User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
How can a company go after the "Mexicans"? Get real. swift was one of the first big truckers to open an office in mexico.
Oh me oh my.............one air horn blast if they come by land, two if they come by water..........wait they have to cross the Rio Grand............okay three blast..............the mescans are coming the mescans are coming.........give me a break.

Homie......Swift opened an operation in Mexico to take advantage of the market niche that other US companies have ignored. Most companies haul freight to the border only...........they hand it off to an international broker who lines up Mexican haulers to complete the load transfer to the production plants in Mexico..........Swift saw an open market for an organized company to enter into. Some one at Swift asked a very simple question........"Why don't we open our own operation in Mexico and market it as a one stop shop process for the manufacturers..........we haul it to the border, transfer it to one of our Mexico based rigs and off we go."

Homie......in case you didn't know........the Hispanic population is the second fastest growing population in America.........(second only to the prison population).........why would Swift have to open a Mexican based operation to get cheap labor..........it's right here in the states.

It was simply a market and good business move on their part...........nothing more.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Board Regular

lifes pallet you think thats great let them foreigners haul it up here good luck getting a raise its all the same to you haul it south for 10cpm. you swifties who scared you might see snow if you get off i-10 gonna get used to it homie. you just dont get it you are being replaced. that ooida also suing swift and england for stealing all that escrow money from those young drivers who wanna be owner operators and giving them illegle leases
Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
lifes pallet you think thats great let them foreigners haul it up here good luck getting a raise its all the same to you haul it south for 10cpm. you swifties who scared you might see snow if you get off i-10 gonna get used to it homie. you just dont get it you are being replaced. that ooida also suing swift and england for stealing all that escrow money from those young drivers who wanna be owner operators and giving them illegle leases
Homer you need to lay off the juice dude........it's effecting your ability to put together a reasonable train of thought.

There are many aspects of NAFTA, I don't agree with and one of the biggest is the part that allows foreign drivers to operate foreign registered rigs outside of the restrictions placed on the rest of us. As to your assertion that Mexican drivers are driving down the CPM rates for the rest of us, I'm not convinced that is as big as you believe. I'm more inclined to believe it's a convenient target for dissatisfied truckers here in the US. First off, US based trucking corporations fall under the current DOT regulations for operations........now do you really think, that the great pumpkin group or Swift or any of the large outfits are going to replace qualified US drivers with unqualified illegal Mexican drivers? Can you say contributory negligence? The law suits would be an open and shut case, costing the company millions per accident. Not to mention the federal and state fines.............Now the NAFTA trucks having freedom to operate outside of the NAFTA restrictions is a different thing and if that's what you're referring too, than I would agree with you.............You weren't really clear in your ramblings just what you were most concerned about.
For the most part, about the only thing I got from your ranting was that you are convinced that the Mexicans are the root of all the problems. To be perfectly honest with you, you sound to be somewhat of a racist.

I think all NAFTA vehicles, once they cross over into the US, should by all means, be forced to operate under the same regulations for safety, HOS, financial cost, etc., that we all have to adhere too. They should have to pay the same base plates, taxes, permits, etc., that we do...........and they should be restricted to the limits as imposed by the NAFTA agreement (i.e. cartage into and out of only, no point to point inside the US).

If Mexicali Trucking wants to pay their drivers 10 CPM to haul freight into the states how's that decreasing your CPM? I'd be willing to bet, your POV has some components that were manufactured in Mexico and shipped up here for assembly in some US plant.......and that doesn't bother you because it keeps the price down that you paid for it. When was the last time you shopped at Wally World, K-Mart, Target, Costco, Sams, Sears, Penny's, or Nordstrum's............ohhhhhhhh no, you're benefiting from the very thing you detest.

