User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Conway driver (Buckeye)

Started this thread so the other isn't hijacked......

What terminal are you out of? I hear you on the slowing down. I'm on the road flex and number five on the board out of 15. I work every night but if there are no runs I work the night FAC at our terminal. I was used to running 5 nights a week so it's a big change to running about 2 times a week sometimes more and more times less. I have also been thinking of moving on, trying to hang on though. There are a couple Conway drivers on this site, haven't talked to them much so don't know how slow they are but the way it sounds everyone is slow?
I really don't think the company is hurting at all, I just think they are doing business smarter by adding more tonnage per trailers and less runs with more via's. I have gotten some big paying via's though lately.
I am going to try UPS, from all the drivers I have talked to everyone says UPS or Holland. So I'm going to try UPS, If I get an offer I'm going and if not I'll stay.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:29 AM

Yep I agree with them cutting those two bids and cutting loads. It has tremendously effected my pay. I hate to say it but someone overheard the assistant TM and TM saying if it doesn't pick up they will have to do some lay offs or as conway says it "Economic Restructuring". I'm out of XFW. I'm also number 11 out of 12 on the flex so as you can see I have reason to be nervous.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Board Regular
Default UPS

What part of the country are you guys in ? Denver Service Center is the only one I am aware of that will hire drivers off the street. Midwest I know nothing about, same with the East Coast. Other than that, you work your way up. But, you can go from part-time to full time fairly fast if you work hard and are reliable. Best of luck. Con-Way drivers would be perfect for us...And Denver will run you as teams on the road board. Great dinero though...
Old 08-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm going to try UPS in Columbus, Ohio. I don't think they hire off the street for feeder drivers here though? I'm going to find out Monday though.

Buckeye-That rumor has been going around too at Columbus about laying off drivers. I hope that they don't but you never know? Then another rumor is we are going to go to 7 days a week and cut rates then the ole rumor someone is going to buy us, hell they have sold everything off so LTL is all we have left. Really being number 1 on the flex is no betterthan the last driver on the flex if lay offs do happen. Hopefully every thing will work out.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Rookie

I work as an apprentice dsr at XAB and there is a sign hanging up about how bad July 2006 was for ICP. Personally, I am leaving the company on Monday as I cannot work for $225 a week and have no hope of going full time. I already have all the things needed to drive but there are no full time openings. Drivers are not getting 40hrs or barely and last week the linehaul guys only had 6 runs so most had to come in and work the dock to get there hours in for the week.

There is also an email hanging up from the president or vp of conway saying they sold off many underperforming businesses and have no intentions of selling out.

I would be curious to know what it is like across the country to see if its that slow.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Sorry to hear that things at Central and Southern are slow.

Things are a bit better in my corner of Western. Between vacations and vacancies we were short handed at my terminal(URE) this past week. The CDL class is going to let out in three weeks and so we don't want to hire anyone.

I had to run every night and I'm the junior guy on outbound!

The FAC in Sacramento did seem a bit slower than normal, but I did not stick around long to get a good look as I was tight on hours for the entire week. You know that its going to be a long week when you burn your extension on Monday.

Fred, I know in the past here in Reno UPS has hired guys for feeders off the street. Not everyone is down for the good times of running Donner every night in the winter when you can make the same $ in a package car on days.

Ian
Old 08-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Glad to hear you guys are busy Ian. Send some freight our way!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:03 PM

Really tell me about it. Our average is about 450,000 per night on outbound and for about the past three months we are down to only about 300,000. This last week we had some bid guys not even run 3 days. Kinda sux. I'm between a rock and a hard place.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

You guys ever check out this site? http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/index.php

It has a Conway section, pretty good site for LTL companys but like CAD better but I allways see what they are talking about.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Board Member

What's keeping us above water on volume in Reno is a newsprint account. We get 3-5 maxed out long boxes per day of newspaper inserts. On a good day we get 150k lbs+ from just that. If you exclude that we're down also.