User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Werner versus Roehl, Schneider, Swift, and Millis

Yes, I'm still trying to find the perfect fit to go to work for when I get my CDL and in my mail today I received a Pre-Approved Offer from Werner. I live just north of Columbus, OH and they have a terminal about 40 miles west of Columbus in Springfield, but I don't know much about them. I'm leaning on you veterans for some advise and knowledge as to what anyone knows about Werner compared to the othe starter companies listed above. I do plan on getting my CDL through Southern State Community College in Columbus, so the actual CDL training is not figuring into my equation....Just looking for the best and most fair company to start my hauling career with.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who may post a response to this post.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Werner versus Roehl, Schneider, Swift, and Millis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsclinger9869
Yes, I'm still trying to find the perfect fit to go to work for when I get my CDL and in my mail today I received a Pre-Approved Offer from Werner. I live just north of Columbus, OH and they have a terminal about 40 miles west of Columbus in Springfield, but I don't know much about them. I'm leaning on you veterans for some advise and knowledge as to what anyone knows about Werner compared to the othe starter companies listed above. I do plan on getting my CDL through Southern State Community College in Columbus, so the actual CDL training is not figuring into my equation....Just looking for the best and most fair company to start my hauling career with.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who may post a response to this post.

for 48 state van ...

werner starting pay ....26 cpm after complateion of you 275 hr training....325 .00 per wk during those 275 hrs ..no matter how many miles you run per wk...........

at 1 yr .29
yr2 .30
yr3 .31
tr 4 .32

then 1/2 cent raise every year until yr 10 which puts you at .35 cpm....then i forgot exactly how many years but top out is like 36-37 cpm and it's like 14 yrs to reach....

Any regional division .15 cpm dead head ...21-23 cpm loaded depending on region....if it was 11 western it would be 15/21....I don't remeber the top out but it takes like 7 years to get to like 20/30 cpm in regional....

unless you have a hadicap limiting your choices ...look at werner...and RUN .....seriously I work here for now,But am looking elsewhere ...strongly considering cretes offer as I type....And I just could not recommend this company to anyone ,as the pay scale is a complete joke ...

look at it like this .28 x 100k is only 28k....that is what you will be luckly to gross at werner as a solo driver after all is said and done...this is why i'm seriously looking at crete...starting for me would be .40 CPM....40x100k...is 40k ......i'm good for 120-140 but 40k is acceptable base pay for now...28 k has me laughing at myself for not turning my truck in at the werner drp yrd in cheyenne wyoming and just heading over to crete's terminal in cheyenne last friday ....
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 AM

Damn I didn't know their pay scale was that low..I drive for Crete by the way
Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

If you do a search here on this site you will find a TON of negatives about Werner. Their pay rate is one of the lowest, and they don't have a good reputation for a reason.

Their website doesn't layout all the details for a good reason. If it was easy to understand nobody would drive for them. BOL

Longsnowsm
Old 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Rookie
Default Werner's reputation ......

Management is made up of those that were the most undesirables they could find. Drivers are as important to them as roadkill.

Yes, I had to start somewhere but ran at 6 months.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Rookie
Default newbie choices

I'm starting @ Werner this Monday, I'll keep you guys & gals posted.
I was pre-hired by all the big guys out of CDL school.
Everybodies needs are different. Read the posts , there are horror stories about plenty of companies.
Helpful hint, access your own personal needs & do your homework.
Remember reading these posts is like mining for gold back in the good ole' days.
You break through a lot of crap till you get to something, then you have to sift through the little bit of truth. Maybe you'll get a little golden nugget of insight.
Majority of the postings are from pretenders, liars, wanna-be's, and just internet creeps. OH, don't forget recruiters are here too, but they are only just doing their jobs(bottom sucking parasites)
I have communicated with some great members on this site and have gotten good information, but beware!!!
Workers pretend to work, Managers pretend to manager.
Respect is still earned.
Remember it's not the face your f***ing, it's the f**k your facing
Old 09-21-2006, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelburner
Damn I didn't know their pay scale was that low..I drive for Crete by the way
wsclinger9869, why isnt Crete on your list?
We have a terminal in Columbus on crosswind dr. over by the mall.

Stop on in and talk to the drivers. They'll tell you how they like it.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Hey Pappa Jake. What happened with TMC? Thought you were goin there? Just curious.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Rookie
Default Werner

it was between the two from the start, i was concerned about being dependent on the building supply business or heavy manufacturing, it wasn't the tarping and flatbed stuff. with the of building of the Freedom Tower to start soon, I'm sure there will be a great need in my area for the next five years. Fred and his crew will do great. i guess my instructors @ CDL school influenced my opinion, maybe they are just old and lazy, just kidding. kept reading all these posts and got crazy. you really have to consider these sources of information. in my opinion there are a lot of credibility issues, each individual is different. I've been unemployed for months and have drastically changed careers, so i had a lot of time to read & post stuff. like i said before consider the sources. Losers that can't hold a job anywhere. People posing as experienced drivers only to find that maybe they have 6 months in the seat. this stuff goes on & on & on.
the worst is people touting companies and they turn out to be recruiters.
"a guy wants to sell you a diamond ring for five dollars, guess what? it' still a five dollar diamond ring. Just have to trust your instincts. i was an upper-level manager, had about 1000 employees, middle managers, general managers. I had to train people at all levels. I was actually good at it, made some money for 15 years. got crapped on, stabbed in the back, became too valuable to my boss and never got promoted, sound like corporate America. So ,I thought that maybe I could take that experience and driver a few years and then be a trainer. No hidden agenda here. Forgive me for the purge & long winded post but I just had to say it. I truly would like to help people in the future and yea I want to make more money too.
To all that are true believers and friends out there. Best of Luck
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Werner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Jake
it was between the two from the start, i was concerned about being dependent on the building supply business or heavy manufacturing, it wasn't the tarping and flatbed stuff. with the of building of the Freedom Tower to start soon, I'm sure there will be a great need in my area for the next five years. Fred and his crew will do great. i guess my instructors @ CDL school influenced my opinion, maybe they are just old and lazy, just kidding. kept reading all these posts and got crazy. you really have to consider these sources of information. in my opinion there are a lot of credibility issues, each individual is different. I've been unemployed for months and have drastically changed careers, so i had a lot of time to read & post stuff. like i said before consider the sources. Losers that can't hold a job anywhere. People posing as experienced drivers only to find that maybe they have 6 months in the seat. this stuff goes on & on & on.
the worst is people touting companies and they turn out to be recruiters.
"a guy wants to sell you a diamond ring for five dollars, guess what? it' still a five dollar diamond ring. Just have to trust your instincts. i was an upper-level manager, had about 1000 employees, middle managers, general managers. I had to train people at all levels. I was actually good at it, made some money for 15 years. got crapped on, stabbed in the back, became too valuable to my boss and never got promoted, sound like corporate America. So ,I thought that maybe I could take that experience and driver a few years and then be a trainer. No hidden agenda here. Forgive me for the purge & long winded post but I just had to say it. I truly would like to help people in the future and yea I want to make more money too.
To all that are true believers and friends out there. Best of Luck
Best of luck to ya future driver. Only time will tell if you made the right choice. Please do check out the PM I sent you.
There's good and bad at ALL companies. The key is finding the bad you can deal with and the good that makes you happy.
Just a little surprised that you chose Werner over TMC. Maverick I could deal with and a few others too. But Werner?? I haven't seen too many (if any) posts on here where anyone would have made that choice given his approved status with TMC unless flatbedding in general was an issue, then I understand.
Stay safe and be well,
Fred