User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
I don't know much about the O/O side of things , I'm a company man all the way . Say an O/O grossed 130k a year , how much would he usually take home on avg. at the end of the year ? 40%? 50%? more ?

I talked to a driver and he said he took home 70% of his total gross , but he had a low truck payment , is that possible ?
Depends on what his rate per mile is, but for the average joe leased on to a company fuel alone is about 22%-25% of revenue and then you still have a truck payment, insurance, taxes, upkeep , tires etc.

The really good o/o's that I have ever talked to have monthy P&L statments on their business/truck and can tell you exactly what their costs are by the dollar amount and %%.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kips41
You need to go read my original post. I stopped driving OTR to take care of my wife who has a very serious health issue.

Second, I did not just lump Crete in, rather had a very specific issue with their vacation policy. Crete is viewed as not being very good in the hometime department and their vacation policy seems to provide support to the comments that I have heard and read on this.

In addtion when you look at their safestat numbers on the Drivers SEA they are worse than JB, Schneider and most all of the big companies their size. And on the vehicle SEA they are just average.
I read your original post. I find it hard to believe KLLM doesn't allow their drivers to take a leave of absence for situations like yours. :?

I tried to explain to you in my first post on this thread that your issue with Crete's vacation policy is actually a none issue in reality. As far as Crete's home time policy, it's better than most OTR companies in that a driver earns one day off for every six days on as opposed to one day off for every seven days on. :P

I personally don't put a lot of faith or trust in safestat. I find it to be a flawed system and am nowhere near alone in that opinion. They couldn't even get the equation right for PrePass! :roll:
Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
Quote:
You need to go read my original post. I stopped driving OTR to take care of my wife who has a very serious health issue.

Second, I did not just lump Crete in, rather had a very specific issue with their vacation policy. Crete is viewed as not being very good in the hometime department and their vacation policy seems to provide support to the comments that I have heard and read on this.

In addtion when you look at their safestat numbers on the Drivers SEA they are worse than JB, Schneider and most all of the big companies their size. And on the vehicle SEA they are just average.
I read your original post. I find it hard to believe KLLM doesn't allow their drivers to take a leave of absence for situations like yours. :?

I tried to explain to you in my first post on this thread that your issue with Crete's vacation policy is actually a none issue in reality. As far as Crete's home time policy, it's better than most OTR companies in that a driver earns one day off for every six days on as opposed to one day off for every seven days on. :P

I personally don't put a lot of faith or trust in safestat. I find it to be a flawed system and am nowhere near alone in that opinion. They couldn't even get the equation right for PrePass! :roll:
They do have LOA policies, but I have been off the road for almost 5 months. So a LOA would not really apply.

If it is a non issue on the vacation policy then why don't they change it ???

It may be a non issue with your dispatcher or terminal mgr. but I bet with others it is not. Crete counts a week as 7 days when counting days worked so why only 5 days for vacation time???

Plus I don't like that Crete uses opti idle....KLLM has put APU's on all "05 and newer tractors......It is a big plus to have an APU for the 110 outlet, a/c and heat. It is amazing how much money you can save with a microwave / crock pot in the truck. Can really have great fresh cooked meals and eat alot healthier.

In addtion when you look at the pay scale on Crete's website they show that the top 25% wage earners are running 160,000 miles a year, so that is a 3,075 per week average, would be hard to take off much and average that for an entire year.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Board Regular

By the way the difference between a 1 for 7 and 1 for 6 time off policy is only 8 days difference between the two and they take away 2 of those with their 5 day vacation policy.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
If it is a non issue on the vacation policy then why don't they change it ???
I would think it obvious that I have no insight as to why they don't change it, because I'm a driver for them, not an office worker. However, Bill Wisell in recruiting may be able to give you the answer.

Quote:
It may be a non issue with your dispatcher or terminal mgr. but I bet with others it is not. Crete counts a week as 7 days when counting days worked so why only 5 days for vacation time???
I think you're assuming a lot here, but I'll refer this one to Bill as well for the same reasons I stated above.

Quote:
Plus I don't like that Crete uses opti idle....KLLM has put APU's on all "05 and newer tractors......It is a big plus to have an APU for the 110 outlet, a/c and heat. It is amazing how much money you can save with a microwave / crock pot in the truck. Can really have great fresh cooked meals and eat alot healthier.
I've heard from what I consider to be a reliable source that Crete will be using APUs in the not so distant future. You can already get one on a the truck you purchase through Crete.

Quote:
In addtion when you look at the pay scale on Crete's website they show that the top 25% wage earners are running 160,000 miles a year, so that is a 3,075 per week average, would be hard to take off much and average that for an entire year.
I don't care how much one loves to drive, the bottom line is we're all out here for one reason and that's to make money. I also don't much care how much the top 25% of Crete's drivers average. I'm more concerned with what the majority of Crete's drivers average and I haven't the slightest doubt in my mind it's a lot more than what the majority of KLLM's drivers average.

Quote:
By the way the difference between a 1 for 7 and 1 for 6 time off policy is only 8 days difference between the two and they take away 2 of those with their 5 day vacation policy.
I know I'm stating the obvious here, but it's impossible to make any money as an OTR truck driver if you're always at home. Besides, I've already stated that as long as your miles are there it isn't a big deal to ask for more time off. I already get through the house twice as much with Crete as I ever did with the other companies I drove for.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNight
I would think it obvious that I have no insight as to why they don't change it, because I'm a driver for them, not an office worker. However, Bill Wisell in recruiting may be able to give you the answer
Since you have only worked for them since May and have not yet earned a vacation you don't have first hand experience in their 5 day equals a week vacation policy??? Companies have policies because they tend to enforce them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNight
I've heard from what I consider to be a reliable source that Crete will be using APUs in the not so distant future. You can already get one on a the truck you purchase through Crete.
KLLM had the insight over 2 years ago to see the benefit to both the driver and the company to use APU's

KLLM also does alot of extra programs for their drivers including driver championships.....just in "06 the company sent 2 drivers to the national championships.

Now while Crete no doubt is a decent company they don't have a staff of recruiters and people doing orientations for nothing. With 8 years and over a million accident free miles I had a great run with them....hope that you have the same with Crete.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member

if you do it right & things work out for you. you can do great being an o/o. i leave out sun at noon back & done for the week mon 8 p.m. approx 28-30 hours. that gives me 1900 gross. when i want to i'll do 2 rounds in a week for 35-3700 bucks depending on weight. or i can be home every night do a 100 mi radius 9 hours a day 5 days a week for 1800 gross. plus i never have to ask for a day off & i dont go where i dont want to. i bought a inexpensive but dependable truck. paid cash for it & trailer. after over 7 years, still in same truck.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Since you have only worked for them since May and have not yet earned a vacation you don't have first hand experience in their 5 day equals a week vacation policy??? Companies have policies because they tend to enforce them.
True, but I do regularly get more home time simply because I work with my boss and dispatch. I see no reason why that would change when I decide to use my vacation time.

Quote:
KLLM had the insight over 2 years ago to see the benefit to both the driver and the company to use APU's
I'm not sure for exactly how long, but I know Crete's been testing various models for quite some time. I think they want to stick with Opti-Idle for as long as they can before switching. Opt-Idle doesn't bother me in the least, because I used to pull reefer. It would be nice to have an APU though.

Quote:
KLLM also does alot of extra programs for their drivers including driver championships.....just in "06 the company sent 2 drivers to the national championships.
I know there were some Crete drivers that went to the state finals, but I have no clue about the nationals. I don't really follow that sort of thing.

Quote:
Now while Crete no doubt is a decent company they don't have a staff of recruiters and people doing orientations for nothing. With 8 years and over a million accident free miles I had a great run with them....hope that you have the same with Crete.
While no trucking company is immune to the current driver turnover, Crete's turnover rate is way below the national average.

Congrats on achieving such a respectable milestone and thanks for wishing me luck in doing the same. I just take it a tenth of a mile at a time trying to keep it between the lines with the rubber side down. :wink:
Old 02-09-2007, 05:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
Quote:
True, but I do regularly get more home time simply because I work with my boss and dispatch. I see no reason why that would change when I decide to use my vacation time.

Quote:
I'm not sure for exactly how long, but I know Crete's been testing various models for quite some time. I think they want to stick with Opti-Idle for as long as they can before switching. Opt-Idle doesn't bother me in the least, because I used to pull reefer. It would be nice to have an APU though.

Quote:
I know there were some Crete drivers that went to the state finals, but I have no clue about the nationals. I don't really follow that sort of thing.

Quote:
While no trucking company is immune to the current driver turnover, Crete's turnover rate is way below the national average.

Congrats on achieving such a respectable milestone and thanks for wishing me luck in doing the same. I just take it a tenth of a mile at a time trying to keep it between the lines with the rubber side down. :wink:

Ok, feeling stupid here, what exactly is an APU? :?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

apu.. is that auxilliary power unit? a device that lets you heat & cool without running the truck engine?.