User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:

""is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work. ""

This is what i was saying as far as how does this driver take a restart and also be responsible for the load at the same time??
Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttruck
Quote:

""is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work. ""

This is what i was saying as far as how does this driver take a restart and also be responsible for the load at the same time??
You cant, you must use reasonable care, but you must dot your I's and cross your T's with what your company will let you do. Record your conversation!!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 AM
Board Regular

scoutlaw.they gonna give me a new truck and trailer.i would not try to sue them over some bonus.i would lose.my reference to financial responsibility refers to what can happen when you lose in court.they can collect from you and likely would if you filed suit over something like that.you could wind up paying their court cost too.my first post stated i would give two weeks notice and find a job situation that would work out regarding getting home and parking.im sure the legal department keeps these companies in business despite drivers having accidents and losses.if you had a serious injury they probably would settle out of court.good luck with the court thing
Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 AM

The dispatcher knowing about it and not having a problem with it is a lot different than the dispatcher taking responsibility for it.

It sucks, but it's what it is and it's not going to change.

If it's stolen at your company's terminal - it's on them. No lawyer's going to take that case - and no company's going to publicly admit their facilities are not secure.

I don't think it will be different at any other company. They'd have to inspect every parking spot drivers wanted to use to assume liability.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
scoutlaw.they gonna give me a new truck and trailer.i would not try to sue them over some bonus.i would lose.my reference to financial responsibility refers to what can happen when you lose in court.they can collect from you and likely would if you filed suit over something like that.you could wind up paying their court cost too.my first post stated i would give two weeks notice and find a job situation that would work out regarding getting home and parking.im sure the legal department keeps these companies in business despite drivers having accidents and losses.if you had a serious injury they probably would settle out of court.good luck with the court thing
If you read my posts, I'm not talking about suing for the bonus.If a dispatcher tells you you may leave the equipment, they take the heat for it. Record your conversations!!!! From your posts it sounds like you have little experience in trucking so far, not that this means anything, meaning you saying you have never driven in snow in a T/T. So lets say they give you that new truck and trailer, you go into the truck stop and shower or whatever and your truck is stolen, are you responsible for payment to the company for their new truck, Why not or why are you. Lets say you have way to much time to run a load and your company tells you to go to the motel, and your trailer is broken into are you going to pay for the loss, if you do, in my opinion you would be a moron for it!
So far you guys are flapping your gums and not answering my questions to you! So answer the questions, so we can continue the debate!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:57 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Well ssoutlaw this time you and i agree! Loss and risk are a part of being in business. The driver took reasonable care short of babysitting the truck all weekend. And any company that expects me to do that can kiss my a$$. He doesnt get paid enough to give up his weekend. The company knew the value of the load and told him it doesnt require tarping. I'm not married to the truck or the company. :dung: happens and he didnt do anything wrong. If he had been on duty and left the truck to get drunk in a bar or something then he was negligent.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, let me jump back on this soapbox for a moment...

We are not talking about leaving a T/T at a truckstop so you can eat, shower, whatever. At least at a truckstop, the T/T being parked are around other trucks, and a less of a chance that someone is going to jack with the load. Hell, we are not even talking about leaving the tractor at all.

What he did is to leave his load out in the open in a parking lot with nothing around it. Why not paint a sign saying "Steal my stuff, PLEASE".

And I'm not buying the idea the company said "go ahead, and leave it there." And no-one else is either. Did the company tell him to leave it there? Maybe. Could he have found another place to put it? Of course.

ssoutlaw, you seem to be defending this driver alot. Do you know this driver? If so, then I understand. Otherwise, I feel that maybe you have personal knowledge of things falling out of the back. So did this happen to you? 30 years in the business, it would be hard to believe that it has not. But does it still happen? One must wonder.......

Still, I don't feel like we are given all of the facts around this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You cant, you must use reasonable care, but you must dot your I's and cross your T's with what your company will let you do. Record your conversation!!
This is your quote, ssoutlaw. And I, for one, don't beleive that reasonable care was given.

Soapbox is now yours.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Well, let me jump back on this soapbox for a moment...

We are not talking about leaving a T/T at a truckstop so you can eat, shower, whatever. At least at a truckstop, the T/T being parked are around other trucks, and a less of a chance that someone is going to jack with the load. Hell, we are not even talking about leaving the tractor at all.

What he did is to leave his load out in the open in a parking lot with nothing around it. Why not paint a sign saying "Steal my stuff, PLEASE".

And I'm not buying the idea the company said "go ahead, and leave it there." And no-one else is either. Did the company tell him to leave it there? Maybe. Could he have found another place to put it? Of course.

ssoutlaw, you seem to be defending this driver alot. Do you know this driver? If so, then I understand. Otherwise, I feel that maybe you have personal knowledge of things falling out of the back. So did this happen to you? 30 years in the business, it would be hard to believe that it has not. But does it still happen? One must wonder.......

Still, I don't feel like we are given all of the facts around this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is your quote, ssoutlaw. And I, for one, don't beleive that reasonable care was given.

Soapbox is now yours.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...=232123#232123
This is what I said in another thread:

""t would be hard to believe that any company would say in there rules you are responsible for theft of your load or any part of it when you are off duty. Even if you signed something like this, it wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on.
I had a similar problem a few yrs back. My sister lives in CA and I would drop the trailer at a home depot, with the company's permission. Used a pin lock and glad hand lock, and locks on trailer door but a drill works good to break the kingpin and glad hand locks. Trailer was jacked, and the company said it was my fault. I played back the permission they gave me on tape and had to sue for the 1000.00 deductible they took out of my check. Judge gave it back to me and said the paper I signed wasn't worth a crap!

Do you actually think a truck stop is a safe place, more trucks have been jacked in truck stops and nobody pays attention unless it comes to their own truck! In his post he said he left his equipment, which leads me to believe truck and trailer!
A truck in a lot is not putting a sign saying steal me, give me a break, that load untarped could be stolen anywhere!
Why must you doubt someone, so it gives you a reason to bash someone to make you feel like a big Man! How do you know there was a better place to leave the equipment, If someone wanted the load, you're not going to stop it. You're to quick to point your finger and put someone down!
No I do not know the driver and I have had a trailer stolen from me, read above.
As far as things falling out the back of the trailer, get real, this was your attempt of saying the driver is stealing it!

""But does it still happen? One must wonder.......""

Your a Troll and a sh#t disturber for saying anything like this.
My whole point with this, which you will not understand because all you want to do is point fingers, and put people down, is there is a time when a driver becomes reasonably not responsible for his equipment, no matter what you think!
A driver is only responsible when he becomes negligent, and when a dispatcher says its OK to leave the equipment then its their BABY. This is why I have said in my posts to cover your as# and record what they say, we have been doing this for years in this business, which you might have known if you have been doing this for awhile! Truck stops used to sell a little recorder with a ear piece to record ph conversations and they called it a "dispatch buster" remember seeing this item!
No one can tell when something will be stolen, you can park where you think you should be and the outcome could still be the same. I am firmly convinced you will argue with anyone, being the shi# disturber you are, and I for one don't have the time to play your petty games.
Have a happy life.....................................