Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

After reading all of this, I got to add my .02:

So here's my .02 -

Chalk it up to a bad experience, and be a little more careful next time. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
    '

Old 01-27-2007, 03:15 AM
    Senior Board Member

Drippy..So you quit that job, and are moving on. Kewl. But you still need to understand...when you park a "Truck" on an unsecure lot...which is exactly what the "Old Walmart lot" was, the you are reponsible for it...On-duty or not. As far as your employer will be concerned, if it wasn't inside "Their" fence, it was not properly secured.

And as for the Insurance money....if that copper plate was only valued at $1300, and was stolen off the unit while it was parked in an "unsecure" area, then the claim was denied....been there....done that...to the tune of $27K. And we could see the truck from the house day or night....but not when we were at the lake!!!
    :withstupid:

:moose:
    Old 01-27-2007, 04:38 AM
    Senior Board Member

So, lemme get this straight-

You're badmouthing the company over a safety bonus? They did NOT make you pay for it, nor did they fire you. As stated above, other companies are much more strict. I'd have to pay $1000/shipment if my truck was broken into. My dad's truck had its locks popped a few years back, this stuff happens.

Relying on the local police to monitor it was a good call, but I wouldn't put that much faith in it.

I can't comment on whether you secured it right or wrong, because thieves will get ANYTHING they want if they want it bad enough. Like I said, moving vans, and almost any locked trailer can be broken into quietly and quickly, but your company has insurance for these types of incidents.

Live and learn. Kinda like the guy on here this summer that got his tarps stolen. :cry:
    Old 01-27-2007, 12:15 PM
    Senior Board Member
    Default Re: Drivers Beware of Company Procedures

Your fault, your responsibility, end of discussion. And you are an absolute idiot to sue. You have no chance of winning and the mere fact that you sued will probably hurt you in any attempt to find new employment. How much was your safety bonus in the first place? A couple of hundred dollars? Big whoop![/quote]

I assume he was going home and had requested to go home so that means his dispatcher put him under that load knowing where he would take it. he called the police and asked them to watch it. I think other than tarp it he did everything he could have done. your the idiot for sticking up for the trucking company that you know dam well collected the insurance to pay for the stolen property and then decided to "screw" an employee out of his earned money. so they lost an employee all for a few hundred dollars. thats the problem with trucking to many dam fools think the crap these companies pull is ok.[/quote]

Who gives a crap if the insurance paid for the loss or not? What about the fact that the shipper will probably never use that company again?

Anybody with an ounce of common sense would realize just how tempting a load like that would be and would do a lot more than this driver did to prevent just such a occurrence.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
    Old 01-27-2007, 12:30 PM

Count this as lesson learn always (CYA). JMO if you were at a customer place of business unloading and had some minor accident such as backing etc, they probably would take your safety bonus. How far would you had to drive out of route to park on company property.
    Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 PM
    Rookie

Out of route miles would have been approx. 180...round trip, not really bad or a deal breaker...had the dispatcher requested the load to be taken to Sabetha it would have.

You are all correct in stating "a lesson well learned". However, my decision to give up a $50K/yr job over this is my prerogative. I'm one of those dummies that have a limit on what I will allow a company to do, be it "fair" or not.

So put all of your lashings aside a minute and answer this....Are you getting paid for your 24hr vigilance, of protecting your load, while on an "off duty reset"? You are willing to take one up the ole pooper for the company if your load is breached, even though you did everything as requested by dispatch.

I will be taking this to small claims court, not for the $$$$, I will be listing $1 as amount requested. I want a clarification by the state of Kansas as to when I am really OFF DUTY....I'm thinking of taking a vacation in the future and do not want to hire a private security agency to watch over my truck/trailer each and every weekend.

Those of you that take your load home every weekend....are you willing to "roll the dice" and will you "eat" the loss without a whimper? I think not...unless you are so far up the company's backside all you see is white.
    Old 01-27-2007, 02:44 PM
    Senior Board Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fasttruck
    Well this is apples to oranges. You are not required to sleep on the jobsite in construction, that is why there is always a security service at jobsites. Am I wrong?
    Yes your are wrong, very few sites have any security other than maybe a fence. I have slept on job sites ( in my motor home ) if the job was more than 70 miles from home. Also... Did you not read where I MISSED this was his home time, and had no place to park near his home?

I Backed peddled on my reply once I noticed this, said I was sorry and would try to read more responsibly.
    Old 01-27-2007, 07:54 PM
    Senior Board Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drippy
    Out of route miles would have been approx. 180...round trip, not really bad or a deal breaker...had the dispatcher requested the load to be taken to Sabetha it would have.

You are all correct in stating "a lesson well learned". However, my decision to give up a $50K/yr job over this is my prerogative. I'm one of those dummies that have a limit on what I will allow a company to do, be it "fair" or not.

So put all of your lashings aside a minute and answer this....Are you getting paid for your 24hr vigilance, of protecting your load, while on an "off duty reset"? You are willing to take one up the ole pooper for the company if your load is breached, even though you did everything as requested by dispatch.

I will be taking this to small claims court, not for the $$$$, I will be listing $1 as amount requested. I want a clarification by the state of Kansas as to when I am really OFF DUTY....I'm thinking of taking a vacation in the future and do not want to hire a private security agency to watch over my truck/trailer each and every weekend.

Those of you that take your load home every weekend....are you willing to "roll the dice" and will you "eat" the loss without a whimper? I think not...unless you are so far up the company's backside all you see is white.
    Ok... you have gone on enough about how the BAD COMPANY expected toooooo much from you...... IMHO all you are doing now is whining.

Go ahead and sue. It's your DAC report that will suffer.

And be sure to tell your next employer that he stands a good chance of being sued by you for your carelessness.

And at this point, this thread should be locked for being stupid FROM THE VERY START.

Maybe you should consider a career change to accommodate you when it comes to responcibility.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
    '

Old 01-28-2007, 03:23 AM
    Rookie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glasman2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fasttruck
    Well this is apples to oranges. You are not required to sleep on the jobsite in construction, that is why there is always a security service at jobsites. Am I wrong?
    Yes your are wrong, very few sites have any security other than maybe a fence. I have slept on job sites ( in my motor home ) if the job was more than 70 miles from home. Also... Did you not read where I MISSED this was his home time, and had no place to park near his home?

I Backed peddled on my reply once I noticed this, said I was sorry and would try to read more responsibly.
    Ok you are forgiven.
    Old 01-28-2007, 04:03 AM
    Board Regular

this biz is loaded with catch22 and and coulda,shoulda woulda.but sometimes you try and it dont work out.you give 2 weeks notice and leave on good terms and have a new job in a week. safety bonus would be in juristriction of small claims court and big trucking co lawyer would take care of that quick and you pay him.sure they have cargo insurance and will put any pressure on drivers they can to prevent losses. you gotta go home sometimes. the driver is always responsible for everything
    Closed Thread