User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

An O/O with a 401K......I am getting out the hip waders now it is getting deep. Sounds more like a lease operator, I put O/O's in high regard, those folks have the courage to have their own authority and their own customers.

What movtivates someone to go buy a 100k plus truck, and LEASE it to a company for 90 cents a mile and not make anything but drivers' wages at the end of the year. Hell, most of the O/O's out there are riding around on tires so slick they look like a nascar tire and are bumming a cig off a company driver at the dock to boot.

I don't see why it's so hard to believe that I have a 401k. I've had it for almost 7 years. The guy I drive for owns 8 trucks and has them leased on to 3 companies. The owner himself drives one of them. I take my dispatch from OIX but get paid directly by the owner of the truck, which is also where my benefits come from. OIX has nothing to do with the truck I drive other than putting a load on it. My truck ain't new but it's new enough and well maintained. 90 cpm??? No doubt you would go broke pretty fast at that rate. Costs almost that much to operate before paying the driver.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Board Regular

alot of these big companies might like the turnover.a driver that needs experience might stay in the truck 26 or 27 days a month.their health insurance is probably cheaper too if their drivers are all young and they get new ones before they get too sick.they got all the angles covered.you quit before your paid vacation come up too!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kips41
FlybyNight:

Missing the point, a weeks vacation is not 5 days, it is a week. Spend a year ridin' and guide'n and get 5 days. You can't even go on a decent vacation, family is a hell of alot more important than that. Not willing to see if some manager is going to give a couple of extra days.

Old company is KLLM, made 68K in '05. Took off 1 week for kidney stones, 2 weeks for hurricane and 3 weeks vacation. Either run 3 wks and take 4-6 days or run 6 wks and take off 6-8 days. They are alot more driver/family friendly when it comes to time off. In fact their policy is" frequent home time"..work with each driver as some take hardly anytime and others need / want more.
Kips. Everyone has their OWN definition of how "employee friendly" a company is. In your particular case, it seems that KLLM was a perfect fit for you and your needs. While, maybe not for the next guy, KLLM seems to have been a good thing for you. Why not renew the working relationship that you had with KLLM? Hope it works out.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
That's not what the recruiter at CR England told me!!
Shame on you Useless! ops: The very thought that you would question a CR England recruiter is unforgiveable. I think that the "gods of CAD" message board should be petitioned and you be sentenced back to "rookie" status along with yours truly. :lol:
Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
That's not what the recruiter at CR England told me!!
Shame on you Useless! ops: The very thought that you would question a CR England recruiter is unforgiveable. I think that the "gods of CAD" message board should be petitioned and you be sentenced back to "rookie" status along with yours truly. :lol:
You leave Useless alone, or I will kick you with my GOOD leg, I know where you LIVE....lol Why are you not working like a good little boy, this area is for the grown ups!!!! Don't let me tell you AGAIN.....lol :P :P
Old 02-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
FlybyNight:

Missing the point, a weeks vacation is not 5 days, it is a week. Spend a year ridin' and guide'n and get 5 days. You can't even go on a decent vacation, family is a hell of alot more important than that. Not willing to see if some manager is going to give a couple of extra days.

Old company is KLLM, made 68K in '05. Took off 1 week for kidney stones, 2 weeks for hurricane and 3 weeks vacation. Either run 3 wks and take 4-6 days or run 6 wks and take off 6-8 days. They are alot more driver/family friendly when it comes to time off. In fact their policy is" frequent home time"..work with each driver as some take hardly anytime and others need / want more.
Kips. Everyone has their OWN definition of how "employee friendly" a company is. In your particular case, it seems that KLLM was a perfect fit for you and your needs. While, maybe not for the next guy, KLLM seems to have been a good thing for you. Why not renew the working relationship that you had with KLLM? Hope it works out.
Your are right and 99% that I will go back there.....having that relationship is worth alot.......you always wonder about "greener pastures"
But the point of the thread was after calling some of these companies was I can't believe how can they get drivers when they are so shameless in how they treat them.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
But the point of the thread was after calling some of these companies was I can't believe how can they get drivers when they are so shameless in how they treat them.
What bothered me was that you attempted to lump Crete in as one of those companies, while KLLM doesn't even come close to Crete when compared head to head and very few companies do IMO. My point is this, it all comes down to where a driver feels their own personal needs/wants are being best met and they feel most content and respected. If KLLM's pay, benefits, home time and equipment met your needs/wants, they gave you plenty of miles and you felt content and respected, it baffles me as to why you ever left. :?

Wherever you end up, Good luck!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Board Regular

I don't know much about the O/O side of things , I'm a company man all the way . Say an O/O grossed 130k a year , how much would he usually take home on avg. at the end of the year ? 40%? 50%? more ?

I talked to a driver and he said he took home 70% of his total gross , but he had a low truck payment , is that possible ?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:22 PM

Kips has a good point. A paid vacation should be based on the employee's work week. As an OTR driver, that is 7 days a week for most companies, such as Crete.

Instead, Crete's policy is based on the office staff, for all employees. And if you look at the company webpage, under driver benefits, all it says is paid vacation for the driver.

It would appear the webmaster knows the policy is not a good recruiting tool.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
Quote:
What bothered me was that you attempted to lump Crete in as one of those companies, while KLLM doesn't even come close to Crete when compared head to head and very few companies do IMO. My point is this, it all comes down to where a driver feels their own personal needs/wants are being best met and they feel most content and respected. If KLLM's pay, benefits, home time and equipment met your needs/wants, they gave you plenty of miles and you felt content and respected, it baffles me as to why you ever left. :?

Wherever you end up, Good luck!

You need to go read my original post. I stopped driving OTR to take care of my wife who has a very serious health issue.

Second, I did not just lump Crete in, rather had a very specific issue with their vacation policy. Crete is viewed as not being very good in the hometime department and their vacation policy seems to provide support to the comments that I have heard and read on this.

In addtion when you look at their safestat numbers on the Drivers SEA they are worse than JB, Schneider and most all of the big companies their size. And on the vehicle SEA they are just average.