You just don't get it do you Homer. America has become a land of spoiled over indulgent consumers. We've danced the dance and now it's time to pay the band. We demand the higher wages and yet our productivity levels are falling and performance quality is dropping. I spent almost 30 years in the design and construction industry. Now days, it's hard to find a job site that isn't predominately Hispanic. At first the quality of the work done by Hispanics, for the most part, is substandard to that of the American counterparts........but once they learn the trade and what's expected as to quality, it gets better and most times ends up surpassing that of the everyday American construction worker. I never hired illegals. But those who had legal documents, I hired. If they didn't have training, I trained them and once they learned.......to be honest with you they were better, more reliable and loyal than most of the American workers. For the most part these were unskilled labors, who wanted a chance and were willing to bust their butts to improve. At first it was one or two, but as the years went on, for every American applicant, I had 3 - 4 Hispanic applicants. I guess it was below the dignity of the average American laborer to hold the end of an idiot stick and dress up footing trenches, move sheet rock, or lumber. No experience......you started at $12.00 per hour......Hispanic or American. The more you learned and the harder you worked, the more raises you got. You know what, I had less trouble with the Hispanics than I did with the American workers for the most part. Sure as hell had a lot less bitching, moaning and tardiness to deal with. I remember one incident..........I hired two young men on the same day, one Hispanic and one Gringo.........started them both at the same rate, doing the same work, they had the same opportunities. Well, because the white kid could read blueprints and such he moved up faster than the other..........after a couple of months he was running a backhoe for me and making about $17.00 per hour. One day he doesn't show up, the next day no show, and the next.....by the fourth day, I put Manny on the backhoe and trained him. A week later who shows up and can't understand why he doesn't have a job anymore............a friend of his had asked him to help him sail a boat down to St. Thomas and they stayed a couple of days to do some diving..........

yeah Homer........it's all the Mexicans fault, we have low millage rates..... you just keep believing that Homer........it's easier for you I'm sure. You want to blame somebody Homer........blame your Congressman, blame the politicians............they're the ones who made this mess and the only ones who can fix it............but, be very careful what you wish for Homer. Nothing is cut and dry, those low prices you like at Wally World, K-Mart, Costco and Sams.........they're a benefit in part to the NAFTA agreement.

As to the class actions lawsuits you mentioned............what has that got to do with Mexicans, NAFTA or anything else you've ranted about.......on second thought Homer, break out another bottle of the juice.........maybe it'll help if you hit it somemore.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Board Regular

So what if Swift opened a office in Mexico. You don't even know why. Swift owned half of Trans-Mex and Swift bought the rest of their shares that's why they have an office in Mexico. Let me see how many other U.S companies have offices in Mexico, Hoover, GM, Ford, Electrolux, Toro, and so on. Blame the U.S Government for the exodus in companies to foreign soil. The days of Made in the U.S.A are over.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneebone
So what if Swift opened a office in Mexico. You don't even know why. Swift owned half of Trans-Mex and Swift bought the rest of their shares that's why they have an office in Mexico. Let me see how many other U.S companies have offices in Mexico, Hoover, GM, Ford, Electrolux, Toro, and so on. Blame the U.S Government for the exodus in companies to foreign soil. The days of Made in the U.S.A are over.

It's called NAFTA...
Old 12-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneebone
Interesting assertion Boneebone......."Blame the U.S. Government....." But I ask you is the government really to be blamed...? I have yet to see any company forced by the government to move their manufacturing plants southward..........Yes, the government opened the doors by initiating the NAFTA agreement, but it's a corporate decision to relocate.........I would throw out on the table, that it has nothing to do with the government and everything to do with maintaining a competitive posture in today's market.

I could go into a long drawn out formulas of macro economics driven by micro economics, ROI's and stock market influences, but when you get down through all the layers of esoteric arguments, you get to the real engine fuel and that's you and I........... the everyday common hard working consumer.

We want what we want at the lowest price, we live way beyond our means, ( we are the most indebted society on earth) and somewhere along the line we swallowed wholeheartedly the marketing campaign that we need the latest and best of everything. The whole system is whacked out to put it bluntly.

On the other side of the fence, we want to be paid top dollar for whatever we do.........and we form unions to increase our bargaining power. Does an autoworker really deserve $23 per hour to screw lug nuts on the right side of your Ford Mustang. Throw in our investment expectations for maximum return in dividends from stock prices and you have all the necessary ingredients for the mess we have today. Company's either have to increase prices, which tends to have negative effect on profitability performance or they cut the cost of production.........in other words move their production south where the labor rates are cheaper.

No Boneebone, the government only opened the doors with the NAFTA agreement..........you can't lay all the blame on them........simply because it's a cause and effect situation. When you get right down to the basics of the problem.....it's US.........the God given right to over indulge everyday consumers.........we fuel this market. Like I said earlier.......we've danced the dance and now we're having to pay the band. Christmas has just passed..........take a look at the pile of stuff the average American has bought with credit cards that carry ungodly interest rates........... that X-Box the kids just had to have.......$200+....made in China. That I-Pod the wife or teenager just had to have......$250+.....made in China. Take a look at the booty of products we purchased for gifts and see where they'
re made........on the average, you're going to find greater than 80% are foreign products...........

