User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You guys can interpret anyway you see fit, but there is a legal fight as to being off duty, and what you are responsible for! If some of these a#s kissers would stand up to this industry maybe things would change, but I think not. This is the way its been for a long time and no one can stand together! The poster tells dispatch he is going " off duty" They know where the truck is, This is what the poster has told us, and there is no reason not to believe him! They tell him "OK" Now someone felches from the load and they now want someone to be at fault and recoup their loss. Hey why not take the drivers bonus, we will just say he was not allowed and was not given permission to do it! Our word against his. The drivers wont say anything, they are a bunch of cattle and we can lead them anywhere we want to!
Now his log book shows he is in his home town, I wonder what he is doing there? Maybe he is "Off Duty" and spending time with his family, you think?
If you are responsible for the load, how can you go off duty. How should you log this to be in compliance with the law? You see what I getting at? Should a company be allowed to take even a bonus and we should just sit and let it happen, I think not! If you work for a company, and they LET you live a measurable distance from their yard, They need to LET you go home, and if they want, as it is their right to have the equipment at the yard, then they can pay for the deadhead. Why should we pay to get ourselves home? I wont work someplace that wont let me take the truck home, during my home time unless the yard is in my home town. Now you PRO COMPANY kiss a##ers who think you know everything tell me how a lawyer and a judge COULD interrupt this:

395.8 (h)(1) Off duty. Except for time spent resting in a sleeper berth, a continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time when the driver is not on duty, is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...?section=395.8

Having to look out for your load could be interpreted as work to me, and I bet you could find a judge and a lawyer to feel the same way!!!
Now why should the driver be responsible for everything, and the company SKATES? I got it, when the company doesn't have a load for us for, lets say 30 hrs, lets spend all that time on line 4 of your LIE book, so we can play security guard for their equipment! Hah Hah Hah.. Hell we would never get any work done with the 2 jobs they want us to perform....lol....
Now to the guys who want to point their fingers, get a little time in the seat, and get your nose out of you know where, and demand more consideration in certain parts of this industry.
My RANT is over, we will return you to your program already in progress!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:46 AM

Guys what shite on this guy for standing up for what he believes is right? It's not like he was driving the truck, left his keys in it and did not lock the doors while taking a shower at a T/S anywhere, He was cleared by dispatch as OFF DUTY, his responsibility was done. Granted we do have a big responsibility when we are on duty for the truck, load, and the safety of others on the road.

Some of you may think he showed bad judgment, but based on the rules he was taught he feels that he has been wronged.

Who knows his actions in court may have a benefit for all of us. Now if we would all join together when we get jerked around by trucking companies or shitty truck stops we can actually make a difference in how we get treated.

"Hundreds of miles rolled off today.
Signs lose their meaning, minutes tick away.
Dirt roads to interstates, I must have drove them all.
Cigarettes and burgers, caffeine and alcohol."
Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttruck
You are not required to sleep on the jobsite in construction, that is why there is always a security service at jobsites. Am I wrong?
Yes your are wrong, very few sites have any security other than maybe a fence. I have slept on job sites ( in my motor home ) if the job was more than 70 miles from home.
Ok you are forgiven.
Not that I need your forgiveness, but you are forgiven to. :wink:
Old 01-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Why do you think the U.S Goverment requires all ammo for the Milatary be carried by teams that way there is always someone in the truck at all time. I carried a few high value loads that make copper look cheap. My dad and I carried one load valued at over 8 million bucks one time with 4 Federal seals on the door Overaxle could not get it legal and some rookie officer in Ohio decided to try to cut to cut the seals off and see what we had on. We ended up late with the city of Phiilys food stamps thanks to that dang officer that month.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Drivers Beware of Company Procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by drippy
The local police department was called and a request was made to watch the load as often as they could.
I don't know too many PD's that would take that request seriously. Our company lost a truck full of Audi's while the driver slept in his motel room. He woke up the next day and his truck was gone. The other driver is right. If someone wants your stuff, they will find a way to get.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
You guys can interpret anyway you see fit, but there is a legal fight as to being off duty, and what you are responsible for! If some of these a#s kissers would stand up to this industry maybe things would change, but I think not. This is the way its been for a long time and no one can stand together! The poster tells dispatch he is going " off duty" They know where the truck is, This is what the poster has told us, and there is no reason not to believe him! They tell him "OK" Now someone felches from the load and they now want someone to be at fault and recoup their loss. Hey why not take the drivers bonus, we will just say he was not allowed and was not given permission to do it! Our word against his. The drivers wont say anything, they are a bunch of cattle and we can lead them anywhere we want to!
Now his log book shows he is in his home town, I wonder what he is doing there? Maybe he is "Off Duty" and spending time with his family, you think?
If you are responsible for the load, how can you go off duty. How should you log this to be in compliance with the law? You see what I getting at? Should a company be allowed to take even a bonus and we should just sit and let it happen, I think not! If you work for a company, and they LET you live a measurable distance from their yard, They need to LET you go home, and if they want, as it is their right to have the equipment at the yard, then they can pay for the deadhead. Why should we pay to get ourselves home? I wont work someplace that wont let me take the truck home, during my home time unless the yard is in my home town. Now you PRO COMPANY kiss a##ers who think you know everything tell me how a lawyer and a judge COULD interrupt this:

