User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
i am getting about 3000 miles a week with werner, only problem i have with them is their shasty pay, but that's my only problem with them. oh and their weekend dispatch are about as usefull as a Rubber Crutch.
I am glad to hear that someone at least is getting good miles. I never seen good miles this last time around. When I was there before I got decent miles but not great.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 PM

Well just checkin in with an update and to confirm some things.

Yes Swift did impliment a new pay scale effective last month and you DO get a $500 bonus after you deliver your first solo load.

The schooling is good, and very thorough. I've had some experience with semi's from working on them for 3 years but they do cover alot of things in a short period of time.

As someone else mentioned do NOT be afraid to ask questions, or once you get on the range or road portion of training don't be afraid to ask for a different instructor if the one you're assigned to doesn't teach how you learn. You're paying to be there ($3900 to go, they reimburse you over 26 months) so by all means get your money's worth.

The equipment is good. Yes once you go solo you'll get a used frieghtliner or volvo for the first 3-6 months (who would trust a rookie with a brand new $100k+ rig?) but after you show you know what you're doing and don't smash up the truck you'll get a new truck as well.

BOL

Keep the rubber side down on the hard stuff.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Board Regular

:!: get your experience and move on! experienced drivers want to break the monopolys stop the illeagle invasion.improve wages and living conditions.when the newnes wears off and you have the experience to be in control you will decide the swift terminal is not your home and you will sleep with your woman when ever you want even in your truck(sorry jerry!)if you sign the lease your not gonna be free for many years you can afford a truck when you can walk in the bank and demonstrate you know whats up. have as much fun as possible protect your credit and your record the rest is bs
Old 12-25-2006, 02:29 PM

I wouldnt touch Swift with a 100 foot pole. They dont tend to attract the best and brightest, although they do have a few.. They go after the Mexicans in a major way. They are interested in being the biggest at all costs. You are little more than a driving whore with them. Learn to speak Spanish if you go with them. If you work for them you get what you deserve. I would also remind everyone that some of the people that post on websites like this are connected to big companies such as Swift, and they do monitor these websites. So be careful about what you read, or more importantly, believe. If you take crap you will likely get more crap.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
I wouldnt touch Swift with a 100 foot pole. They dont tend to attract the best and brightest, although they do have a few.. They go after the Mexicans in a major way. They are interested in being the biggest at all costs. You are little more than a driving whore with them. Learn to speak Spanish if you go with them. If you work for them you get what you deserve. I would also remind everyone that some of the people that post on websites like this are connected to big companies such as Swift, and they do monitor these websites. So be careful about what you read, or more importantly, believe. If you take crap you will likely get more crap.
Also, some of the people that post on websites like this NEVER worked for certain companies, and simply gargle up rumors and unjustified remarks.

If you really want to know something about Swift start talking to their drivers. I have been doing this for a few months and what I read here doesn't match what I'm being told from drivers. It seems most drivers are happy with Swift. The starting pay is low, but none of them are sitting on their asses waiting on a load. Most here seem to bitch about the low pay but I'd rather be getting the miles at a lower rate, than bragging about how many CPM I get but not getting the miles. I talked to a driver last week that told me many drivers are going back to Swift for that reason alone. Many on this site have been saying freight is slow right now, but the Swift drivers seem to be busy.

Also, keep in mind when you hear of horror stories about these huge companies that they are big, and they will have more complainers. Smaller companies, with fewer drivers, have their problems as well. You just don't hear them as much because there are less drivers. Smaller numbers = less complaints. Simple math.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Default miles

i also have talked to many drivers with swift and they are all getting the miles they want and as bmiller wrote all the mexicans i have not seen all those mexicans he says there are. i have a Friend who has driven for swift for ten yrs and he says just show up on time and be safe and do your paper work and it all works out i to have been on this site for awhile and it seems there are people who gripe about everything and know nothing but what they hear. i worked for general motors for alot of yrs and you know what i can b---h about them it is what it is just do the best you can if you don't like it only you can make the change..
Old 12-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

ok, well, as I work with swift i'll tell you what I know. Some weeks are good, some are bad. Some weeks you'll get paid for 1200 miles and some weeks you'll see 3000 miles. Sometimes you'll get home every week (don't plan on many miles those weeks) and once I was out for two months. Just like any company it depends on the dispatcher, planer and what you are looking for from a company.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:21 PM

I have been at this long enough to know there are whiners and complainers in every company. A large majority of the Swift drivers I talk to in person or on the cb are not happy. I have heard story after story that puts them in pretty bad light. There has to be reasons they have huge driver turnover. Some of it can be explained away to people who cant handle this work, but most of it I believe is misleading or outright deception in their recruiting practices. Its simple logic that with 16,000 or 18,000 trucks they are not going to be terribly concerned with one individual driver. Get what they can out of you before you drop them. If they get one naive uninformed driver they can get another. Not to mention they are making what is probably the biggest push for immigrant drivers. Use your head and think about it. If it could even be called a decent company why on earth would they need such a massive recruiting and advertising effort. Good companies dont need to advertise that much. Swift is interested in Swift, not in any driver. Virtually every single free driver publication has their ads, as well as every local Sunday paper in my area. An old timer told me once to avoid the companies that advertise everywhere. If we used our brains and not accept everything we see or hear at face value we just might be better off. I wish I had subscribed to that concept long ago.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Board Regular

:wink: you pro swifties who think we are terrible trashy truckers should buy as much of that swift stock as you can! you can get a good deal on the latest trucker fashions at the swift store. listen to what swift tells you and recite it to us.dont heed us or the feds who down graded the safety rating because of the fatality every 11 days.or wall street who down graded the stock because of safety and driver treatment.its not the swift driver who is the fatality i bet. use the oppurtunity to better yourself and the industry :?: :?: :?:
Old 12-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Swift has nice trucks. I know this because one of their drivers asked me to back his brand-spankin' new Volvo into a dock one time. :roll: