User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear that Central is having so problems.

Stay safe and I wish you both the best of luck at you new gigs.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Senior Board Member

western is have the same problems too.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 09-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Well Monday was my last day. Went to Roadway's orientation and go on the board tomorrow at 5am. Back to living by the phone but it doesn't seem to bad with Roadway, they have a 800# you can call to find out were the board is and if they are running at rest (getting called back in after your 10 hour break). My plan is to just stay out for my 12 tours and get my 3 days off, hopefully that will work and I don't get sent back home?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:59 AM

Best of luck ben. I used to drive for yellow for two years. As I am sure you know yellow and roadway are now one. Do not get excited about the 800 number for updates. At my terminal they didnt do one half the time and when they did they would say its slow and then your phone would ring at 3am to go to NYC. It is a great job but be prepared for many ups and downs until you get some seniority. Biggest thing is make sure you know what you are suppost to get paid for. They pay you for everything-and I do mean everything, but you have to put in for it. Locate the union rep and talk to him about all the things you get paid for. The company will not. Good luck. If I can help let me know.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Hi teamster, thanks for the reply. Well today didn't go to well. Was told I went on the board this morning at 5am, well turns out its tomorrow at 5am. I live 2 hours away so I headed towards Columbus at 4:45am so I would have 2 hours to arrive for work. Not a very big deal though.

I was very impressed with what Roadway will pay you for your time. Conway had alot of those perks but not like the way Roadway's are.

I do have a couple questions though: When dispatched is it better to stay out or use the R43 to get back home? Seems like if you coming out of bed they are more likely to keep you moving rather than paying you to sit in the hotel. If your sitting at home your not a big concern to keep moving.

If your not concerned about getting home every 3 tours, obviously you can make more with the wheels turning than sitting. Is it wise to not try to collect hours while sitting so you can have more available hours to drive? or is that a NO-NO with Roadway? At Conway I would not charge all the hours I worked so I would have more hours available to get the good runs, when you slow there is no advantage but if your busy your allways close to being out of hours.

I havnt really had alot of time to talk to drivers to figure out ways to do things, at Conway I knew all the ways the play the game and get the most money.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Hi teamster, thanks for the reply. Well today didn't go to well. Was told I went on the board this morning at 5am, well turns out its tomorrow at 5am. I live 2 hours away so I headed towards Columbus at 4:45am so I would have 2 hours to arrive for work. Not a very big deal though.

I wouldnt do the same thing tomorrow unless they are very busy. Just because you are available at 5am by no means you should always expect a call at that time. You may sit for a while. It really depends on what kind of board they run. If its a hogboard you may sit for days, if they use a wheel board you are in much better shape.

I was very impressed with what Roadway will pay you for your time. Conway had alot of those perks but not like the way Roadway's are.

I do have a couple questions though: When dispatched is it better to stay out or use the R43 to get back home? Seems like if you coming out of bed they are more likely to keep you moving rather than paying you to sit in the hotel. If your sitting at home your not a big concern to keep moving.

I am not familiar with the R43 term. Yellow did not use that. Every terminal is different on how long they will keep you out. Basically when I first started you were just lucky to be working so I would request to stay out as long as possible. At my terminal they had to return you home after two beds unless you volunteered to stay out. If they forced you on a third bed they had to pay you 8hrs plus the trip. This works well when it is busy cuz youve got them by the balls.

If your not concerned about getting home every 3 tours, obviously you can make more with the wheels turning than sitting. Is it wise to not try to collect hours while sitting so you can have more available hours to drive? or is that a NO-NO with Roadway? At Conway I would not charge all the hours I worked so I would have more hours available to get the good runs, when you slow there is no advantage but if your busy your allways close to being out of hours.

Like I said they pay you for everyting and you should take full advantage of that. If you sit broke down for 2hrs and dont put in to get paid for it, and then you get home and sit on the board for 2 days you will wish you charged it. In any case just make sure if you put in for downtime that your logs reflect it. Most of the time your on the clock stuff doesnt really prevent you from running. Like I said best thing to do is know who your union steward is and ask him questions. Hope this all helps.

I havnt really had alot of time to talk to drivers to figure out ways to do things, at Conway I knew all the ways the play the game and get the most money.
Thanks in advance.