can find the same arguments on the CB. Are you a bonehead or what?? a normal workweek is 5 days. A company is not going to have 2 handbooks for drivers and one for office. if you do not like the vacation policy, go work somewhere else. 1 weekend off followed by 5 paid vacation days, followed by another weekend is, what?? 9 days off? If you worked in an office this would be a vacation, since you work in a truck just take the 5 paid days and request not to work the weekends on both sides...problem solved. or you can go get a desk job and quit your bitchin.
for someone new you didn't mince any words did ya?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
You must have a problem reading and comprehending what the posts have been on this topic. Might want to read the entire thread before you runneth at the keyboard.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 AM

what did i miss?? are you or are you not complaining about nothing?? who gives a sh**, take it or leave it. or if you complain enough it is not your problem, those damn companie keep f****** ya don' they
Old 02-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
what did i miss?? are you or are you not complaining about nothing?? who gives a sh**, take it or leave it. or if you complain enough it is not your problem, those damn companie keep f****** ya don' they
Ok, since you are a steering wheel holder let me spell it out for ya.

All of the comments are about companies that I called to see what they had to offer.

The grip I had about Crete is that they give you 5 days for a weeks vacation. Where as every other company I know of gives 7 days.

Therefore if you want the week and the weekends before and after you will have to stay out long enough to have enough earned days off to combine with the 5 vacation days.

Now maybe you can understand and quit being so anal.