User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DO I NEED THE REFRESHINING COURSE

Hey fellow truckers i am faced with a moderen day dilima.I went thru a trucking school back in 2002 to get my CDL i finished the course in november of that year.I did the craziest thing ever by not using my liecense straight out the gate.I found me a nice job in the area that i live in that called for me to have a b class cdl.The problem that im running into now is that with me wanting to go over the road now is that when i apply to different jobs the school that i went to isn't even open no more could that be a reason why i dont get any response from other companys?So i have spoke with a recruiter and he told me that i could pay 500$$$ and go to a refreshing course for a week should i go and will it look better on my resume for future employees and will it help me to get a good job?
Any day that you awake 6 feet above the ground is considered a good day.And also for those who don't believe in themselves they will never achieve a goal they will only keep feeding that disease that was given to them by society which so happens to be negativity
Old 09-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member

99% of companies that are involved in OTR will want you to either go through a refresher course, or do the whole thing all over again. They look at it as you have been out of school for almost 4 years.....and never had an "A" job..... So to them your skills are "rustier" than they want to trust.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Default REFRESHER COURSE

"recruiter told me that I could pay $500 and go to a refreshing course for a week"
Ask that recruiter telling you that, to give you a signed letter from the company he represents that the company will accept you into company orientation and OTR training after you complete refresher training. Make him put up or shut up. Your point is to get someone to validate they'll hire you after springing for the $500 and spending the time in training. BOL
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Board Regular

Keep in mind that you likely will have to go through 3-4 weeks training, even with a refresher, as you don't have any OTR experience. Most insurance companies would require it.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Rookie
Default Re: REFRESHER COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
"recruiter told me that I could pay $500 and go to a refreshing course for a week"
Ask that recruiter telling you that, to give you a signed letter from the company he represents that the company will accept you into company orientation and OTR training after you complete refresher training. Make him put up or shut up. Your point is to get someone to validate they'll hire you after springing for the $500 and spending the time in training. BOL
yeah sealord you r right i gave thought to all that but im really considering buying my on truck the more and more i think about it.Would this be cool
Any day that you awake 6 feet above the ground is considered a good day.And also for those who don't believe in themselves they will never achieve a goal they will only keep feeding that disease that was given to them by society which so happens to be negativity
Old 09-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnamedShannon
Keep in mind that you likely will have to go through 3-4 weeks training, even with a refresher, as you don't have any OTR experience. Most insurance companies would require it.
Hey what up shannon see i drive for a company now but im just trying to venture out in to a situation where i can make so money where i wont have to be lumpin plus with this company i'll drive a box truck one day and a tractor trailor the next
Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Hey what up shannon see i drive for a company now but im just trying to venture out in to a situation where i can make so money where i wont have to be lumpin plus with this company i'll drive a box truck one day and a tractor trailor the next
It does not matter. If you are not doing OTR work then you will most likely be sent out with a trainer for several weeks. Driving the rig is only a very small part of what an OTR driver needs to know.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
It does not matter. If you are not doing OTR work then you will most likely be sent out with a trainer for several weeks. Driving the rig is only a very small part of what an OTR driver needs to know.
Uturn i understand that thats even with me operating in other states wit the likes of ind,ohio,ill these are the states that i operate in
Old 09-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Most companies will not recognize a 3 state area as regional let alone OTR. The bottom line is that you can whine about it all you want, but if you are wanting real OTR work then you are going to have to do what the companies want to be considered qualified. Otherwise keep your current job.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Most companies will not recognize a 3 state area as regional let alone OTR. The bottom line is that you can whine about it all you want, but if you are wanting real OTR work then you are going to have to do what the companies want to be considered qualified. Otherwise keep your current job.
Trust me im not WHINNING at all just asking for a little advice i am a very understanding person .Trust me i know how to take the bitter wit tha sweet.I'm more than gamed for what lie's ahead of whatever road i take.