User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Drivers Beware of Company Procedures

This is not meant to be "slam" to KEIM TS, Inc. , of Sabetha,Ks., but rather an attempt to notify drivers of a potential loss of $$$ due to ignorance of company procedures.

A couple of months ago, while at home on a 34 hour reset, I had items taken off my flatbed trailer. Unknown persons had slit straps and taken a copper plate from the trailer. Loss of $1300.

Fact: a) dispatch was aware of load and load value. b) dispatch was aware where the load was to be parked through the reset. c) dispatch had the option of requesting the load to be driven to their lot, but did not request.
I parked the trailer in a well lit lot "old WalMart lot" that was spacious and open to the public eye. The load was parked directly under a light pole. The local police department was called and a request was made to watch the load as often as they could. At this point I felt I had did all I could to secure the load. Upon returning to the load the theft was discovered. A police report was done, reflecting the time of occurrence to have been while in the 34 hour reset.

After 3 months I was notified, by mail, that the company would not pay my "Safety Bonus" due to a claim being paid by them on the missing plate.

In short....depending on your company policy...you could be charged $$$$ for claims against your truck even though you are NOT ON DUTY.

The only way around this responsibility would be to secure your load at your company yard during the reset....hmmmm...wonder if they would pay "out of route" miles to get there.

PICK YOUR EMPLOYER WISELY....and ask more questions than I did....lesson learned....

Now a civil suit will be filed to attempt collection of my bonus.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Rookie

Wow, another highly litigious person in America. What a suprise! I am sure you signed a contract or were made aware of such policies when you started with said company that you would be responsible for the truck and trailer and its said contents when "OFF-DUTY" unless parked in a secure location. Such as the confines of the terminal yard or other various fenced secured properties. This is not an accusation, but who is to say that you did not take it yourself. Do you have proof? Was the load covered in some way to thwart off suspecting theives? You dumped the truck and trailer, and its valuable freight, off in a derelict parking lot and went home. Somewhat negligent, if you ask me. They should have just taken it out of your paycheck/s, yet you think you are entitled some reward. :roll:
Old 01-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Arrow makes us tarp those loads....copper is worth ALOT of money right now, as i am sure you know.

I hope you can get things worked out.

Tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
Arrow makes us tarp those loads....copper is worth ALOT of money right now, as i am sure you know.

I hope you can get things worked out.

Tootie

Exactly, a load of copper just sitting in an empty parking lot, with just a few straps thrown over it, is going to be an easy snatch.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Isn't the driver responsible for the tractor, trailer, and load in their possession?

And based on what the original posted stated, wouldn't this also be considered a "preventable" incident?

If so, how can anyone expect a bonus to be paid?????
Old 01-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedSpam
Wow, another highly litigious person in America. What a suprise! I am sure you signed a contract or were made aware of such policies when you started with said company that you would be responsible for the truck and trailer and its said contents when "OFF-DUTY" unless parked in a secure location. Such as the confines of the terminal yard or other various fenced secured properties. This is not an accusation, but who is to say that you did not take it yourself. Do you have proof? Was the load covered in some way to thwart off suspecting theives? You dumped the truck and trailer, and its valuable freight, off in a derelict parking lot and went home. Somewhat negligent, if you ask me. They should have just taken it out of your paycheck/s, yet you think you are entitled some reward. :roll:
If someone wants to steal something, you wont stop them, even in your own driveway. In your way of thinking, if a thief would steal your car in your driveway, then its your fault because you live in a bad area, go figure.He said it was tarped, and the tarp was cut. He said the company was told where it was, and it was fine with them. Now if something happens the company will always blame the driver. Why do you want to pick at his post for? You can leave a trailer anywhere and it can be broken into, this means vans and reefers too even on a company YARD!
A lot of cell phones have a record feature, if not get a little recorder and attach it to the phone, then record the conversation with the company when they say its OK to leave the truck and trailer, this saved my A@s more than once. This is something we have used for more years than most of you guys have even driven a car. When ever a company tells you you can do something, RECORD it!

I must edit my post, he did not tarp, I read another post with tarping and had a brain fart...lol and with the copper, I wonder why he did not? still the company from what the driver said was aware and they were fine with it.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:
If someone wants to steal something, you wont stop them, even in your own driveway. In your way of thinking, if a thief would steal your car in your driveway, then its your fault because you live in a bad area, go figure.He said it was tarped, and the tarp was cut. He said the company was told where it was, and it was fine with them. Now if something happens the company will always blame the driver. Why do you want to pick at his post for? You sound like a troll with nothing better to do with your time, get a JOB! You can leave a trailer anywhere and it can be broken into, this means vans and reefers too even on a company YARD!
A lot of cell phones have a record feature, if not get a little recorder and attach it to the phone, then record the conversation with the company when they say its OK to leave the truck and trailer, this saved my A@s more than once. This is something we have used for more years than most of you guys have even driven a car. When ever a company tells you you can do something, RECORD it!

It is incredibly difficult to follow your fatuous rationality. Nowhere in the first post of this thread does the thread originator state that he had the load tarped in any manner. His exact quote was "unknown persons had slit straps and taken a copper plate from the trailer" . In no way does that imply the discarding of any tarp, or tarp like substance, from said theif.
This sentence alone is enough to question the driver's reason "I parked the trailer in a well lit lot "old WalMart lot" that was spacious and open to the public eye.". He mine as well have just taken the straps off himself and put out a sign saying "STEAL ME". If I were to leave my personal automotive in a derelict parking lot and desert it their with a stack of one hundred dollar bills laying out openly on the dash it would be natural to assume someone with unscrupulous morals would be tempted to pilfer.

Edit: I read your edit after I had posted this. Regardless, your despicable
rhetoric speaks volumes about your character.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If someone wants to steal something, you wont stop them, even in your own driveway. In your way of thinking, if a thief would steal your car in your driveway, then its your fault because you live in a bad area, go figure.He said it was tarped, and the tarp was cut. He said the company was told where it was, and it was fine with them. Now if something happens the company will always blame the driver. Why do you want to pick at his post for? You sound like a troll with nothing better to do with your time, get a JOB! You can leave a trailer anywhere and it can be broken into, this means vans and reefers too even on a company YARD!

It is incredibly difficult to follow your fatuous rationality. Nowhere in the first post of this thread does the thread originator state that he had the load tarped in any manner. His exact quote was "unknown persons had slit straps and taken a copper plate from the trailer" . In no way does that imply the discarding of any tarp, or tarp like substance, from said theif.
This sentence alone is enough to question the driver's reason "I parked the trailer in a well lit lot "old WalMart lot" that was spacious and open to the public eye.". He mine as well have just taken the straps off himself and put out a sign saying "STEAL ME". If I were to leave my personal automotive in a derelict parking lot and desert it their with a stack of one hundred dollar bills laying out openly on the dash it would be natural to assume someone with unscrupulous morals would be tempted to pilfer.
Now go back and read my post, at the bottom notice the EDIT part!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now go back and read my post, at the bottom notice the EDIT part!

Go back and read my edit! :lol:
Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Edit: I read your edit after I had posted this. Regardless, your despicable
rhetoric speaks volumes about your character.
Your a Troll, using words you couldn't spell if it was not for spell check! What does this say about my character? You on the other hand are quick to discredit someone and point your finger, like you are some kind of GOD! maybe you have never done anything, you thought you should have done different. You picked apart his post to see where you could strike with your words of whit, or maybe [email protected] Dam, I'm a poet and don't know it....lol.. What this tells me about your character is you have a almighty complex, which raises you to the level of a god! We now know you are perfect, keep up the good work GOD!