Face it Boneebone........we are a nation of debit functioning consumers living in a country operating on the same premise........we're not just on the edge....we're leaning over and holding on to a cat whisker....it's just a matter of time before it breaks.

Swift is doing what every other company is doing...........trying to increase their profit ratio and market standing to satisfy their investors expectations. The rich get richer at the expense of the common worker.........that's what NAFTA has done. That's what we as a consumer group have fueled and have excepted, to make sure that we can run down to Wally World and get the latest electronic toy at the cheapest price. WE are the problem. How do you fix that?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Board Regular

ihi life pallet im back home nice post.i dont need to remind you this is the greatest country and i hope it will always be the strongest. as for companies forced out by us government. most of our heavy industry has moved to china were there is no epa. you know them big fines? many nafta factories left the border for china too. i still recommend swift to people with no experience trying to find their way. but no driver will advocate out sourcing his job. ive picked up loads on the border in the past.hispanic drivers dont want their job out sourced either. i was part of the 100% turnover in 1997 and have had my current job 9 years.100% turnover for 20 years.must be 200000 ex swifts! i agree with them and the the federal motor carriers enforcement agency the top wall street anaylists the teamsters and the ooida. great to get the experience and you can go anywhere! good luck and safety first
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 AM
Board Regular

Glad your home safe again Homer......looks like another storm moving in to the NW again.......I agree this is the one of the greatest countries going for now. However, looking at the razor's edge the US economy is perched on, I have serious doubts our children will experience the same prosperity that we have. In March of 06, Congress had to raise the debt ceiling to $9 Trillion.......as of this evening.....the National Debt was a little over $8.5 Trillion. Oh.... by the way Homer, your share of that debt is a little over $28,500.........and mine......and everyone else on this forum...........crap, I think it's time to open a good bottle of wine for the night. Thank you George.

Swift is just like every other training company........ no better than some and no worse than others. For some, it's a good starting point. I was lucky and had an excellent mentor at Swift......but they are far and few in between. I seriously feel the FDOT is going to have to set more stringent regulations and qualifications for training companies. No teaming should be the first move. Set compensation for QUALIFIED trainers instead of payment based on the miles driven by the students. And more stringent requirements for trainers as to years experience, psychological testing and proper training of the trainers..........I'm sorry, 3 days in training classes does not a trainer make. Someone may have years of experience and just aren't cut out to be a trainer........we've all seen it. But it ain't never going to happen...........I don't know, maybe CDL schools need to be 6 - 8 months long and then just eliminate the 6 week training process with companies.........

Hell.......I'd be pleased as punch if the driver managers could just figure out simple math..........No Ms. Lucy, I can't be in Jacksonville by 0700 in the morning. It's 1030 here in OKC, I won't be unloaded for another 2 hours and I've got 6 hours available driving time after that...........
Old 12-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Board Regular

lifespallet.i just work 12 hour shifts 5 0r six days a week for walsh but reading the pay scales am thinking of signing with gordon or crete. i love my job but i love my portfolio more. maybe swift made progress with the training i remember trainers with 6 months experience. the company should be broken up into smaller less notorius units.most big companies do this for liability reasons. there is no shortage of drivers if they could keep 10 percent of those who quit over the last 2 decades they would be a force. i am alarmed at the ships leaving tacoma after unloading full of empty containers.we are producing very little and when all the cash has bled out it will be hard times.us treated the defeated country s right in the 40s and 50 s.thru history the victor has always raped and pillaged. i hope we still have what it takes.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="lifespalette"]Interesting assertion Boneebone......."Blame the U.S. Government....." But I ask you is the government really to be blamed...? I have yet to see any company forced by the government to move their manufacturing plants southward..........

Sadly, to some degree, I have... not through laws that prohibited me from operating a manufacturing company, but rather by creating tax policies and an economic environment that made it impossible for us to continue manufacture our products (medical equipment devices) here in the U.S., and to pay our production employees a living wage, and provide such benefits as health insurance, sick leave, etc.

Mexico only benefited from our problems for a short time.

After we sold out and handed the reins of the company over to the new owners, they closed up shop and moved to Mexico. Two years later, the Mexican operation closed down, and the jobs were sent to China.

In the end, there were no winners.