395.8 (h)(1) Off duty. Except for time spent resting in a sleeper berth, a continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time when the driver is not on duty, is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work.

Having to look out for your load could be interpreted as work to me, and I bet you could find a judge and a lawyer to feel the same way!!!
Now why should the driver be responsible for everything, and the company SKATES? I got it, when the company doesn't have a load for us for, lets say 30 hrs, lets spend all that time on line 4 of your LIE book, so we can play security guard for their equipment! Hah Hah Hah.. Hell we would never get any work done with the 2 jobs they want us to perform....lol....
Now to the guys who want to point their fingers, get a little time in the seat, and get your nose out of you know where, and demand more consideration in certain parts of this industry.
My RANT is over, we will return you to your program already in progress!!!!!!!!!
Correct me if I'm not wrong, but this is DOT instruction on how to fill out your logbook.

Now if you can find a part in the DOT laws that state the driver is no longer responsible for his load just because he goes off duty, I would like to see it.

And I would also like to see you tell your company that you are not responsible for any load that you happen to have while you go off duty. And I would like to see their response.

Because if it was my truck, and my insurance, I would have a new driver.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

And one more thing. I don't give a rat sh#t about any company. But when I pick up a load, and I don't care if it's a high dollar load, or a load of horse sh#t, I take personal responsibility in making sure it gets to it receiver's location. And I'm not about to shirk that responsibility just because I want to go home.

And I don't whine on some board when I fail to deliver, and that company hold me responsible.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Board Regular

you are the only one at the location where the load was parked.the manager and dispatcher did not drive over there and check it out.you generated a bill of lading and received that load and its yours til its delivered. its tough trying to get home sometimes.good luck when you start taking legal action against a trucking co.most lawyers aint gonna touch that.they can collect the insurance and make you pay for the load too.i work for a 200 truck company and they have 5 fulltime lawyers preventing losses and dealing with claims.you better get a second mortgage so you can get a good lawyer and if they dont take care of you right away theyll drag it out for years.do not threaten legal action just do it
Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw

Correct me if I'm not wrong, but this is DOT instruction on how to fill out your logbook.

Now if you can find a part in the DOT laws that state the driver is no longer responsible for his load just because he goes off duty, I would like to see it.

And I would also like to see you tell your company that you are not responsible for any load that you happen to have while you go off duty. And I would like to see their response.

Because if it was my truck, and my insurance, I would have a new driver.

Yea this is meant to show how to log off duty. Off duty means you have no responsibility to your job

""is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work. ""

You missed the point a long time ago, you go ahead and take all the responsibility and get nothing in return.
When they jack your load while your taking a shower or eating, or taking a crap in the T/S remember its your fault, and don't Jip the company of any money to pay for the stolen load.....lol...lol. Whats the difference if you go in the T/S. go to the Motel, or go home, get off your soap box.....
Old 01-29-2007, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
you are the only one at the location where the load was parked.the manager and dispatcher did not drive over there and check it out.you generated a bill of lading and received that load and its yours til its delivered. its tough trying to get home sometimes.good luck when you start taking legal action against a trucking co.most lawyers aint gonna touch that.they can collect the insurance and make you pay for the load too.i work for a 200 truck company and they have 5 fulltime lawyers preventing losses and dealing with claims.you better get a second mortgage so you can get a good lawyer and if they dont take care of you right away theyll drag it out for years.do not threaten legal action just do it
When you sign for the load, it doesn't mean you take anything more than reasonable care, besides its a paper trail. Why would any driver in their right mind take on financial responsibility for a shipment and not reap any of the profit?. Please tell me, if your truck is stolen while you are paying for fuel, are you going to pay for it with the .40cpm they are paying you???